Ashley Westwood

Nabby

This time, he deserves criticism because he was directly at fault for a goal. Against Barnsley, the reaction was so ridiculous that it kinda makes me ignore the criticism he's getting today despite me knowing he thoroughly deserved it.

8 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

This time, he deserves criticism because he was directly at fault for a goal. Against Barnsley, the reaction was so ridiculous that it kinda makes me ignore the criticism he's getting today despite me knowing he thoroughly deserved it.

I wonder if other fans have their own version of Westwood that they react so inexplicably to. I hope so, because that was embarrassing. 

5 hours ago, Woodytom said:

I didn't misread it. The club needs to get rid of the attitude of accommodating shite. From the top right to us fans. There should be no 'if' about it. It should be completely unacceptable for us to have to endure such poor players and we should make that known. Not make do..... After all we don't tend to make do with managers.

It's not the transfer window now. 

So what do we do?

40 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's not the transfer window now. 

So what do we do?

Well, look at the other options. Lyden perhaps. Somebody in the youth team that could come in maybe.... I'm not sure. Not my job.

However, we've voiced our opinion on RDM for what has been an appalling 12 games.... but it's 12 games. 

Westwood has underperformed for 5 years and we still don't voice our opinion of him in public in a hostile way.

Do I think that would be productive. Not really. I don't know. But what I do know is these players get a hell of an easy ride. Do we really know how they'd perform if we really put them under pressure and tell them to buck their ideas up? I don't think we do.

• Like 1

Under normal circumstances, it would be the  referee who gets booed for not calling a clear foul. It's like partisanship goes right out the window with Westwood, we hate him that much. He might as well play for the opposition :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Under normal circumstances, it would be the  referee who gets booed for not calling a clear foul. It's like partisanship goes right out the window with Westwood, we hate him that much. He might as well play for the opposition :lol:

I don't have an issue with putting pressure on them all. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Well, look at the other options. Lyden perhaps. Somebody in the youth team that could come in maybe.... I'm not sure. Not my job.

However, we've voiced our opinion on RDM for what has been an appalling 12 games.... but it's 12 games. 

Westwood has underperformed for 5 years and we still don't voice our opinion of him in public in a hostile way.

Do I think that would be productive. Not really. I don't know. But what I do know is these players get a hell of an easy ride. Do we really know how they'd perform if we really put them under pressure and tell them to buck their ideas up? I don't think we do.

The problem is, you've already said you think everyone in the youth team is shit and/or overrated, so there's no reason to think you'd like Lyden any more. 

I disagree that the crowd don't voice their disapproval of Westwood. He's increasingly booed at every game. You can judge for yourself whether it's improving his performances. 

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The problem is, you've already said you think everyone in the youth team is shit and/or overrated.

I never said that. I questioned the club's ability to transform our youth players into senior players.

Even so.. being shit Is not necessarily as bad as Westwood. 

• Like 1

Forget Westwoods ability with the football at his feet, one of the main attributes of playing in the championship is you have to be brave.  Go into 40/60 tackles knowing you are probably going to feel it the next day physically.  He never does this, hence why he is of no benefit to Villa.  Yes our other midfielders are useless as well, bar Tishobla but at least they dont duck out of tackles.  They might not get the ball but the opponent wont either.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Forget Westwoods ability with the football at his feet, one of the main attributes of playing in the championship is you have to be brave.  Go into 40/60 tackles knowing you are probably going to feel it the next day physically.  He never does this, hence why he is of no benefit to Villa.  Yes our other midfielders are useless as well, bar Tishobla but at least they dont duck out of tackles.  They might not get the ball but the opponent wont either.

Just off the top of the head, in the last few games alone he was lucky not to get a concussion going for a 50/50 ball, as well as somehow escaping a broken leg against Ipswich I think it was after a horrible challenge in another 50/50. 

That could have been true of him in previous seasons, but this season he's been noticeably snappier in the tackle and just more aggressive in general. Not very effective or good at it, but it's there.

33 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Just off the top of the head, in the last few games alone he was lucky not to get a concussion going for a 50/50 ball, as well as somehow escaping a broken leg against Ipswich I think it was after a horrible challenge in another 50/50. 

That could have been true of him in previous seasons, but this season he's been noticeably snappier in the tackle and just more aggressive in general. Not very effective or good at it, but it's there.

Against Ipswich he pulled out a ball in the 39th min that nearly resulted in a goal.  Chester went crazy with him.  Maybe its his size and he is protecting himself but it wont wash in the championship.

• Like 1

Just now, HeyAnty said:

Against Ipswich he pulled out a ball in the 39th min that nearly resulted in a goal.  Chester went crazy with him.  Maybe its his size and he is protecting himself but it wont wash in the championship.

I can see why, he's been trying to change that aspect of his game and almost got career altering injuries twice in the space of like 3 games. The Championship is rough, especially if you are always playing in a 2 man midfield. He's been hung out to dry by Di Matteo. The same would go for Gardner if he had more game time. Jedinak had the right idea of just playing at walking pace all the time, not that he has any choice  :lol: 

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

I can see why, he's been trying to change that aspect of his game and almost got career altering injuries twice in the space of like 3 games. The Championship is rough, especially if you are always playing in a 2 man midfield. He's been hung out to dry by Di Matteo. The same would go for Gardner if he had more game time. Jedinak had the right idea of just playing at walking pace all the time, not that he has any choice  :lol: 

Well im hoping the new manager goes back to a 4-4-2 and forget shoehorning players into positions they dont play.  Hate any other combination.

1 minute ago, HeyAnty said:

Well im hoping the new manager goes back to a 4-4-2 and forget shoehorning players into positions they dont play.  Hate any other combination.

I don't. We don't have the players for a midfield 2.

We need to play 4-3-3, load the midfield and start grinding out some 1-0's.

• Like 3