Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

8 hours ago, Greenfly said:

Loyalty seems to be so rare in the game these days, so respect to him. He could've easily turned his back on them for money, but he didn't.

Totally agree, you've gotta respect that. Very similar to our situation with Jack really. Hopefully it becomes a more widespread thing in football.

• Like 1

On 16/11/2020 at 03:45, John said:

Interesting interview by Henry Winter with Kalvin Phillips from Saturday's Times. Direct from the player on how near he came to joining us last year:

Talking of transfers, Phillips explains why he didn’t move to Aston Villa after Leeds were knocked out of the Championship play-offs by Derby County in 2019 and the club were short of cash.

“There’d been a lot of talk about me possibly leaving and obviously Leeds United’s financial situation,” he recalls. “It was one of the first weeks of pre-season we came into this room here with Victor [Orta, the Leeds director of football] and ‘Jay’ [James Mooney, the club’s head of media and communications].”

Orta asked Phillips: “What do you want to do?” Phillips was torn. He loves Leeds. “There was Premier League football there and money there that I’d never, ever seen before in my life. If I do make this move, I’ll look after my family and the heartache of not making it [promotion] was just devastating. Do I really want to leave on this note? Do I really want to leave without doing anything with Leeds? I have loads of Leeds family, so they were getting stuck into me, saying, ‘You’d better not leave.’ Everything was going through my head.” So he told Orta, “I just don’t know.”

Orta, a warm man, occasionally fiery, said to him, “If you want to leave now then tell me and we can sell you. But if you don’t or you don’t know then I’m not going to sell you.” Phillips replied again, “I don’t know.” Orta’s mind was made up. “I’m not selling you.” Phillips was relieved. “This is my club. I’ve been at Leeds since I was 14, been through so many bad times and then to see the good times is something I will treasure for ever.” Bremner would have approved.

I can only respect him more after that. I like it when I see players doing and saying that. Him and Grealish shown loyalty. I wanted Phillips at Villa, but I'm happy to read that (while I don't particularly like Leeds). I think English Football is being at it's best. (Well, a lot can say that it's because of Aston Villa, which could very well be true). But I've been saying that since last year. I like how teams are keeping their best players, and telling the bigger clubs to .....

The FFP seem to make every club to think a lot before taking any step. Which is really great and could give teams the chance to success. It also give players who want to stay at their club the chance to compete with their original clubs while getting paid as much as anywhere.

In reality, even Top 6 clubs aren't winning titles that regular!! Spurs haven't won anything for years, Others are winning the odd cup now and then. It's only Liverpool, City and Chelsea who's been winning the last couple of years. The map changed a lot, it was Arsenal Man Utd, then Man Utd Chelsea. Then Man City came. Then Man Utd got out of the picture for Liverpool. Finally Chelsea started to regress. Although I think this year that Chelsea are the strongest team, but it's showing how that in this league if you didn't work well, you won't achive anything and will left behind.

1 hour ago, YouUnastanFren said:

I was impressed when they signed a current German international CB for less than £20m despite not knowing a lot about him.

It's starting to seem like that's not quite as prestigious of a title as it once was

He had a mare last night though not the only one in the team

11 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

The FFP seem to make every club to think a lot before taking any step. Which is really great and could give teams the chance to success. It also give players who want to stay at their club the chance to compete with their original clubs while getting paid as much as anywhere.

In reality, even Top 6 clubs aren't winning titles that regular!! Spurs haven't won anything for years, Others are winning the odd cup now and then. It's only Liverpool, City and Chelsea who's been winning the last couple of years. The map changed a lot, it was Arsenal Man Utd, then Man Utd Chelsea. Then Man City came. Then Man Utd got out of the picture for Liverpool. Finally Chelsea started to regress. Although I think this year that Chelsea are the strongest team, but it's showing how that in this league if you didn't work well, you won't achive anything and will left behind.

Not every club and that's still the problem. The Manchester clubs, along with Chelsea and Liverpool, seem to get away with spending whatever they want, irrespective of FFP. 

I still think if you finish above Liverpool you will win the league. Injuries have put them to the test, but I suspect that at the end of the day the usual suspects will fight it out, it would be nice if another club could break into their club this year. Leicester, Southampton or even us....;)

4 hours ago, John said:

Not every club and that's still the problem. The Manchester clubs, along with Chelsea and Liverpool, seem to get away with spending whatever they want, irrespective of FFP. 

I still think if you finish above Liverpool you will win the league. Injuries have put them to the test, but I suspect that at the end of the day the usual suspects will fight it out, it would be nice if another club could break into their club this year. Leicester, Southampton or even us....;)

It’s still restricting them. Man Utd failed to get Sancho or Jack. Liverpool are moving carefully. Chelsea were punished. Pep said last season that Grealish is probably out of their reach. Spurs and Arsenal, well...

12 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

It’s still restricting them. Man Utd failed to get Sancho or Jack. Liverpool are moving carefully. Chelsea were punished. Pep said last season that Grealish is probably out of their reach. Spurs and Arsenal, well...

I see your point but Newton Heath just thought they could take advantage of the current situation, by making low bids for players, in the expectation that less well off clubs than themselves would be desperate for any sort of money during the last window. I'm glad to see that they were wrong on that.

I'm sorry, I just don't like FFP and I don't give it credit for anything, other than protecting the position of those clubs that you mention. It was allegedly brought in to prevent clubs folding, Bury and Macclesfield have shown that it's not doing that job very well.  

10 hours ago, John said:

I see your point but Newton Heath just thought they could take advantage of the current situation, by making low bids for players, in the expectation that less well off clubs than themselves would be desperate for any sort of money during the last window. I'm glad to see that they were wrong on that.

I'm sorry, I just don't like FFP and I don't give it credit for anything, other than protecting the position of those clubs that you mention. It was allegedly brought in to prevent clubs folding, Bury and Macclesfield have shown that it's not doing that job very well.  

So how were things prior the FFP? It was only Man Utd, Arsenal. Then Liverpool use to do well the odd season. Until Abramovic came and changed the map. Then City and PSG who were exceptions as they were governmental investments. 
But after the FPP, Atletico, Atlanta, Leicester and Wolves all has seen themselves as forces coming with the right approach. 
Arsenal, Man Utd regressed a lot in the last couple of years. Barcelona are the same. 

On 17/11/2020 at 17:29, Greenfly said:

Loyalty seems to be so rare in the game these days, so respect to him. He could've easily turned his back on them for money, but he didn't.

His Dad is also in prison aswell which I didn't know so big respect to Phillips for how he's kicked on under Bielsa.

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

His Dad is also in prison aswell which I didn't know so big respect to Phillips for how he's kicked on under Bielsa.

He was mates with an ex of mine when he was about 15 and there were signs of him going down the wrong path way back then, some of the people he used to be friends with never left that and have sort of ruined their lives.

Good for him for getting out of all that teenage nonsense. He seems like a really genuine lad and you don't get many of those coming through  at any club anymore.

• Like 3

not sure why he's being compared to luiz, from memory we tried to sign both, we ended up with nakamba when we couldnt get phillips

mcginn - luiz - phillips would have been an excellent midfield

if we had signed phillips i imagine we'd have pushed mcginn up and wouldnt need barkley

18 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

So how were things prior the FFP? It was only Man Utd, Arsenal. Then Liverpool use to do well the odd season. Until Abramovic came and changed the map. Then City and PSG who were exceptions as they were governmental investments. 
But after the FPP, Atletico, Atlanta, Leicester and Wolves all has seen themselves as forces coming with the right approach. 
Arsenal, Man Utd regressed a lot in the last couple of years. Barcelona are the same. 

Not that bad actually. It depends how far you go back and some us on here go back a long way (including myself;)). 

You are correct, since the PL began it has been rare for someone outside Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and the Manchester clubs to challenge for the title. In my opinion good and bad management decisions, have had more impact on clubs regressing and improving, than FFP has. 

Back on topic, I would guess that the majority of Leeds fans would also see improvements in how their club has been managed rather than FFP, as having had the greater influence on their eventual return to the PL.  We both obviously have differing opinions on FFP and each of us are clearly not for changing our opinions, which is fair enough. 

• Like 1

Phillips is a good player at what he does.....If his heart was at Leeds he did the right thing and stayed there.

what we want is players with their heart at Villa.......we have shoe horned in players from the past and it doesn't always work.

We see first hand now, players that want to be with us, even loan players show the love, like Tammy and Ross.....then you see Dougie walking in to the Brazil training reception, with a Villa mask on.....Mingsy going home to Bournemouth, when he was on Loan in his Villa kit.

This club of our is so infectious.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, John said:

Not that bad actually. It depends how far you go back and some us on here go back a long way (including myself;)). 

You are correct, since the PL began it has been rare for someone outside Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and the Manchester clubs to challenge for the title. In my opinion good and bad management decisions, have had more impact on clubs regressing and improving, than FFP has. 

Back on topic, I would guess that the majority of Leeds fans would also see improvements in how their club has been managed rather than FFP, as having had the greater influence on their eventual return to the PL.  We both obviously have differing opinions on FFP and each of us are clearly not for changing our opinions, which is fair enough. 

It’s always great to discuss with you, we always add a lot of things and knowledge by just reading your posts or threads. Having different views isn’t an issue as you mentioned, but discussing them isn’t an issue too. I think from my perspective, the FFP made the right management more valuable. It made it easier to progress, and easier to regress. I was against it before, but with time gone, I think it was a good thing. Otherwise teams won’t stop buying players or looking at their accounts. FFP made everyone think about their way of managing things. 
When I said let’s look back I meant Premier League days, before that it was purely management. 
After the FFP and with the way PL give the money almost equally, it gave all teams an advantage. Everyone is available to keep their best players. 
In the old PL days, Palace won’t be able to keep Zaha, we won’t be able to keep Jack, possibly even Spurs won’t keep Kane, West Ham won’t keep Rice, Leeds won’t keep Phillips....etc

• Like 1

Â