Media and punditry

BOF

16 hours ago, tomav84 said:

Quite a good listen this. Good insight on the Dan bardell and the way things were under Dr Tony etc

He kind of alludes to it but I don't think he can quite admit he was used by Dr Tony. Keep him onside the local mouthpiece for the club on social media. Butter him up and when it all inevitably goes tits up squeeze him to release positive stuff about the club and the ownership.

He still thinks Dr.T was a good guy it's a shame.

I know it's nothing new, but still ... it sometimes feels like Guardian Football Weekly podcast—which is the biggest football pod in the States, or was—just NEVER focuses on Villa. We're lucky if we get a single phrase, much less a complete sentence, in weekly roundups. There's an anti-Midlands bias that was so apparent to me when I lived in England, and it just never goes away. I guess I need to get used to it. There was a little more attention when Jordan Jarrett-Bryan was making fun of Villa supporters, but that's gone stale. OK, complaint done!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Just watched the Sky Sports transfer show and Vicky Gomersall (think that's her name) was proper taking the piss out of Khaveh and Darmesh.  Magnificent passive aggression.

She does this alot. There is just nothing to report at the moment transfer wise, so they come on talking about random players who might go to a team we have hardly heard of. 

17 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I know it's nothing new, but still ... it sometimes feels like Guardian Football Weekly podcast—which is the biggest football pod in the States, or was—just NEVER focuses on Villa. We're lucky if we get a single phrase, much less a complete sentence, in weekly roundups. There's an anti-Midlands bias that was so apparent to me when I lived in England, and it just never goes away. I guess I need to get used to it. There was a little more attention when Jordan Jarrett-Bryan was making fun of Villa supporters, but that's gone stale. OK, complaint done!

It's my favourite football podcast out there, and I know what you mean... but they have so much to cover in an hour (plus the usual bantz, such as the Jordan Jarrett-Bryan vs Villa stuff you mention) and focus tends to go on clubs doing badly or particularly well.  There's been a lot of discussion around Man Utd's struggles, but that seems to have tailed off now that they're doing better.  Similarly, the Newcastle takeover got a lot of coverage at the time - and very much on the negative side of it, to be fair to the podcast - but they rarely focus on them now.

As Villa are doing well enough but not fantastically, we get the standard amount of coverage.  I don't feel it's particularly biased or anti-Midlands, personally.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

So glad he found it so funny. ‘Mr Villa’ Gabby took this club for a ride

🙄🙄🙄🙄

I genuinely despise the man, what a word removed he is. Also, a manager arranges a training camp during the season, and the players are going to him moaning that they don't want to do their job? **** me, our squad was so poisonous at that time.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

He made me actually sympathise with Lambert when hearing that awful anecdote. The disrespect he had for the manager is not surprising. What a rotten bunch we had. 

Looking at the squad it was before Richards and Lescott etc so wondering who the other bad eggs were and was probably Lambert first 2 seasons. Cant imagine Benteke or Vlaar being bad. The only senior players were Guzan, Given, Nzogbia, El Ahmadi. The likes of Ireland, Dunne, Hutton were injured or on loan a lot

I think maybe Gabby was just a bad influence on the youngsters

Just now, Zatman said:

Looking at the squad it was before Richards and Lescott etc so wondering who the other bad eggs were and was probably Lambert first 2 seasons. Cant imagine Benteke or Vlaar being bad. The only senior players were Guzan, Given, Nzogbia, El Ahmadi. The likes of Ireland, Dunne, Hutton were injured or on loan a lot

I think Gabby has a lot to answer for - especially his influence over young players like Grealish and others who were coming through the ranks. 

The drinking culture was already there and a big problem amongst senior players like Dunne and Collins. 

It’s a shame it took relegation and the clown show of Xia to get us where we are now - but we needed a huge culture change and clear out 

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

It seems like the guy in the story is either Herd or Helenius given that they never played for us again after that training camp took place. Herd would be my guess since he was also involved in that nightclub incident along with Collins and Delph under McLeish. I think that influence from the rotten core of Dunne, Collins and Agbonlahor just permeated throughout our squad for those final Lerner years.

Just now, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

It seems like the guy in the story is either Herd or Helenius given that they never played for us again after that training camp took place. Herd would be my guess since he was also involved in that nightclub incident along with Collins and Delph under McLeish. I think that influence from the rotten core of Dunne, Collins and Agbonlahor just permeated throughout our squad for those final Lerner years.

I’m guessing it’s Herd as Helenius had that major sleep issue 

2 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Herd makes sense had actually forgot about him, was thinking was probably Bannan 

Was listing to talk Sport all day today in the car, so heard that Gabby story.  Also listened to the Talk Sport News every hour, I cannot explain how poor that is. Reading the same bull*** that's been talked about already to death changed very slightly every hour, it's just terrible terrible journalism, if that's even what you can call it.

Listening to it nearly all day today makes you realise Talk Sport needs a proper refresh, from the bull*** "simply the best" quiz in the morning to the utter drivel that is Hawksbee and Jacobs. Simon Jordan is the best thing on there, maybe cause the segment is not that old, but the rest, my goodness it's poor.

While I'm at it, this transfer show on SSN is just as poor too, the 2 chaps on it (can't remember there names) are a joke. All the info is "might happen", "been talking apparently". 😆

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

Karen Carney. Blues fan. Do one. Wouldn't even DHUTWU she's that bad. 

Jimmy floyd isnt a bad pundit though. Talks a bit of sense. 

Yeah said on another thread Carney is just another sad bloser looking for a pop at Villa at any opportunity 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The_Steve said:

So glad he found it so funny. ‘Mr Villa’ Gabby took this club for a ride

🙄🙄🙄🙄

I’ve just read about this ‘interview’ on the Birmingham Mail website and was going to search for it. Thanks for posting it.

The fact that Gabby still thinks this story is hilarious - and that i assume he’d probably do the same again if he was still playing  - speaks volumes about his immaturity. He still doesn’t get professionalism at all. Look at Ashley Young: a year older than Gabby, probably did things he regrets as a young man, but what a career he went on to have (and is still having). 

Never became a pro, did you, Gab? What a toxic waste. 

I still regret that this is most likely what Jack Grealish will become. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The_Steve said:

He made me actually sympathise with Lambert when hearing that awful anecdote. The disrespect he had for the manager is not surprising. What a rotten bunch we had. 

Nah, he has to take some blame. Its down to the manager to weed out the shit at the club and get rid. 

Bruce, for all his many faults, sorted out that side of the club 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Nah, he has to take some blame. Its down to the manager to weed out the shit at the club and get rid. 

Bruce, for all his many faults, sorted out that side of the club 

Houllier could see what needed doing, just a shame he never got to implement it

• Like 1

Â