Ashley Young

maqroll

If he does go he will go with very fond wishes from me. We were incredibly lucky to have him last season. he bailed us out multiple times. Never complained always was a leader on the pitch and even helped out by kindly telling the referees how to do their jobs at times which was good of him :)

Don't get the Young love in. Was good back in the O'Neill days but subsequently spent almost twice as long as a Man Utd player. Last season he was clearly not up to the standard so i certainly wouldn't want him back next season.

Heard him on 5Live a few months back and he came across as your typical cliche-ridden footballer, so not really an inspirational character I'd be desperate to see given a backroom staff role either.

Let's go forwards, not backwards.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

Don't get the Young love in.

I don't think anyone here thinks Ashley is the next best thing. He's at the end of his playing career and it is beginning to show; he knows it and everyone else is aware. But if the various stakeholders in the club can't be respectful of players then it is "turn off" for players to come to any old club never mind Aston Villa.

Here's a quote I just came up with:

Respect: some people lose it, others give it.

He was a body wasn't he, not much else, having here meant we could loan out guolvert, El ghazi, trez, ultimately Targett too

No complaints from me he played OK when asked to, would like to think he trained well and acted like the experienced pro that he is around the youngsters coming through 

Lazy guess here - with him gone we don't have an outfield player over the age of 30 and olsen is the only player in the whole squad over 30

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He was a body wasn't he, not much else, having here meant we could loan out guolvert, El ghazi, trez, ultimately Targett too

No complaints from me he played OK when asked to, would like to think he trained well and acted like the experienced pro that he is around the youngsters coming through 

Lazy guess here - with him gone we don't have an outfield player over the age of 30 and olsen is the only player in the whole squad over 30

Coutinho is 30 tomorrow 😛 

Ings and Martinez will also be in a few weeks 

Edited by Zatman

Skipped past somebody to set up a huge goal against Brighton IIRC aside from that he's been as good as you'd expect from a 36 year old.  Was a strange signing if we are totally being honest. Really for a 14th place finish we would have been better off blooding a youngster or signing a solid journeymen in his 20s.

He tried hard, I've praised him as he never hid but really his performances were generally a net negative when he played.

• Like 2

Would be kinda nice if he did a final season at Watford to end his career but not sure he's keen on the Championship slog at his age after the career he's had. Don't see a role for him here next season and I hope we move on.

Was one of my favorite players the first time he was here and I get why we brought him in this time.

Anyway thanks.

Its all felt weird him being here again. Like one of those weird dreams where everything seems normal and all appears in place but you know somethings off. Like I’ve gone to an ex’s house from a over a decade ago and expected everyone to treat me the same as before and be happy to see me. Hard to explain. Bizarre signing. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Its all felt weird him being here again. Like one of those weird dreams where everything seems normal and all appears in place but you know somethings off. Like I’ve gone to an ex’s house from a over a decade ago and expected everyone to treat me the same as before and be happy to see me. Hard to explain. Bizarre signing. 

I couldn’t agree more. Made no sense. 

Where has a year gone? Doesn't seem like 5 minutes since that welcome video where he was talking about being here to play every game and VT arguing about if his legs had gone. 

Â