Ashley Westwood

Nabby

He wasn't that bad today as he worked hard and tried to get forward to support Kodjia but it really isn't his role. When he was a half decent player he played as a deep lying playmaker in the mould of Leon Britton and did a reasonable job when paired alongside Delph & KEA, however that is a long time ago now and his lack athleticism was evident today especially when compared to Davis who dominated him in a couple of 50/50s. Tshibola sould have came on around the hour mark.

Frustrating to watch him. He's a player that I want to like because he seems genuine and like he cares but, he just isn't good. There was an occasion yesterday when he had a simple 15-20 yard pass to his right to put McCormack away but, instead, he checked and played it backwards, breaking up the attack with one ridiculous decision. 

• Like 2

I just don't get al the hate for Westwood. He needs to play in a settled and organised midfield. He's not a spectacular player, but he is steady, a team needs both types of player and for me it's the fact that we don't have anyone capable of making something out of nothing that puts pressure on Westwood.

He will be better alongside Jedinak (on Sunday's form) and someone with real creativity (which we don't really have...Grealish maybe ??).

2 minutes ago, dukes said:

I just don't get al the hate for Westwood. He needs to play in a settled and organised midfield. He's not a spectacular player, but he is steady, a team needs both types of player and for me it's the fact that we don't have anyone capable of making something out of nothing that puts pressure on Westwood.

He will be better alongside Jedinak (on Sunday's form) and someone with real creativity (which we don't really have...Grealish maybe ??).

Wouldn't we be better off using players that don't need excuse after excuse for poor performances?

Trying to fit someone as poor as westwood in the team seems daft to me. 

While he's here, he has a role as a squad player but that really should be it till he's sold. 

Have his performances been worse than Gardners ? Or Tshibola's ? Or Jedinak's (excepting Sunday) ?

The fact is we don't currently have other options that are better, otherwise manager after manager wouldn't be picking him. Also, the negativity surrounding him itself creates negativity, I am sure the player is aware of the criticism he is receiving.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Hutton

Cissokho

Bunn

Kozak

Richards

Agbonlahor

All comfortably worse players, and I'm being generous by leaving Bacuna off there.

So you'll admit he's maybe 6th/7th worst player at the club? 

I'd say you're about right, though I'd not have Bacuna in the discussion. I'd probably take Hutton over Westwood too.

He huffed and he puffed on Sunday, fair play for that. But he was shit.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Hutton

Cissokho

Bunn

Kozak

Richards

Agbonlahor

All comfortably worse players, and I'm being generous by leaving Bacuna off there.

Bacuna definitely has more to his game than Westwood and although Richards has been a disgrace for us he is not 'comfortably' worse than Westwood.

I'm not sure bunn can be completely measured against Westwood either.

As for the other 3, I agree. but they are some of the worse players I've ever seen in football..... not just at this club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So you'll admit he's maybe 6th/7th worst player at the club? 

I'd say you're about right, though I'd not have Bacuna in the discussion. I'd probably take Hutton over Westwood too.

He huffed and he puffed on Sunday, fair play for that. But he was shit.  

The number 5 was just arbitrary, to show that to say he's in the top 5 worst players to wear the shirt ever was absurd hyperbole.

42 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Bacuna definitely has more to his game than Westwood and although Richards has been a disgrace for us he is not 'comfortably' worse than Westwood.

I'm not sure bunn can be completely measured against Westwood either.

As for the other 3, I agree. but they are some of the worse players I've ever seen in football..... not just at this club.

How would you rate him compared to some of our previously departed PL midfielders - Barry, Delph, Davis?

1 minute ago, Woodytom said:

Who Westwood? They are all head and shoulders above him obviously....

Out of those three Barry was the only one who was pretty much unanimously rated when he was at Villa.

Davis did ok but we didn't seem to miss him when he left, and people were pretty divided on Delph right up to the day he left.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Out of those three Barry was the only one who was pretty much unanimously rated when he was at Villa.

Davis did ok but we didn't seem to miss him when he left, and people were pretty divided on Delph right up to the day he left.

Ok, not really sure what your point is though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

But Davis was a promising young player struggling to get games in a team looking to push near the top end of the premier league. He wasn't the player he turned into. 

We're people divided on Delph? I can't remember many truly thinking he wasn't any good.

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But Davis was a promising young player struggling to get games in a team looking to push near the top end of the premier league. He wasn't the player he turned into. 

We're people divided on Delph? I can't remember many truly thinking he wasn't any good.

I think that's the point he was trying to make.

Before his last season for us, people were very much divided on Delph. That's about 5 years worth of quite a few people thinking he was crap. He was quite awful in that McLeish season for example.

• Like 1