Media and punditry

BOF

9 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I thought the MOTD ‘analysis’ was piss poor! Murphy acknowledged our injuries at the back which is the bare minimum, no mention of who was out or how long for. The narrative was we scraped through and our performance wasn’t pretty, no discussion about the disallowed goals or penalty claim.

Just rubbish really, but then I need to remember MOTD isn’t for the likes of us on here that consume football at a deeper level. It’s for the casual observer who probably can’t name a full 11 of any team. 

You're mad to watch it, you can see the highlights on sky's YouTube channel 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

You're mad to watch it, you can see the highlights on sky's YouTube channel 

I only skipped to the Villa bit on iPlayer this morning, more just to see what they’re saying. I can’t be watching the whole programme tbh. 

On the 'Football' page on the Guardian website, our match report is the 19th listed article, just above Celtic v Kilmarnock's, and below Championship round-up, the Arsenal-Man U WSL report, an article about Rodri, and an article about the f******* Baltic league.

Edited by VillaJ100

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I enjoy watching it - I find it nostalgic - but if I live to be a million years old I won't understand why so many people on here get het up about the running order. 

Our game was a humdrum 2-1 win. The team you would expect to win won. None of the goals are goal of the season contenders. We're not in the title race, or the relegation battle. It's all fine. 

It’s because the media hates us!!!

**** yawn. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I enjoy watching it - I find it nostalgic - but if I live to be a million years old I won't understand why so many people on here get het up about the running order. 

Our game was a humdrum 2-1 win. The team you would expect to win won. None of the goals are goal of the season contenders. We're not in the title race, or the relegation battle. It's all fine. 

Not so sure the second goal was a beautiful move

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Not so sure the second goal was a beautiful move

It was a lovely team goal, I agree, but not so breathtaking that we just *had* to be moved up the running order because of it. 

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

It was a lovely team goal, I agree, but not so breathtaking that we just *had* to be moved up the running order because of it. 

If you’re asking me to take off these claret and blue tinted glasses, young man, you’re in for a big surprise

• Haha 4

I’ve got no problem with where Villa were in the running order, and I don’t think there’s a huge conspiracy against us. I think I just can’t stand Murphy, he’s rarely got owt good to say about Villa and he’s boring af.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I’ve got no problem with where Villa were in the running order, and I don’t think there’s a huge conspiracy against us. I think I just can’t stand Murphy, he’s rarely got owt good to say about Villa and he’s boring af.

He's never forgiven us for sacking the best manager on world football and replacing him with an okay average manager and were benefitting from the Scouse geniuses groundwork as the players let him down and wouldn't look him in the eye.

16 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

He's never forgiven us for sacking the best manager on world football and replacing him with an okay average manager and were benefitting from the Scouse geniuses groundwork as the players let him down and wouldn't look him in the eye.

I don’t buy the Gerrard theory. He was a moron and never complimented us before that. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I don’t buy the Gerrard theory. He was a moron and never complimented us before that. 

Yeah i have a feeling that maybe we rejected a chance to sign him and he has some resentment about

• Like 1

The media have got it in for us, despite them absolutely putting the boot in and revelling and making their money off when Arsenal, Chelsea and United lose.

The content surrounded a United loss is honestly putrid.

But the media favours them so much and is desperate for the top 4 to remain the top 4....

3 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

In general, the analysis of our games and performances on here (from the majority) is far and away more insightful than any professional outlet

It's to be expected that write ups of our performances by die hard Villa fans who watch every minute and that are written for the benefit of other Villa fans who watch every minute end up being a bit more insightful than a minute or two to sum up a game based on a small highlights segment for an audience that rarely watch us.

It's why I just never bother with punditry, at best it's cliff-notes for the ill-informed. You're never going to get any meaningful; analysis in the "so Alan..." 2 minute chat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

It's to be expected that write ups of our performances by die hard Villa fans who watch every minute and that are written for the benefit of other Villa fans who watch every minute end up being a bit more insightful than a minute or two to sum up a game based on a small highlights segment for an audience that rarely watch us.

It's why I just never bother with punditry, at best it's cliff-notes for the ill-informed. You're never going to get any meaningful; analysis in the "so Alan..." 2 minute chat. 

100% this

Said many times the target audience is not somebody who watches every week rain or shine, moans like **** about it but watches next week regardless 

The target audience are casual floaters who might watch next week if they're entertained, not bored with in depth analysis about teams they don't really care about 

England games have a target audience of people who watch an England game in the summer every 2 or 4 years, that's why they're so painful 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I agree, but you'd expect even some analysis of the game. 

Motd last night was a comment about our injuries, followed by shay given saying villa fans will be pleased by the win. 

These are 'professional' pundits, paid to make insightful commentary on what they watch

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

100% this

Said many times the target audience is not somebody who watches every week rain or shine, moans like **** about it but watches next week regardless 

The target audience are casual floaters who might watch next week if they're entertained, not bored with in depth analysis about teams they don't really care about 

England games have a target audience of people who watch an England game in the summer every 2 or 4 years, that's why they're so painful 

This! MOTD viewers don't care about Aston Villa, most of the target audience are scum 6 armchair fans that don't go to the games, or fairweather fans. 

So they are going to put more analysing into these games. 

Face facts we are not a big club in the eyes of the media. The fairweather fan couldn't give a toss about us.

I bet if they do a poll now (with the pundits)  with who will finish top 5 they will all say Spurs and Utd to get 4th and 5th. 

But when we finish top 4 they will all say its because of a poor season from Spurs/Utd/Chelsea, not that we have played some absolute fantastic football. 

Â