Media and punditry

BOF

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

But Ranocchia is not some obscure nobody. As far as I'm aware, he's started every game since he moved to Hull, which was over two months ago now. 

..and was the former captain of Inter and has numerous caps for Italy.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

In fairness, they only need to comment on British football but at absolutely every level.  It's better for them to know players in League One/League Two/Scottish Premiership and how they're performing than European/International players.

They don't know lower leagues either! If i'm paid thousands every week to watch football I would do my research. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

In fairness, they only need to comment on British football but at absolutely every level.  It's better for them to know players in League One/League Two/Scottish Premiership and how they're performing than European/International players.

They're being paid to talk about football, imo they need to know British football inside out and have a generally good knowledge of European football plus then some of the bigger names in SA, they simply don't, using ranocchia again they could have seen him on  BT playing for inter, they could have watched him at the U21s in 09 (when England lost in the final to Germany, Germany beat Italy in the semi) he's got 20 caps for Italy, he was named in the serie a team of the year, he was linked with Sunderland I think last year, been at hull 2 months playing 8 times

To me it just demonstrates that their opinion on him and hull is irrelevant because they obviously aren't watching them

it also means that when they start spouting stuff like Ali being "world class" I seriously seriously doubt those 4 in the studio could name 5 European midfielders of a similar age so I don't see how they are in any kind of position to make a comparison, judgement or such a claim, it's a big problem in English football, loads of players being told they're better than they are and loads of fans believing it

• Like 3

I dont even think you have to watch games as a pundit to know who a player is. If Villa get linked with a player like Salifou and I am sure we could find information on the player within an hour or two

its basic laziness from "journalists"

• Like 2

We Need To Talk About Merson

I happened upon the Mirror yesterday, which had an interview with noted football punditry expert Paul Merson in it. He seems very exercised about goal celebrations:

“Look at Sunday – Theo Walcott scored to make it 1-1 and you would have thought it was the pre-season Emirates Cup in July. If they all cared, they would have run over to the manager and jumped all over him in a show of togetherness.

It looks like there is a split. For the second goal, Sanchez called everyone over — but not everyone joined in.

Look at Man United in their prime. Every goal they scored, they jumped on each other and Rio Ferdinand, who had run the length of the pitch, was on top of them all.

Before the game, the ­players should have got ­together and said, ‘Our boss is in trouble here and he has backed us’, or even worn a ­T-shirt. But how many of them have come out and said they are right behind him?”

That's online - in print that made up about 6 paragraphs. Just to illustrate the point, they added two photos, one of Arsenal players after Walcott's goal, frozen in time, looking happy enough but not jumping around, and one of Merson celebrating a goal at some point in the 1990's. See how much more Merson cares!

But that's not all!

“I don’t think Arsenal will finish above Tottenham for the next five years."

Bold prediction! Never mind, he has a plan:

'Merson believes the only way Wenger can ride out the crisis would be for Arsenal to groom one of his Invincibles stars as his successor:

“If Wenger stays, the only way it can work is that he would have to bring Thierry Henry or Patrick Vieira to work under him for one or two years, with the absolute assurance that they would take over when those two years are up.

“That’s the only way he can get away with it.”

Yeah, that's not how anything works Paul. He gets paid for this. But not to know who Ranocchia is, obviously, that's a bridge too far. 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/sickened-arsenal-legend-expects-finish-10152599 (don't click the link)

• Like 1

I loved Saunders as a player, but what a **** gobshite.

I'm not sure if there's a single ex-Villa pundit I can stand listening to. Merson is a certifiable moron, Platt's a nob, and Collymore is a reactionary idiot who says outrageous things for money, on schedule, when he needs to boost listener numbers. 

I quite enjoyed listening to Dion when he used to get the odd pundit gig, but I've not heard him in years.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm not sure if there's a single ex-Villa pundit I can stand listening to. Merson is a certifiable moron, Platt's a nob, and Collymore is a reactionary idiot who says outrageous things for money, on schedule, when he needs to boost listener numbers. 

I quite enjoyed listening to Dion when he used to get the odd pundit gig, but I've not heard him in years.

Chris Sutton is the biggest rocket polisher on TV

Alan McNally is good though maybe because he actually likes us :) 

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Dion's still around, he did the cup final and was actually on final score today.

Is he still on that house show....would imagine filming that limits his football commitments now.

One of my favourites atm is Matt Holland. Intelligent guy and talks a decent amount of sense on football issues.

Also one of the few ex pros actually capable of hosting a show competently as he does every Friday night on Talksport. Surprised a TV channel hasn't picked him up unless he does stuff for RTE?

Edited by VillaChris

I don't think there's any massive surprises in this F365 article about Sky, though the identity of the mystery quote source is interesting to speculate:

'Soccer Saturday is primarily an entertainment show and, if you want in-depth serious analysis, it really isn’t the place to go. As I was researching this piece, someone who has good reason to know a lot about football broadcasting on Sky, got in touch to offer this view.

“The people behind Soccer Saturday deliberately employ some pundits who they know are less than intelligent. They see it as reflecting part of the audience back to themselves. The uneducated, intellectually undernourished punter loves Merse because he talks like them and he’s endearingly funny. They love that he can’t say foreign names, because they can’t either. And they don’t know anything about European football either. He also holds views based on assumptions rather than fact, which is what a lot of viewers do. They don’t see a stupid bloke with a limited vocabulary, they see a fun bloke who got rich playing great football and who is still like them. That’s why he’s on. If you put really clever people on Soccer Saturday, a lot would turn off. Basically, a lot of the audience wants simple ideas presented by simple people who have won trophies, and that’s what they get. And that’s why it’s been so successful for so long.”'

http://www.football365.com/news/state-of-the-nation-on-tv-sky-sports

Â