Media and punditry

BOF

He's been suspended but at somewhere like the sun that article must have been read by 2-5 people before going to print, absolutely ridiculous article that there's absolutely no need for, it's a completely personal attack based on nothing 

Mackenzie is the kind of person you could happily see strung by the neck from a lampost by manner of piano wire.

It's no surprise the Sun remains happy to print his bile and associate with him.

5 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

People are calling this racist as apparently Barkley has African heritage. 

Not sure it was intended that way myself 

I didn't know he had African heritage and  I doubt whether MacKenzie did either. having said that it was out of order what he wrote.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

However, 23-year-old Mr Barkley will have learned a painful lesson. He is too rich and too famous to be spending his time in local hangouts where most of the customers have only just broken through the £7.50-an-hour barrier.'

Everything else aside, this shows he hasn't done any research (surprise surprise). It's a nice bar where it happened which rarely has any trouble at all, not the kind of backstreet boozer he is insinuating. I do realise that this isn't the most scandalous thing about the article btw!

I agree with the above, very difficult to tell that Barkley is in fact 'mixed race', so I don't think there were any racist intention behind the piece, but it was nevertheless an utterly disgrace piece of 'journalism'. The man is an absolute scumbag of the highest order.

Regardless of the racial connotations I cannot fathom what the point and necessity of the piece was.

a pointless diatribe that was more akin with a football forum  post than a 'national newspaper' article. 

15 minutes ago, colhint said:

I dunno maybe if your'e a journalist you could just google him first before you go to print. Just to check your bosses don't get into a libel case. Just a thought.

'Research' and 'Kelvin Mackenzie' do not belong in the same sentence I'm afraid. 

• Like 2

I'd never buy the Scum and think pretty poorly of anyone who buys it...But am I the only person that thinks the police investigating whether this Barkley outrage constitutes a race hate crime is a ludicrous waste of police time?

Edit: I should probably read earlier posts before chiming in on well-trodden ground :P 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

I'm not sure how the Sun let the Kelvin Mackenzie article be published, he managed to insult almost everybody with that drivel. I think more clubs should join the Merseyside clubs in boycotting the Sun.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, a m ole said:

"The Sun would like to take this opportunity to apologise personally to Ross Barkley."

In a printed retraction :crylaugh:

Not only is it not "personally", it's not an apology. I'd "like to take the opportunity" to win the lottery. The sun is also lying when they say they didn't know his heritage. They've previously published an article covering his eligibility to play for Nigeria because of it.

• Like 2

This works against the adage that there's no such thing as bad publicity and from a man several years ago who in his column alikened himself (looks wise) to Paul Newman. :blink:

Â