Ashley Westwood

Nabby

19 hours ago, Mantis said:

You could do a PhD thesis on Villa fans and Westwood. As I said before, I didn't rate him that highly but some of the stick he got was just way out of proportion. It's almost as if some fans channeled all the rage of the last few years and focused it squarely on him for some reason.

You could do a PhD thesis on football fans having different opinions? It would be pretty shit I'd imagine. 

It's this kind of arrogance in this thread that has led to so many over the top arguments. Reminds me very much of the 'you don't get football' crap that used to be spouted. 

At the end of the day some fans hated him and some didn't. I bet you and others have felt a certain way about players, managers or owners and others have felt differently. 

Really no big deal or massive shock. Happens all the time at all clubs. 

54 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You could do a PhD thesis on football fans having different opinions? It would be pretty shit I'd imagine. 

It's this kind of arrogance in this thread that has led to so many over the top arguments. Reminds me very much of the 'you don't get football' crap that used to be spouted. 

Better now? 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

At the end of the day some fans hated him and some didn't. I bet you and others have felt a certain way about players, managers or owners and others have felt differently. 

Really no big deal or massive shock. Happens all the time at all clubs. 

I think you should re-read what I actually said.

• 4 weeks later...

Just popped into this thread for the first time in over a month because I'm on a boring night shift (we literally have nothing to do until 4am) and I'm reading virtually every thread. So I'm not obsessed in the slightest. But the last few pages in here are the funniest things I've read in so so long. spitgate is the best vt thing ever for me. I'm in absolute hysterics at what's going on in here. Obviously I'll just be obsessed with Westwood but an unreal bit of reading!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Just popped into this thread for the first time in over a month because I'm on a boring night shift (we literally have nothing to do until 4am) and I'm reading virtually every thread. So I'm not obsessed in the slightest. But the last few pages in here are the funniest things I've read in so so long. spitgate is the best vt thing ever for me. I'm in absolute hysterics at what's going on in here. Obviously I'll just be obsessed with Westwood but an unreal bit of reading!

Fo' real.  I'm so glad I got directed to the spitting thing - absolutely amazing.  This is surely Hall Of Fame stuff?

• 1 month later...

@TRO

Burnley fans on Ashley Westwood:

"Brilliant. Rarely loses the ball".

"Great performance, looked really solid, passed well, their midfield numeric advantage was totally nullified first half".

"I was very nervous about him today, but he was outstanding".

"Fantastic performance today. More forward thinking than Villa fans gave him credit for".

"Westwood 8 - A key performer in midfield".

"9* MoM - Looked like Michael Carrick was playing for us".

"Absolutely outstanding today".

"Great today again".

"Wonderful wonderful performance the pass to ward in the build up to the first goal how did he know he was there! Insane".

"What do we want a ball winning, scrapping, sideways passer for?
Outstanding display...Carrick-like".

"Westwood (was a) big part of the brilliant team performance yesterday + made all the difference". 

"Another astute signing who will surely improve even more as he settles into things.
Great capture. Well done, all concerned".

"What we've seen of him so far you wonder what a lot of the Villa fans were smoking.
Mind you that's a club that sold Gary Cahill to Bolton". 

"Can we have some more villa players like Lowton and Westwood?".  

"Really impressive. Moved the ball crisply and decisively, found clever angles and made the cute look very simple at times, whilst also playing the easy ball when needed. Also very tidy and organised defensively and could be seen doing plenty of talking and organising".

"Looked exactly like what I always thought he'd be and tbh, hoped he would be".

"Thought he was brilliant. Moved the ball with the speed and conviction we've occasionally lacked recently, and i thought he got around the park a bit more dynamically than Barton out of possession too, which freed Hendrick up to roam a bit more. Underrated customer i think. He could also be seen organising on occasions, which is perhaps no surprise from someone who captained Crewe as a teenager".

Edited by Michael118
  • Like 2

Has he played much at Burnley, I suppose he's benefited from Barton's betting as him and Hendrick were first choice when he signed.

From what I've seen Lowton's had a decent season. Always thought he could be an o.k FB at this level if he played in a more defensive minded team.

2 hours ago, Michael118 said:

@TRO

Burnley fans on Ashley Westwood:

"Brilliant. Rarely loses the ball".

"Great performance, looked really solid, passed well, their midfield numeric advantage was totally nullified first half".

"I was very nervous about him today, but he was outstanding".

"Fantastic performance today. More forward thinking than Villa fans gave him credit for".

"Westwood 8 - A key performer in midfield".

"9* MoM - Looked like Michael Carrick was playing for us".

"Absolutely outstanding today".

"Great today again".

"Wonderful wonderful performance the pass to ward in the build up to the first goal how did he know he was there! Insane".

"What do we want a ball winning, scrapping, sideways passer for?
Outstanding display...Carrick-like".

"Westwood (was a) big part of the brilliant team performance yesterday + made all the difference". 

"Another astute signing who will surely improve even more as he settles into things.
Great capture. Well done, all concerned".

"What we've seen of him so far you wonder what a lot of the Villa fans were smoking.
Mind you that's a club that sold Gary Cahill to Bolton". 

"Can we have some more villa players like Lowton and Westwood?".  

"Really impressive. Moved the ball crisply and decisively, found clever angles and made the cute look very simple at times, whilst also playing the easy ball when needed. Also very tidy and organised defensively and could be seen doing plenty of talking and organising".

"Looked exactly like what I always thought he'd be and tbh, hoped he would be".

"Thought he was brilliant. Moved the ball with the speed and conviction we've occasionally lacked recently, and i thought he got around the park a bit more dynamically than Barton out of possession too, which freed Hendrick up to roam a bit more. Underrated customer i think. He could also be seen organising on occasions, which is perhaps no surprise from someone who captained Crewe as a teenager".

You would think they will finish in the top half of the table reading that......they have flirted with relegation for a reason.

i don't think the villa fans that didn't rate either of them were wrong.

one swallow..........

"Brilliant, rarely loses the ball" all the various managers fault was it?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TRO said:

You would think they will finish in the top half of the table reading that......they have flirted with relegation for a reason.

...and that reason is Ashley Westwood!

"Brilliant, rarely loses the ball" all the various managers fault was it?

A manager is responsible for the mentality and morale of the group. Players like Westwood, Clark, Gueye looked a shadow of their current selves when they played for us. Westwood and Clark in particular were shaky, nervous, mistake-ridden. They move to another club and in the space of a few games that changes. It was obvious to me they were good players when they were here underneath their confidence issues. We haven't had a manager since O'Neil who has much of an influence in that area and it's no coincidence to me that was the last time we had any success.

• 3 months later...

Some recent comments from Burnley fans on Ashley Westwood...

"Westwood is solid, like him..."

"I like Westwood. Keeps things simple and has a peach of a pass on him".

"I was really pleased with the signing of Ashley Westwood last season. I likened him to a poor man's Michael Carrick. His range of passing is excellent, his recovery of the ball is assured and his ability to simply keep the ball is great". 

"Westwood is excellent imo".

"Another Westwood fan here as well a very good signing for not a lot of money".

"Worth saying I thought Westwood was a shocking signing and he has been great so far".

"Cracking player is Westy and is going to be very important for us this season. He breezed against Rovers on Wednesday, too much class for that lot and was great coming on yesterday and compliments Cork extremely well".

"Really like Westwood. Does the simple things well, links play, goes under the radar". 

"Westwood is a very, very good signing in my view but won't get many headlines because he does a lot of stuff that most journalists and supporters can't appreciate".

"Westwood - 9 He was all over them like a rash".

"Love how the Villa fans thought they stole money from us for Lowton and Westwood".

"Westwood was diligent and assured".

"Surprised this hasn't been mentioned (or if it has I haven't seen it) but for me the game changing decision was to introduce Westwood for Defour. It was timed to perfection at a time where Spurs were gaining the upper hand and his timely introduction allowed us to press and win the ball back in midfield and get us on the front foot". 

"Westwood is an excellent player but a midfield of him, Cork and Defour lacks athleticism".

"Turned the game back our way when he came on".

"(Barnes') introduction at Wembley on Sunday along with Westwood and Wood was key to us getting a point."

"I think Arfield did well at Spurs but I thought Westwood was very effective when he came on too. I'd be tempted to play him with Cork and push Defour further up the pitch".

"If Hendrick doesn't make it then Westwood in (I think he has been quite superb for us)..."

Edited by Michael118

3 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Maybe it's not them, but us??

I've been saying all along the squad we had in 14/15 going into the season we were relegated was a lot better than people think.

With a quality manager in charge it wouldn't have been anywhere near relegation.

Edited by Michael118