Ashley Westwood

Nabby

There might be some evidence that some 2 man midfield systems aren't effective anymore (tho I would not rule out player stubborness as a cause) but to start bumbling on about how professional footballers have suddenly evolved to the extent where they can't play in a 2 man midfield is quite frankly, laughable.

Edited by Woodytom

4 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Well I didn't do that so I'm not sure why you are banging on about it.............AGAIN! 

It really isn't. Yes a lot of teams nowadays move away from the 4-4-2, but to claim A LOT of midfielders can't play in a 2.... is just, well, bollocks. 

This is silly, because your stubborness has led you even further down the line of 'he doesn't work in a 2'...... yet your still avoiding the evidence that he doesn't even work in a 3.

As I said, this has nothing to do with Westwood and I get that you need it to be in order to argue, but I assure you, I was simply commenting on a general sentiment. I wasn't even the one who said he needs to play in a 2. You realize a lot doesn't mean a majority right? I don't get how that's so shocking. I get why you're arguing it, but it's really not this outlandish statement you're making it out to be.

There's a reason why good box-to-box midfielders are at a premium right now and a player like Paul Pogba is breaking the world transfer record because he's almost one of a kind. 10-15 years ago there would have been many other similar players of comparable level. But anyway, it's not that serious so chill.

Oh and you kind of did ascribe (at least some) blame on him after the Barnsley game. No amount of mental gymnastics can delete this:

On 9/28/2016 at 04:39, Woodytom said:

Any coincidence ;)

4 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

How do you know if you're a part of the Westwood defense society? Do i get invited or by not needlessly slagging him off i get in automatically?

Just not be personally offended by his existence on this planet if I were to guess

• Like 1

I still don't quite get the hatred for Westwood. Don't get me wrong I can see why many don't rate him highly (I don't either that much) but the sheer hate and venom he gets on here is totally out of proportion. I'm convinced a lot of it is to do with the role he plays. Petrov used to have a similar role and also got a lot of flak. Not that Westwood is half as good as Petrov was of course.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

I still don't quite get the hatred for Westwood. Don't get me wrong I can see why many don't rate him highly (I don't either that much) but the sheer hate and venom he gets on here is totally out of proportion. I'm convinced a lot of it is to do with the role he plays. Petrov used to have a similar role and also got a lot of flak. Not that Westwood is half as good as Petrov was of course.

I think the extreme hate is because of the extreme praise and vice versa. Both sides have gone over the top and it just keeps going up and up. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mantis said:

I think it's because he's the last relic from like 2012/the Paul Lambert years, and to some people I guess is the poster boy of our 5 years of abysmal struggle, since he was a constant in our team throughout them. I can see where it's coming from, but it's way too over the top. Like, wishing leg breaks? Football is never that serious.

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think the extreme hate is because of the extreme praise and vice versa. Both sides have gone over the top and it just keeps going up and up. 

It's actually quite pathetic that someone (quite a lot of people actually) would take up extreme hate for a Villa player because some fans really like him.

Where's this extreme praise? There were some comments that were OTT not for at least 2 years now. 

Whereas we have people making comments such as 'I hope he gets a serious injury' only last week. 

It's disproportionate. There simply isn't extreme praise anymore. 

Edited by StefanAVFC

The extreme praise was an absolute joke. And I suppose what winds me up most about this thread is those that gave out that extreme praise, In addition to claiming I knew nothing about football/had personal vendettas (etc) because I didn't agree, have kinda just gradually muted their excitement with regards Westwood, instead of coming forward and saying.... actually, we went well over the top there.

I don't personally hate Westwood at all. I don't think he's very good and haven't since day 1.

• Like 1