Media and punditry

BOF

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Lots of Chris Sutton hate here, must admit, I've never heard his commentary/ punditry, I feel like I'm missing out. 

Just turn on Radio 5 basically any time there's football on or they're talking about football, you're guaranteed to hear him then. 

Neil Ashton's column in The Sun was quite scathing about Shkodran Mustafi today! The headline calls him 'a joke', amongst many other players, and the text says:

'How Shkodran Mustafi gets a game at this level, at this intensity, is beyond comprehension.

There is not a soul on earth who could make a case for this fella being a top-four defender. Nowhere near. He should have been sent off in the opening 20 minutes, with one booking for chopping Benteke and another for clattering into the flying Townsend.

Instead, referee Michael Oliver went soft and overlooked his first, naughty little challenge on Big Ben.

This game was not for him.'

Critical stuff! So what did The Sun give Mustafi, for his performance?

7/10 :crylaugh:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3304550/arsenal-were-a-disgrace-mesut-ozil-joke-alexis-sanchez-joke-shkodran-mustafi-joke-gabriel-joke-the-rest-a-joke/ (don't click the link)

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Lots of Chris Sutton hate here, must admit, I've never heard his commentary/ punditry, I feel like I'm missing out. 

he shouts over people to get his point across and tries his best to be controversial. He almost makes you feel sorry for Robbie Savage how he bullies him every time

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Merse thinks Granada is who makes Corrie.

Merse thinks it was a Granada that Tony was driving drunk when he smashed into that wall. 

(It was a Sierra)

• Like 1

On 4/11/2017 at 00:33, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think there's any massive surprises in this F365 article about Sky, though the identity of the mystery quote source is interesting to speculate:

'Soccer Saturday is primarily an entertainment show and, if you want in-depth serious analysis, it really isn’t the place to go. As I was researching this piece, someone who has good reason to know a lot about football broadcasting on Sky, got in touch to offer this view.

“The people behind Soccer Saturday deliberately employ some pundits who they know are less than intelligent. They see it as reflecting part of the audience back to themselves. The uneducated, intellectually undernourished punter loves Merse because he talks like them and he’s endearingly funny. They love that he can’t say foreign names, because they can’t either. And they don’t know anything about European football either. He also holds views based on assumptions rather than fact, which is what a lot of viewers do. They don’t see a stupid bloke with a limited vocabulary, they see a fun bloke who got rich playing great football and who is still like them. That’s why he’s on. If you put really clever people on Soccer Saturday, a lot would turn off. Basically, a lot of the audience wants simple ideas presented by simple people who have won trophies, and that’s what they get. And that’s why it’s been so successful for so long.”'

http://www.football365.com/news/state-of-the-nation-on-tv-sky-sports

Whether that quote is genuine or not, I guarantee that is how they employ some pundits.

Maybe not as explicitly as "he's stupid so employ him". But definitely because someone like Merson, or an ex player that is recognisable, will be far more appealing to Joe Average than someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Whether that quote is genuine or not, I guarantee that is how they employ some pundits.

Maybe not as explicitly as "he's stupid so employ him". But definitely because someone like Merson, or an ex player that is recognisable, will be far more appealing to Joe Average than someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

That, plus they've got to fill 6 hours each Saturday with chat.  Literally, just chat.  I like having insightful views, but a serious football program that was 6 hours long every single week would be a bit dull.  The entertainment side is completely valid.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

That, plus they've got to fill 6 hours each Saturday with chat.  Literally, just chat.  I like having insightful views, but a serious football program that was 6 hours long every single week would be a bit dull.  The entertainment side is completely valid.

To be honest, this just gets to another problem, which is that there is just way too much football punditry around. 

• Like 2

My most favourite bit of recent punditry was Ian Wright on motd.

One of the Hull players was being interviewed after their match and said (in some way) "the managers got us all to understand our roles perfectly and put in the hard work on the training pitch, which has really helped us and not something i've ever worked under before".

After a small bit of chat from Linekar, Wright says "what I've been told from the people up at Hull is that the manager has got them all working on their specific roles on the training pitch and it's really helping them"

• Like 1

Kelvin McKenzie has had some deep thoughts on Ross Barkley and the city of Liverpool he so famously loves that he felt he needed to share in The Sun:

'PERHAPS unfairly, I have always judged Ross Barkley as one of our dimmest footballers. There is something about the lack of reflection in his eyes which makes me certain not only are the lights not on, there is definitely nobody at home.

I get a similar feeling when seeing a gorilla at the zoo. The physique is magnificent but it’s the eyes that tell the story.

So it came as no surprise to me that the Everton star copped a nasty right-hander in a nightclub for allegedly eyeing up an attractive young lady who, as they say, was “spoken for”.

The reality is that at £60,000 a week and being both thick and single, he is an attractive catch in the Liverpool area, where the only men with similar pay packets are drug dealers and therefore not at nightclubs, as they are often guests of Her Majesty.

However, 23-year-old Mr Barkley will have learned a painful lesson. He is too rich and too famous to be spending his time in local hangouts where most of the customers have only just broken through the £7.50-an-hour barrier.'

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3329570/why-should-randy-mandy-get-900m-from-hard-work-of-her-ex-hubby-randy/ (don't click the link)

37 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Kelvin McKenzie has had some deep thoughts on Ross Barkley and the city of Liverpool he so famously loves that he felt he needed to share in The Sun:

'PERHAPS unfairly, I have always judged Ross Barkley as one of our dimmest footballers. There is something about the lack of reflection in his eyes which makes me certain not only are the lights not on, there is definitely nobody at home.

I get a similar feeling when seeing a gorilla at the zoo. The physique is magnificent but it’s the eyes that tell the story.

So it came as no surprise to me that the Everton star copped a nasty right-hander in a nightclub for allegedly eyeing up an attractive young lady who, as they say, was “spoken for”.

The reality is that at £60,000 a week and being both thick and single, he is an attractive catch in the Liverpool area, where the only men with similar pay packets are drug dealers and therefore not at nightclubs, as they are often guests of Her Majesty.

However, 23-year-old Mr Barkley will have learned a painful lesson. He is too rich and too famous to be spending his time in local hangouts where most of the customers have only just broken through the £7.50-an-hour barrier.'

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3329570/why-should-randy-mandy-get-900m-from-hard-work-of-her-ex-hubby-randy/ (don't click the link)

People are calling this racist as apparently Barkley has African heritage. 

Not sure it was intended that way myself 

25 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Did you not see the accompanying gorilla picture and 'missing link' caption? It was disgraceful.

Besides, writing an entire article about how you think somebody is stupid is pathetic enough as it is.

29 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I didn't read it that way either. A rubbish article written by a dick, but not racist IMO.

I'm not sure many people even know Barkley has African heritage. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Did you not see the accompanying gorilla picture and 'missing link' caption? It was disgraceful.

Besides, writing an entire article about how you think somebody is stupid is pathetic enough as it is.

No I haven't  read it, just saw an article saying a complaint had been raised.

From what I have seen, yes I agree it's a pathetic article, I just don't think it's meant as a racist slur

Â