Media and punditry

BOF

On 1/11/2017 at 20:18, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

This is irksome really. It's smug, condescending bullshit from a website that regularly churns out its own absolute nonsense. Criticising Merson for his ill informed views is like someone who considers themselves a serious art critic, taking a painting by a six year old and saying "Look! Just look at those horrid brush strokes and vulgar colour combinations". Merson is an idiot. That's why he's there - they employ characters (who happen to be ex footballers), but who are most definitely not expert pundits.

The programme exists purely for entertainment (although I also very much agree with the propaganda point). The chemistry and the personality of the five is important; otherwise watching a bunch of blokes report on games, which you can't even see, would be bloody boring.

They're just similar to an average bunch of supporters chatting shite about football down the pub. I bet everyone, if they were honest, has tried to opine on a player/club/league/manager that they know next to nothing about. Arguably he should know an awful lot for the money he gets paid, but he's there to be the village idiot with OTT ridiculous views. 

And as for the xenophobic thing - the article can't seem to make up its mind whether they are or aren't. It's all a bit weak because Merson and Co have extolled the virtues of foreign managers in the past and not, as suggested, just those foreigners in the "top five" (Examples I can remember seeing being Karanka, Martinez, Rosler and Wagner).

That's not to say it wasn't a silly attitude from Merson - he went down the very easy route of defaulting to a "young British manager" because he doesn't really know anything about a manager who's been working in a country whose football he has no knowledge about. But like I said: he's an idiot employed to act and sound like one. It's not a serious football show with serious, well informed pundits, and neither should it be treated like one.

I know it was months ago but I've only just caught up on the thread and wanted to pick up on this. 

That is an entirely unfair assertion. I don't know what blokes you talk football with down the pub, but the vast majority of football fans that I talk to don't come out with the utter crap that the likes of Merson et al do. You can be likable, have chemistry AND not be a complete clearing in the woods with it. There is a line they cross between entertainment and unwatchable, they crossed that a long time ago for me and the blatant xenophobia is merely the icing on the cake. 

It doesn't need to be a 'serious football show' but I would expect them to do the most basic amount of research before they take to the mic. Listen to The Football Ramble or Guardian Football Weekly for examples. Reasonably well informed but not up their own arseholes with it, plenty of laughs, that's proper entertainment.

Soccer Saturday is football for idiots and I want no part of it. 

• Like 2

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 21:50, Dr_Pangloss said:

The thing is, when it comes to TV advertisers typically pay for reach, and with BT you really won't get particularly high reach, so they won't be making massive ad revenue, similar argument can be made for sponsors as well, so clearly subscriptions have to go up. 

This really is just a loss leader for them, they are hoping it will halo onto their core products. It really just emphasises the death of sport as a spectacle in this country. Football, cricket, boxing etc are all on subscription TV and in some cases pay per view on top of subscriptions. The answer of course is to show these companies that it is not on, not pay for them, and stream them for free.

it's really poor the crown jewels sports are slowly being disbanded.

I'm a Cricket fan purely due to watching the England tests on Channel 4 in the summers. I'm sure the Ashes in 2005 produced a whole new generation of Cricket fans so sad that is no longer an option and it's going the same way for Golf with the Open not on the BBC anymore and I'm sure in next 10 years Wimbledon will disappear from free to air view.

I used to have Sky and enjoyed it but for 40 + quid nowadays it's simply not viable and for any game I wish to watch (which is a decreasing number nowadays) I can find a stream from somewhere.

And pretty much every non-domestic game is streamed on the betting sites so again an easy way to watch plenty of football.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

What's all this about Chris Sutton being a total moran on Talksport during the drivetime show?! :lol:

because its Chris Sutton. he doesnt even have to say anything to know he is a moron

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone watching Paul Ince with his dinosaur analysis on ITV?

Criticising Video technology because it takes the "passion" out of the game as fans can't celebrate goals properly.

Yes Paul but they got the decision right.....what a mug.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Criticising Video technology because it takes the "passion" out of the game as fans can't celebrate goals properly.

I had to turn it off half way through. It was making me feel embarrassed. 

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

5 clubs gave that man a managerial job. FIVE.

Ended up watching soccer Saturday, ranocchia scores for hull, Geoff is talking but you can hear the other 4 in the background saying "who's he?" "Never heard of him" "yeah not sure where but they've got him on loan"

they blatantly don't actually watch that much football

• Like 1

On 4/1/2017 at 16:47, villa4europe said:

Ended up watching soccer Saturday, ranocchia scores for hull, Geoff is talking but you can hear the other 4 in the background saying "who's he?" "Never heard of him" "yeah not sure where but they've got him on loan"

they blatantly don't actually watch that much football

Shambolic! They're paid a lot of money to watch football... least they can do is actually learn who the players are. Utter cockwombles. 

• Like 1

Sure I always remember Newcastle fan and legend Alan Shearer not knowing who Ben Arfa was when he was a French international, multi league winner and played a number of Champions League games

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Shambolic! They're paid a lot of money to watch football... least they can do is actually learn who the players are. Utter cockwombles. 

Are they still anti Marco Silva or is there grudging respect for the job he's doing there now?

Even if Hull go down (and they've a great chance to stay up now) you have to admire how he's lifted a no hope team especially after they sold Snodgrass which I thought would be a death knell for them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Are they still anti Marco Silva or is there grudging respect for the job he's doing there now?

Even if Hull go down (and they've a great chance to stay up now) you have to admire how he's lifted a no hope team especially after they sold Snodgrass which I thought would be a death knell for them.

Snodgrass himself hasnt pulled up any trees since he went to West Ham

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Silva is doing an incredible job there. I wish would would have swooped for him instead of that waste of space that is Remi Garde.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Xela said:

In fairness, they only need to comment on British football but at absolutely every level.  It's better for them to know players in League One/League Two/Scottish Premiership and how they're performing than European/International players.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

In fairness, they only need to comment on British football but at absolutely every level.  It's better for them to know players in League One/League Two/Scottish Premiership and how they're performing than European/International players.

But Ranocchia is not some obscure nobody. As far as I'm aware, he's started every game since he moved to Hull, which was over two months ago now. 

• Like 2

Â