January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

The reason why?

It's not really a 'free' as he's in contract and not asked for a transfer, we'll have to give him a big pay off (probably have to pay his contract up at least).

No we wont they will loan him until his contract expires

Can’t see him selling, doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to sell.

He bought a run down mansion. Did it up, and then decided he couldn’t be bothered with the up keep. Now its back to its original state, yet he wants all the money he put in to be reflected in its sale. 

just shows he doesn't have a fecking clue of the business he is in and never did

if we can get the KEA back that played the first few games for us then that would be a big help now, we really need his industry and tackling right now.......... presuming he can remember how to pass to his own players.

He's crap, will probably leave in summer

Can’t see him selling, doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to sell.

He bought a run down mansion. Did it up, and then decided he couldn’t be bothered with the up keep. Now its back to its original state, yet he wants all the money he put in to be reflected in its sale. 

Ah now we are getting to the meat of the subject. It all becomes clear now. He brought Aston Villa, and was ok to use the existing manager, push the button on existing plans like the Holte pub, training ground facilities, - but actually when he had to come up with his own ideas he hasn't got the where with all to see it through - despite many rumours the new north stand was never built - His managerial appointments disastorous.

So I am now 90% sure he doesn't give a flying fig about us, he holds AVFC as an asset - he won't sell at a loss - but in the meantime AVFC is set to tumble through the divisions - Lerner out !

My prediction for this week is an extremely underwhelming deadline deal that will cause it to kick off on here even more than if nothing had happened at all. Either someone pretty shite in a position we are severely lacking or someone that is actually fairly decent, but in a position that is currently better equipped for the run in.

Edited by flamingsombrero

I am pretty sure that if Randy Lerner sat down and read all these posts - he would be deeply saddened and aggrivated. And if he then called up 10 of those posters and spent a day showing how things works as an owner for Aston Villa, all of those people would have a totally different view on things. He has made a few bad calls like everyone else in the game has done, and the appointment of Alex McLeish I will never know the whole story behind, but on the whole the thing about owning a football club is spending a lot of money. You have to appoint the right people in the administration, the people that get zero attention and we don't hear anything about, as well as the manager who appoints his own staff. Getting around these decisions are very hard, extremely hard, but the appointment of Paul Lambert was accepted by 99% of everyone on here. The ones who said no at the time were either just opposing or without a better candidate at hand. Sure there were Roberto Martinez, Ole Gunnar Solskjær and a few other of the same calibre, but Lambert was the man. Regarding Alex McLeish, and I am not one to believe in silly theories about aliens and NASA hidings of information, the only explanation was to get a season where we performed so close to oblivion that our expectations just plummited and hence made the job easier for the next guy. Our team was basically too good to go down and we didn't, creating leeway for Lambert when he came in. Of course, this was not the case but it is the only viable theory I have!! The expectations for Lambert were too high though, and even though we started disasterously and just kept on doing worse, people were sticking by him even though most of the harm was done by him. I have explained this before; he was cocky and arrogant when he came in, we liked it because that is how every good manager acts, but without results you are immediately an eccentric dud everyone wants to get rid of. Promising certain playing patterns, believing you are so good at developing talents into superstars that every signing can be at 500K and 10K wages - in fact just playing real-life FM with the club we all love.

Now I am not saying Lerner is the perfect owner. He is not, basically because he does not spend tons of money and because he is shy of attention which leads to a lot of idiots spitting out their venom. I don't want an owner who talks to the media all the time like the ones at West Ham or interfers with business like Abramovich. In terms of numbers he has spent a lot of dollars, but results have gone against us and he has refrained from doing it all over. I understand that perfectly well. Doing well and spending little like Everton is not for everyone, just like everyone can't have the scouting network of Arsenal. Since Doug Ellis left the building (well, the main office) a lot of clubs have come along with new owners. A lot of clubs spend money and now we have Spurs, Newcastle, Liverpool, Stoke, Sunderland, Fulham (at least wages) can spend money as well as Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea. The competition is much harder than what it was in 2006 and we have no godgiven right to be top 8 anymore, just as much as we cannot expect to buy player for 20M net every window. Would I rather have Everton's owner? Hell no.

I hate it when fans on here, everyone from 14 to 50 year olds without any sort of relevant academic degree, start to talk about wages and solutions - basically acting like internet accountants. And when ten people agree on something it is suddenly gospel and Lerner is the bad guy. Most of us, and I certainly include myself, don't know anything about what is going on at Villa behind the scenes. Lerner is not the best owner, but there are 20 people "owning" clubs in this league (including multiple owners of course) and ours is certainly not the worst. Would we rather have that guy from Newcastle? Two years ago their fans were hunting him down and forcing him to sell and he would have if he found the right buyer. Now they are doing better overall, it just goes to show how quickly things change with some results. They are doing worse in the league again this year, but that has got more to do with management and unluck. They are buying players and guess most of their fans are content. What about the guys at Blackburn? The reaction on here signals we have owners compared to them, people who obviously don't know what they are doing. A lot of shit has gone against us the last couple of seasons, including Man City arriving and buying our best players two seasons in a row. They took our slot in the table and beyond, took our best players and made sure Champions League would be impossible for a team like us, especially as we are not from London and can't get our hands on players Tottenham could get on the same wages. Top 4 became a nightmare, and only a year before that it was a reachable dream.

It pans down to the manager. A great manager, especially one that inherits a mediocre team, with a few rough diamonds like Ireland and N'Zogbia, Darren Bent, Shay Given, Richard Dunne etc, and also gets 20M to spend would do MUCH better than Lambert has done. I have seen so many ridiculous explanations of why Lambert is still great and that our team is THAT awful. Yes it is pretty bad evidently, but a good manager can work with it and grind out results. A great manager makes Ireland and N'Zogbia return to former levels and he sure doesn't bench Darren Bent for Jordan Bowery. Excuses have come from right, left and centre - pretty much saying every one of our players are awful (why were they not last year when McLeish was here?) - but a manager of a certain level makes things work anyway. Suddenly Darren Bent is at the same level as Francis Jeffers and he doesn't fit into the team. Fit into what exactly? I sure as hell cannot see any other player fit that well into our system, as we are letting in a lot of goals and scoring very few.

A lot is wrong with this club at the moment, and we don't know what will happen in a few years. But to blame everything solely on Randy Lerner is ignorant in my mind, because he sure is above many of the other prospects and there sure is a lot of idiots running football clubs in England. If he finds a new potential owner to give us a lot of cash every window then fine, but again, it is not a godgiven right except for a few selected others. The play on the pitch is in the hands of Lambert, and what he has grinded out with this material is under the bare minimum thus far. Hindsight is a bitch, because we can talk about it and say I told you so, but Lerner has to make one decision and stick with it until results are in a year later. People are mad because we aren't spending 20M every time, but look at the others clubs and show me who is doing it. We are 5th or 6th in net expenditure over the last 5-6 years I think, but our managers have performed badly. Now, is Lerner the first owner to hire crap managers? For every successful story like David Moyes, there are 40 others like Owen Coyle, the problem is that a gazillion people on the internet believe the former is the thing to expect every single time a club hires a manager. Our (big) problem is not Randy Lerner, I don't think the harrassment of him is warranted for one second, because for some reason he is taking the fall for our manager who is doing a very bad job this season at Aston Villa Football Club. In two years things could have changed for the better, we could suddenly find ourselves in top 10, spending some cash and doing OK - I guess chances are high Randy Lerner will still be here and Paul Lambert not.

Edited by Papillon
  • Like 2