Ashley Westwood

Nabby

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think that's the point he was trying to make.

Before his last season for us, people were very much divided on Delph. That's about 5 years worth of quite a few people thinking he was crap. He was quite awful in that McLeish season for example.

Delph always had potential. Westwood doesn't and after 120 games is now actually getting worse

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Delph always had potential. Westwood doesn't and after 120 games is now actually getting worse

Potential is subjective and impossible to quantify, but if you look back in this thread during his first season here, there was almost unanimous agreement that he had great potential. People who now wish for him to literally break a leg, were projecting that he would be the future captain of this team. That's the thing about potential, it's not always fulfilled. Players can regress due to a whole host of circumstances.

• Like 1

The general consensus is most people don't rate Westwood, but the overwhelming majority don't wish him harm either. Its disappointment over anything else.

12 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I think that's the point he was trying to make.

Before his last season for us, people were very much divided on Delph. That's about 5 years worth of quite a few people thinking he was crap. He was quite awful in that McLeish season for example.

You're right. That is the point I was trying to make. Sometimes it's a case of being in the right team, and with the right mix of players around you.  Westwood looked really neat and tidy when we first brought him, but he's clearly suffering from a lack of confidence.

Some people suggested Delph was the worst player to ever wear a Villa shirt a couple of years ago, but most of us would have him back in a heartbeat now.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

You're right. That is the point I was trying to make. Sometimes it's a case of being in the right team, and with the right mix of players around you.  Westwood looked really neat and tidy when we first brought him, but he's clearly suffering from a lack of confidence.

Some people suggested Delph was the worst player to ever wear a Villa shirt a couple of years ago, but most of us would have him back in a heartbeat now.

Where is he right now? I feel dirty for entertaining the though, but I'd be lying if I said I didn'tt :lol: . But you're right, it goes to show how the right conditions can bring the best out of players and vice versa. Delph went from supposedly one of our worst players ever, to far and away our second best player in the space of almost a season, thanks to Lambert giving him the confidence by continually playing him even when he was awful (and he really was horrible at times). The once very confident Westwood is now apprehensive and second guessing himself which is clearly affecting his game. Steve Bruce seems to be managing him perfectly and is lucky in that we have a shortage of midfielders, so I expect him to pick up form soon .

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

Who are these people that want him to break his legs? I think one guy said that and I agree that it's out of order, but the way it keeps getting brought up its as though it's a widely help opinion amongst us that don't rate him.

I've seen it done against cissokho too. Can't understand the logic myself

41 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

In my opinion, Westwood would do a better job in the man city midfield than Delph. Based on the way man city play

What job would that be, keep them ticking ?

• Like 2

I think the idea that it's mainly a confidence issue is laughable nonsense. Even when confident, he was an average player in a shit premier league team. 

It's lack of ability, both physical and any skills apart from simple passing. 

He's just not good enough and never really has been. 

• Like 2

I don't understand what kick people are getting by simply repeating that Westwood "is shit" in this thread over and over.

Is it a habitual thing just to come here and slag him off?  Can the habit not be kicked?

14 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't understand what kick people are getting by simply repeating that Westwood "is ok" in this thread over and over.

Is it a habitual thing just to come here and defend him?  Can the habit not be kicked?

Sorted

• Like 4