Ashley Westwood

Nabby

6 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Wow, that's fair.

Let's pluck out a list of some of our best midfielders spanning something like 30 years then use that as grounds to boo him,  because he isn't as good as Sid Cowans was.

Maybe we should start booing Kodija because he's not as good as Dean Saunders was in 1992/93, or how about we boo every single centre back we'll ever have again because they're not as good as McGrath?

Pathetic.

I said we shouldn't boo any player. And don't.

Like I was accused of,  read the post.

1 minute ago, richp999 said:

A shit comparision list?  I thought they were top players.

I was making the point that over the past 5 or 6 years our expectations have been lowered so much that people obviously think this level of player is ok for Aston villa.

You and others obviously love Westwood, so ill leave it at that.

Its interesting how many premier league and come to think of it championship clubs were chasing his signature when we got relegated isn't it?

Its OK to think a player isn't good enough.

Can you honestly say you would have Westwood first on the team sheet in our midfield for the next 4 years?

Or would you rather we sign a couple of new midfielders in the next window? If not that's fair enough, it's your opinion...

I think you're missing the point, the reason this thread keeps being bumped up to the top of the list is not because certain posters "love westwood" but rather they find it embarrassing that so-called fans think it's okay to boo him when he makes an appearance and then to try and justify it on here.

And yes, it is/was a shit comparison list, put up a list of every central midfielder that's appeared for Villa in the past 30 years and I bet he's not even in the bottom 20.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think you're missing the point, the reason this thread keeps being bumped up to the top of the list is not because certain posters "love westwood" but rather they find it embarrassing that so-called fans think it's okay to boo him when he makes an appearance and then to try and justify it on here.

And yes, it is/was a shit comparison list, put up a list of every central midfielder that's appeared for Villa in the past 30 years and I bet he's not even in the bottom 20.

Thankyou

• Like 1

For the record

I don't love Westwood

I do hope we sign at least one midfielder in January and I hope Westwood continues to compete for a spot. 

If he isnt good enough then that's fine by me.

I DO FIND BOOING A PLAYER IN A VILLA SHIRT WHILE WE ARE TRYING TO WIN A FOOTBALL MATCH IN HOPE WE GET PROMOTED BACK TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY STUPID, COUNTER PRODUCTIVE AND EMBARASSING.

I hope this clears up any confusion that I might be defending Ashley Westwood because I love him.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Ok Fair enough,  but just one last question..

Where would you rate Westwood on this list?

And how far down it do you need to be before you think a player isn't good enough to play for us ?

For me this is or has been the whole problem with our club..  You are looking at all of our worst players and saying 'well its ok,  he isn't as bad as they were.'

I'd rather look at our best players and say 'he isn't quite good enough,  let's try and get someone better.'

I want the team to improve and have higher standards, not just be content with where they are.

3 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

For the record

I don't love Westwood

I do hope we sign at least one midfielder in January and I hope Westwood continues to compete for a spot. 

I DO FIND BOOING A PLAYER IN A VILLA SHIRT WHILE WE ARE TRYING TO WIN A FOOTBALL MATCH IN HOPE WE GET PROMOTED BACK TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY STUPID, COUNTER PRODUCTIVE AND EMBARASSING.

I hope this clears up any confusion that I might be defending Ashley Westwood because I love him.

LOL..

Good post, but also for the record I haven't ever booed any player at villa park either, and don't understand those that do.

23 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I don't condone actions of stupidity granted.. but he is not cut out for this this league or this club. Shame.. but that's football.

They're two completely separate points. Maybe you're not, but some people seem to be struggling with that. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, richp999 said:

What's that got to do with him not doing anything wrong in a 15 minute performance where he helped in closing out the game?

You've somehow managed to escalate 'he did nothing wrong in a 15 minute performance' to 'how does Westwood compare to some of our best midfielders of the last 30 years?'

It's absolute madness.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, richp999 said:

And how far down it do you need to be before you think a player isn't good enough to play for us ?

For me this is or has been the whole problem with our club..  You are looking at all of our worst players and saying 'well its ok,  he isn't as bad as they were.'

I'd rather look at our best players and say 'he isn't quite good enough,  let's try and get someone better.'

I want the team to improve and have higher standards, not just be content with where they are.

You cannot seriously be comparing our current side to some of the best players to have pulled on the shirt. We're in the championship.

We need a squad.

We are short on midfielders.

he needs to stay and fulfill a role for us in our current position. we're not going to sign a player as good as Platt or Taylor in January without a lot of luck and if we do, we'll still need back up. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, skarroki said:

You cannot seriously be comparing our current side to some of the best players to have pulled on the shirt. We're in the championship.

We need a squad.

We are short on midfielders.

he needs to stay and fulfill a role for us in our current position. we're not going to sign a player as good as Platt or Taylor in January without a lot of luck and if we do, we'll still need back up. 

Agree with this and as for signing someone a la Tayls or Platt, that is what we sort of tried with Westwood, signing a player from a lower league in the hope they would come good. He hasn't but as others have said (over and over at time) it ISN't for the want of trying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richp999 said:

Do you mean on a list of all centre mids over the past 30 years? 

Impossible to say without spending copious amounts of time putting together the list and then reviewing it but I'd wager a bet he comes in around the mid point which I think is where most of us see him, middle of the road.

He's contributed far more than many but far less than some (those being the likes of which you mentioned earlier).

I think we'd all like someone better but then you could say that of almost every player/position at the club for the past 5+ years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

For the record

I don't love Westwood

Villan and Westwood sitting in a tree.... ;)

• Like 1

The thing that annoyed me must about this is the justification that "we're not booing Westwood, we're booing the decision". How is that any different? "They're not booing me because they think I'm shit, they're booing the manager's decision to play me because they think I'm shit. That's much better."

Edited by Villanun
  • Like 4

As has been mentioned, I think the best thing that can be done, is when people start booing, a large section make it a point to applaud and drown them out.

As @bannedfromHandV pointed out this has nothing to do with "certain fans loviing him", far from it as a matter of fact.

It's just about common sense and decency.

• Like 1