Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Ashley Westwood is a hard-working midfielder with a decent passing range. During his time here he's had some good seasons, although for what I'm sure are various reasons he does not look to me as though he has improved greatly over that timeframe.

There's no getting away from the fact that he is limited in terms of physicality, and he does have a tendency to tackle poorly or duck out of challenges altogether. We don't have anyone better at the moment, but I think we need to massively improve in central midfield over the next transfer windows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjenkins said:

Ashley Westwood is a hard-working midfielder with a decent passing range. During his time here he's had some good seasons, although for what I'm sure are various reasons he does not look to me as though he has improved greatly over that timeframe.

There's no getting away from the fact that he is limited in terms of physicality, and he does have a tendency to tackle poorly or duck out of challenges altogether. We don't have anyone better at the moment, but I think we need to massively improve in central midfield over the next transfer windows.

I'd love to know what seasons he played well for us, and I'm still scratching my head wondering how I've missed his 'decent passing range' over the years. 

'This is why this thread goes on and on and on. It's because there are still some out there that actually rate him. It's mind boggling. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, KSV said:

Apparently he's playing badly because he knows we don't like him.

...according to Richard Sneekes.

If Westwood was playing for Burnely now or we had a top manager and Westwood was in that manager's plans he would look a different player.

17 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

If Westwood was playing for Burnely now or we had a top manager and Westwood was in that manager's plans he would look a different player.

Based on what?

Also, why is it always a different scenario to the one that's actually playing out in real life now? Why can't he just look a different player regardless? 

Edited by Woodytom
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Zatman said:

exactly, forget the weekly shit performances. we just needed a scapegoat

He's an easy target because he's not an overly aggressive player playing in the heart of a team that lacks spirit.

Inject some spirit into the team from a manager who is capable of that and his other qualities would come to the fore like we have seen in some of his better performances and they are more than good enough to make up for the weaknesses in his game.

Edited by Michael118

34 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Based on what?

Also, why is it always a different scenario to the one that's actually playing out in real life now? Why can't he just look a different player regardless? 

Based on the qualities I see in him as a player.

It's a different scenario because it's a different environment. Gana didn't look like a brilliant player for us last season. Westwood doesn't look like a brilliant player for us now. I think that would change if he moved clubs or we brought in a manager who could have the right influence. 

Edited by Michael118

7 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Not saying he would produce at the level Gana has for Everton this season but I am sure he is capable of being a very good Premier League quality midfielder under the right manager.

He played under about 6 already and looked rubbish every time. How many until he finds the right one?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He played under about 6 already and looked rubbish every time. How many until he finds the right one?

He has played well at times under Lambert and Sherwood. Never really kicked on though just as they never did.