Ashley Westwood

Nabby

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

He's an easy target because he's not an overly aggressive player playing in the heart of a team that lacks spirit.

Inject some spirit into the team from a manager who is capable of that and his other qualities would come to the fore like we have seen in some of his better performances and they are more than good enough to make up for the weaknesses in his game.

Why should any manager have to inject spirit into a player? That is one of the basic requirements of any competitive sports person especially footballers who are paid fortunes.

Any footballer lacking spirit shouldn't be on a pitch.

Westwood just isn't very good and no amount of spirit will make up for that.

• Like 3

I'll be honest, I like that he still shows for the ball.

Despite knowing he's playing badly, and getting cheered coming off all the time, he doesn't hide. Hide like Jedinak has been, running away and hiding behind opposition players.

Needs a break from the side, but we had no midfielders despite spending fifty **** million pounds.

22 hours ago, rjenkins said:

Ashley Westwood is a hard-working midfielder with a decent passing range. During his time here he's had some good seasons, although for what I'm sure are various reasons he does not look to me as though he has improved greatly over that timeframe.

There's no getting away from the fact that he is limited in terms of physicality, and he does have a tendency to tackle poorly or duck out of challenges altogether. We don't have anyone better at the moment, but I think we need to massively improve in central midfield over the next transfer windows.

Hardly a ringing endorsement. And I don'e even agree with the good bits.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Well, it's like this. If every time you (or I) posted on this message board a host of other posters then commented that the posts you made were "shit" "no good" "rubbish" "drivel" and so on, then after a while you'd stop wanting to post, you'd feel differently about the site, about yourself, about other posters, you'd be wary of posting again for fear of a hailstorm of abuse. It's human nature. When someone says they like your posting style, like your thoughtful contributions, you feel pleased and happy, and want to contribute further. When the opposite happens, if someone says (hypothetically) "you're wrong, you don't understand and come across as a bit thick" you don't get the same happy vibes.

Or take a football match, or the Olympics say. Say the ones in London. How many GB athletes mentioned how the encouragement of the crowd really helped them, gave them a boost..etc. Just about all of them. And the opposite occurs when a crowd jeers and abuses a sportsman or woman or team.

Sometimes a manager having a word saying "I believe in you, I know you're a good player" can be a huge help.

Good points but a manager having a word is imo is trying to boost confidence. A player or athlete showing spirit, well to me anyway, is still giving 100% despite his form being poor and not wanting to hide. Maybe spirit and confidence are the same thing but to me there is a difference. 

11 minutes ago, striker said:

A player or athlete showing spirit, well to me anyway, is still giving 100% despite his form being poor and not wanting to hide

Possibly that's true. Yet I still think that spirit can be sapped or boosted by external factors, and is not purely 100% down to the player, through I agree we'd all want and expect players to be persistent and hard working. 

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Well, it's like this. If every time you (or I) posted on this message board a host of other posters then commented that the posts you made were "shit" "no good" "rubbish" "drivel" and so on, then after a while you'd stop wanting to post, you'd feel differently about the site, about yourself, about other posters, you'd be wary of posting again for fear of a hailstorm of abuse. It's human nature. When someone says they like your posting style, like your thoughtful contributions, you feel pleased and happy, and want to contribute further. When the opposite happens, if someone says (hypothetically) "you're wrong, you don't understand and come across as a bit thick" you don't get the same happy vibes.

Or take a football match, or the Olympics say. Say the ones in London. How many GB athletes mentioned how the encouragement of the crowd really helped them, gave them a boost..etc. Just about all of them. And the opposite occurs when a crowd jeers and abuses a sportsman or woman or team.

Sometimes a manager having a word saying "I believe in you, I know you're a good player" can be a huge help.

and you are spot on ...no doubt

but,

When it is clear, that the person is struggling a bit of truth, presented in a humane way may be required.

Pete its not a game of domino's its a mans game.....and hey! despite players silky skills not all are suited to it, because the physical contact, if not applied can leave you very much limited.

The old shankly saying " you have to win the right to play football" ....no saying is anymore apt in football IMO

Andy Gray once said to me " I don't think I'm that good you know"....."But I think/feel I'm going to score in every game"....He really did have the heart of a lion and it was noticeable.

If I was going to give an award for our model employee, Ashley  would probably get it....never a peep out of him and that is to his credit, or is it part of his DNA that unfortunately finds its way on to the pitch....I genuinely feel desperately sorry for him.

How many times have you heard a boxer being described a "gentleman outside the ring and an animal inside it".....its just not him Pete and I hear you say,they don't all have to be like that.....but you have to have a bit in you, sadly he hasn't

I have watched too many midfielders in my time at B6 to know, He has a problem imposing the skills he has on the game.....The sharks smell blood( the opposition) and in this league it is highlighted.

Its a shame really, because I like the boys persona, I'll bet anyone that he is a lovely boy in private life......but he isn't right for us and we are not right for him at the moment in our present state.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

It doesn't matter what manager we appoint now and in 20 years time, whilst Westwood is alive then Aston villa will always be a failure of a club....

.... And lots of other horrible things about Westwood.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

It doesn't matter what manager we appoint now and in 20 years time, whilst Westwood is alive then Aston villa will always be a failure of a club....

.... And lots of other horrible things about Westwood.

Says a lot about this thread that I genuinely can't tell if this is sarcasm or not

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Michael118 said:

...according to Richard Sneekes.

If Westwood was playing for Burnely now or we had a top manager and Westwood was in that manager's plans he would look a different player.

:lol::o

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I'll be honest, I like that he still shows for the ball.

Despite knowing he's playing badly, and getting cheered coming off all the time, he doesn't hide. Hide like Jedinak has been, running away and hiding behind opposition players.

Needs a break from the side, but we had no midfielders despite spending fifty **** million pounds.

No villa player had more touches of the ball than Jedinak in the last game. 

And Westwood was dragged off at half time. 

13 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Based on the qualities I see in him as a player.

It's a different scenario because it's a different environment. Gana didn't look like a brilliant player for us last season. Westwood doesn't look like a brilliant player for us now. I think that would change if he moved clubs or we brought in a manager who could have the right influence. 

Don't you see the amount of excuses that have been made for him over the 5 years. I've lost count of the amount of times I've read 'hel be better with a different manager' or 'he will play better with better players' or 'he will be better in a 3', 'hel be better further up top' etc etc etc.

Your basically saying that he hasn't been good enough but avoiding all evidence of the common theme..... him. He's played under a different manager, he has played with different players, he has played in a 3..... and so on. And he's never once improved.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, blandy said:

Well, it's like this. If every time you (or I) posted on this message board a host of other posters then commented that the posts you made were "shit" "no good" "rubbish" "drivel" and so on, then after a while you'd stop wanting to post, you'd feel differently about the site, about yourself, about other posters, you'd be wary of posting again for fear of a hailstorm of abuse. It's human nature.

Never stopped me ;)

10 hours ago, DCJonah said:

No villa player had more touches of the ball than Jedinak in the last game. 

And Westwood was dragged off at half time. 

The point stands on Westwood.

Jed needs to step up and perform like this leader he was at Palace.

I don't want most touches a game, I want willingness to have it under pressure, to relieve someone else in a worse spot. 

Funnily enough Westwood offering himself, then losing the ball horribly allows Jedinak to see even less of the ball.

I have my doubts about Westwood as a player but i would hold judgement on him until we have a manager who sets a balanced team up. One with a midfield that can compete rather than fire fight against greater numbers and better tactics, Gana didn't look that great and look at him now.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, tinker said:

I have my doubts about Westwood as a player but i would hold judgement on him until we have a manager who sets a balanced team up. One with a midfield that can compete rather than fire fight against greater numbers and better tactics, Gana didn't look that great and look at him now.

It's no surprise his performances looked better when we were doing better as a team. He perhaps played his best football in that fleeting moment in the past 5 seasons where we actually had a fairly balanced and functioning midfield under Sherwood with Westwood, Cleverley and Delph.

As much as we disparage Westwood, how many midfielders have we had in the past 5 seasons that put on a performance like that semi-final against Liverpool? Of course, performances from him like that have been few and far between, but the same can be said about Aston Villa in the same time period with our inexplicably consistent string of bad managers and seasons. 

• Like 1

Lmao, so a handful of good games in 120+ appearances and 5 years means he's a good player? An actually capable player is going to perform more times than that, regardless of who their manager or team mates are.

I have never seen any other player perform so poorly for so long and yet still get leeway from some supporters. It's weird and at this point I believe it's stubbornness and a refusal to admit they were wrong than anything else.

• Like 1