Ashley Westwood

Nabby

It was not that long ago that "if you could not see Westwood's greatness, you did not understand football"

The hoping he breaks his legs is silly and bang out of order, said in effect I assume.

The "future England captain" is just as silly, but you have to applaud the optimism I guess 

2 minutes ago, sne said:

It was not that long ago that "if you could not see Westwood's greatness, you did not understand football"

The "future England captain" is just as silly, but you have to applaud the optimism I guess 

Neither statement has been said in probably 3/4 years.

Yet the extremes on the other side have continued; even got more extreme if anything, so the 'extreme criticism balancing out the extreme compliments' line of reasoning doesn't wash. 

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Neither statement has been said in probably 3/4 years.

Yet the extremes on the other side have continued; even got more extreme if anything, so the 'extreme criticism balancing out the extreme compliments' line of reasoning doesn't wash. 

The first one was said, not in those exact words mind, during the start of this season.

If it was in this thread or in a match thread I do not remember. 

• Like 1

I don't see the comparison between isolated comments from possibly many years ago to a constant barrage that continues to this day. Like really, 1 comment at the start of the season...in a match thread no less is relevant?

He doesn't even need to play and there's someone shitting on him. The dude's name is constantly brought up in completely unrelated conversations regularly ffs. It's borderline an obsession. There's no comparison. Nor should there be. Why should there be a reaction to praise for an Aston Villa player, jheeze.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Where's this extreme praise? There were some comments that were OTT not for at least 2 years now. 

Whereas we have people making comments such as 'I hope he gets a serious injury' only last week. 

It's disproportionate. There simply isn't extreme praise anymore. 

It's not there now, but I think that led to it and contributed to how much people hate him now. 

That combined with him being terrible for such a long period of time and it's no surprise. 

53 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's actually quite pathetic that someone (quite a lot of people actually) would take up extreme hate for a Villa player because some fans really like him.

I don't hate him as a person but I do as a player. It's not just because of views on here but at times they've probably made me be overly negative in response. 

24 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I don't see the comparison between isolated comments from possibly many years ago to a constant barrage that continues to this day. Like really, 1 comment at the start of the season...in a match thread no less is relevant?

He doesn't even need to play and there's someone shitting on him. The dude's name is constantly brought up in completely unrelated conversations regularly ffs. It's borderline an obsession. There's no comparison. Nor should there be. Why should there be a reaction to praise for an Aston Villa player, jheeze.

It wasn't just praise. It was this attitude of you don't understand football or get the position if you didn't rate westwood. It was that extreme praise, the arrogance that others couldn't get it or understand it which I think has just fuelled the over the top negative responses around him 

The constant shitting on him is now because he's constantly shit and constantly playing. We have no other player who has been as consistently shit as Westwood in the squad. 

• Like 2

Just now, DCJonah said:

It wasn't just praise. It was this attitude of you don't understand football or get the position if you didn't rate westwood. It was that extreme praise, the arrogance that others couldn't get it or understand it which I think has just fuelled the over the top negative responses around him 

The constant shitting on him is now because he's constantly shit and constantly playing. We have no other player who has been as consistently shit as Westwood in the squad. 

He gets shit on when he doesn't play or even after a late game cameo, it's sad.  Also, Bacuna? Hutton? Cissokho? Like I said, he's one of the last of the old guard so I get why he cops more flak. I don't think it's fair though.

19 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He gets shit on when he doesn't play or even after a late game cameo, it's sad.  Also, Bacuna? Hutton? Cissokho? Like I said, he's one of the last of the old guard so I get why he cops more flak. I don't think it's fair though.

Bacuna had his every touch booed for most of last year. Hutton and cissokho have been in and out of the team and to be fair cissokho started the season well. 

I don't think it's fair that I've had to watch him play for so long. he deserves criticism and should have been replaced a long time ago. 

We sign him from league 1. 5 years later he's barely playing above that standard. He's not progressed one bit, we've been playing a league 1 midfielder in our team so it's no surprise the decline we've been on. 

9 hours ago, Mantis said:

This is going to be very controversial but I think some of his failings have been due to us playing 2 in midfield. He's not cut out for that role.

he played a three with Delph and Cleverley or Delph and KEA or Gana and Veretout etc and he looked crap

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Woodytom said:

This is getting silly. 

The silliest thing I've ever seen on any Internet forum was the reaction to Westwood after the Barnsley game. I've never defended him or even said he's even relatively a good player but that reaction was so insanely silly that everything people say in this thread is lost on me because of the pre-judged hatred and automatic blame out on Westwoods behalf no matter what he does.

13 hours ago, DCJonah said:

It's not there now, but I think that led to it and contributed to how much people hate him now. 

That combined with him being terrible for such a long period of time and it's no surprise. 

So, because some people rated Westwood, that makes it ok to have an overwhelming hatred towards him? Madness...

15 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

As i've said before if he signed him now we'd probably like him. But nearly 4 years of seeing a player getting worse is too much too take.  

He's having a very poor season in my opinion, arguably worse than last year having dropped a division. In my opinion he's not cut out for either level and never has been. 

• Like 3

On 10/6/2016 at 22:10, Woodytom said:

Don't you see the amount of excuses that have been made for him over the 5 years. I've lost count of the amount of times I've read 'hel be better with a different manager' or 'he will play better with better players' or 'he will be better in a 3', 'hel be better further up top' etc etc etc.

Your basically saying that he hasn't been good enough but avoiding all evidence of the common theme..... him. He's played under a different manager, he has played with different players, he has played in a 3..... and so on. And he's never once improved.

Especially the he'll boss the Championship nonsense.

On 08/10/2016 at 06:47, Demitri_C said:

If I knew the fans didn't like me, I would step up my performances so the fans start to. But instead Westwood deteriorates every game. Weak charchter. 

A shit player cannot turn into Messi. 

He is performing to his level.