Ashley Westwood

Nabby

45 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

At times his pressing was excellent

i think along with the criticism of gabby fans can't or won't look past their dislike of him and watch what he's doing, Brighton were nothing special and I think westwoods work rate was part of that, still pretty poor on the ball but Bruce obviously put him in there with a plan and Westwood stuck to it

I thought he worked harder than anyone else. can't be knocked when it comes to pressing and working for the team 

He's just average on the ball and a joke at tackling or heading. 

Would imagine Bacuna or grealish replace him next game. 

Edited by DCJonah

I still seen him "light" again tonight....runs around a lot,but...in a challenge with Glen Murray he was was just floundering and bouncing off him....It happens much too regular in a game.

He is dismissed off the ball by an opponent very easily.

I see him as a weak link.

If we continue to improve our squad, he will just disappear.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I thought he worked harder than anyone else. can't be knocked when it comes to pressing and working for the team 

He's just average on the ball and a joke at tackling or heading. 

Would imagine Bacuna or grealish replace him next game. 

See I got no issue with that, home game vs a poor team we set ourselves up to dominate the game and have no need for his role from tonight (or gabbys role) 

gives me a lot of confidence is Bruce 

• Like 1

Once again i'm baffled at how differently people see the same game. I really have to wonder if we have different brains or if some people are just tight arses. lol

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Good.

Much, much improved. Settled well under Bruce.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Worked hard to his credit but he's not good. Rarely won a tackle, weak on the ball and average passing. 

He should not be a regular player. 

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Was everywhere tonight. Not everything he did came off, but he worked his socks off and along with Adomah was at the heart of everything positive we did.

1 hour ago, commander said:

Played like a lost little girl (again). Not good enough, too weak. His yellow card summed him up

35 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Played well, some passing was wonderful - giving Adomah time and space with those balls. 

25 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Never seen him press like he did tonight, he didn't stop for the whole game. Solid performance 

For what it's worth I thought he was ok, and to be honest I hardly ever notice him in a match unless he has made a mistake, or a baffling decision. Which is very rare!

2 hours ago, commander said:

Played like a lost little girl (again). Not good enough, too weak. His yellow card summed him up

I don't really see how his yellow card summed him up, perhaps you could explain? He lost the ball and made sure they didn't get the chance to break on us.

He played better today. I still don't think he's good enough as hes inconsistent.. he had one really nice ball out to Adomah. I was like wow was that from Westwood. With his fitness he should always be pressing like that in midfield... Especially since he can't tackle. I don't think he or Gardener are good enough to be in our starting side to get us promoted.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, commander said:

Im also interested on hearing more on this yellow card nonsense. for what its worth myself and 5 other people looked at each other and thought what was that for? one of the worst yellow cards ive seen given. The replay made it look worse. 

He played some absolutely gorgeous balls during the match. I struggle to see why people say he is poor with the ball. 

For me his biggest problem is off the ball, has no strength, cant win a ball, cant tackle and has no confidence.

• Like 2

To be honest I thought he had a good game. his shooting though is absolutely shocking. I would put him on tonevs level.

But has anyone noticed that despite Westwood shit qualities he always seems to get himself in dangerous positions to take the shot on? if his finishing was held decent I think he would score tonnes of goals as he always seems to be in the right place

4 hours ago, KSV said:

He played better today. I still don't think he's good enough as hes inconsistent.. he had one really nice ball out to Adomah. I was like wow was that from Westwood. With his fitness he should always be pressing like that in midfield... Especially since he can't tackle. I don't think he or Gardener are good enough to be in our starting side to get us promoted.

This was exactly my thoughts too. I think the problem with his shooting is he takes that one touch too many before striking. That sort of thing will improve with better instinct, and more especially, confidence. As for his defending, he is just too small. We may as well have a 12 year old boy on the pitch.  An average to large sized player with the ball and momentum would go through him every time, and so he does become a card risk when he throws himself in harder than he should.

On the plus side, he was quite involved today, to the point he made Gardner look  like a ghost. His passing was very good, especially that ball to Adomah. He really made an effort today, and credit where its due, he is not a lazy player. Overall, a good game from him, and I hope it keeps getting better for him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, poitier said:

I don't really see how his yellow card summed him up, perhaps you could explain? He lost the ball and made sure they didn't get the chance to break on us.

Excuse me if my memory has betrayed me but weren't we on a promising counter attack....the ball was fed to Westwood. His touch was shit/he was weak/he lost the ball too easily. As per.

He made 0 tackles. Made 0 interceptions. Had the lowest pass completion of any of our midfield players and touched the ball the same amount as Jordan Ayew, who played 35 minutes. And according to whoscored he was the lowest rated player from both sides. 

He worked hard. That's about it. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

Nice touches, good movement and put them under constant pressure caused paniced hoofs. I thought he was excellent, I had him as MOTM a big part of how we dominated in second half through high press. 

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Excuse me if my memory has betrayed me but weren't we on a promising counter attack....the ball was fed to Westwood. His touch was shit/he was weak/he lost the ball too easily. As per.

Ok, so nothing to do with the yellow then.

Even after bulking up after his first season, he's still a featherweight...he's almost as small as Delph. Almost never wins the second ball, and is muscled out quite easily by almost anybody. One good thing though is that he never stops harrying, so even if he doesn't win it he puts the opposition under significant pressure which may lead to mistakes.

47 minutes ago, Dale said:

Nice touches, good movement and put them under constant pressure caused paniced hoofs. I thought he was excellent, I had him as MOTM a big part of how we dominated in second half through high press. 

MOTM? Good lord. 

26 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Sounds like you typed a message out before the game as a default comment. Added something about a yellow card, which is the 5 minutes of the game you caught, and didn't watch the rest. I agree, he's weak on the ball. But someone who works their bollocks off for the good of avfc and was a part of our best performance of the season and actually done some nice things on the ball doesn't deserve this shit from fans. 

I also note you said nothing else on this site last night apart from the above comment. So you had nothing positive, constructive about anyone or anything to say other than 'im going on villa talk to have a dig at Westwood'  

pathetic.

Yep. The above sums it up. Totally needless and spiteful negativity.