Media and punditry

BOF

I'm not even nearly exaggerating when i say I could go on ITV and be the best pundit on it. Lee Dixon would run me close.

And I think I'd be a shit pundit, fwiw.

Also, does ANYONE, and I do mean anyone, like Adrian Chiles? This must be how Newcastle fans feel at the moment.

Moi

Lineker obvious dislike of Villa does come through doesn't it? Saying being 3rd after 5 games is false for us, whilst plucky Southampton get the credit. On a aside just how dull is Phil Neville? Listening to him on the Villa game all he does is echo back the question he is given. The worst case of boring, unimaginative, meat and two veg, English football thinking. Its like listening to beige talk.

Edited by The Fun Factory

I think it's because all the pundits aren't as rabidly pro Villa as this forum would like them to be so therefore the program is shit, Lineker is worse than cancer and everybody who watches it deserves to die. Or something. 

• Like 3

No it's just that CED hates everything because he's really cool.

MOTD isn't shit. It's actually very good. Like I said previously, you only have to remember back to ITV's effort with the weekly highlights to realise how shit it really could be.

What frustrates people is that it could be so much better. And bad pundits are the main focus. It's nothing to do with how pro or anti villa they are, it's to do with seemingly needing no qualifications, ability, nouse or quality beyond having played football professionally to get a job as a top pundit. Look ho wmuch Savage is getting pushed by the BBC. And he's crap.

Edited by Stevo985

MOTD is OK.

There's a lot of things I don't like it about it, the punditry and 'analysis' is shit and I don't like most of the commentators but despite all of that MOTD gives you the best highlights available, better than anything Sky do, and better than anything ITV did when it had its turn.  

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

How long ago was it that itv had motd, or "the premiership" as they called it, 15 years? I'm pretty certain it was about the year 2000, but I cant remember who they had fronting it and the pundits on there other than Townsend (and his tactics truck) and robbie earl

Yeah it was about 10 years ago I think.

Des Lynam fronted it. He jumped ship from BBC to ITV when they got the rights. Townsed featured heavily and i think Aly McCoist was the other main pundit. MIght be wrong though.

But it was crap. If you supported one of the big teams or your team was playing one of them then it was ok. Because the show comprised of 1 hour and 25 minutes of the highlights of the day's man united game and the arsenal game. Then all the other games got just the goals shown in the last 5 minutes.

Oh and breaks. Lots and lots of breaks.

• Like 1

Des Lynam fronted it. He jumped ship from BBC to ITV when they got the rights. Townsed featured heavily and i think Aly McCoist was the other main pundit. MIght be wrong though.

But it was crap. If you supported one of the big teams or your team was playing one of them then it was ok. Because the show comprised of 1 hour and 25 minutes of the highlights of the day's man united game and the arsenal game. Then all the other games got just the goals shown in the last 5 minutes.

And U2 from what I remember

And U2 from what I remember

It's a Beautiful Day wasn't it, which they used to play even if it had been pissing down.

• Like 1

It'll never be as bad as ITV's coverage was, but it does get a bit tiresome listening to the same blokes muttering the same generic phrases for 38 nights, year after year. 

I tend to just watch it on iPlayer and skip past all of the 'analysis', their coverage of the games is usually fairly appropriate for the relative entertainment value of the games that were played which is more than you used to be able to say for ITV.

The Tactics Truck was an ill-fated segment on piss poor ITV show The Premiership. It was hated by everyone and led many people to regard perpetrator Andy Townsend as one of history’s greatest monsters.

During a bleak period between 2001 and 2004, ITV managed to get their greasy, error-prone mitts on the Premier League highlights.

As well as putting the show on at stupid times, employing second-rate pundits, throwing in countless advert breaks and using U2's 'Beautiful Day' as its theme tune, ITV decided they wanted to add a segment dedicated to the tactical side of the game.

They did this by creating the Tactics Truck. The Truck would be parked outside grounds and unpopular numbskull Andy Townsend would replay goals, ringing things and stating the **** obvious.

Townsend would bring players into the Truck and explain to them why they conceded three goals against Bolton, often managing to say ‘I tell you what’ in excess of 100 times in four minutes. It was dismal, embarrassing, superfluous fare.

One of the few highlights of the Tactics Truck’s reign of ignominy was the visit of Dion Dublin, who was at the time plying his trade for Aston Villa and had netted against Liverpool.

After some typically uninspired comments including ‘It was a good goal, I’m pleased for you,’ to which Dublin responded ‘Cheers mate’, Townsend asked Dublin what he thought Villa’s chances were in the UEFA Cup and it emerged that the journeyman striker had no idea who his side were playing in midweek.

During a famous visit to the Tactics Truck, the segment was interrupted as the vehicle began to slowly move. Townsend had illegally parked outside Stamford Bridge and was towed away, swearing in protest out the window.

Hatred of the Tactics TruckEdit

The Tactics Truck came to be so reviled by football fans across the country that it had to be given 24-hour police protection.

Townsend, who drove, reported from and lived in the truck, has never shaken the stigma. indeed.

:D

• Like 1

Â