Ashley Westwood

Nabby

2 hours ago, commander said:

Especially the he'll boss the Championship nonsense.

Yeah, nobody's said that. 

Funnily enough, a quick search of this thread shows that the only people mentioning him bossing the Championship are you and Woody in an attempt to take down a strawman :lol: . Give it a rest mate.

• Like 2

In all fairness it's not his fault. We signed him and we've made him a regular since pretty much the day he came in! He's not gonna turn down a move to the Premier League is he. Ridiculous how we're still 'relying' on him though.

It does make a difference if people said he would boss it or not. Because see, there is a huge difference between saying he'd boss the Championship and saying that he'd be a good option in the Championship which is what most people were saying. I can see how that would be easy to miss if you only see things in extremes though. 

I see that you're reaching real hard with this Bruce comparison, but I'll bite anyway. The fact that there's no real comparison between a player and a hypothetical managerial situation notwithstanding, my overall point was that we should appoint him solely for the purpose of getting out of the Championship and nothing more. I'm not surprised that all you got out of that was "sack him". I'm not sure how that's anywhere near as 'harsh' as wishing for him to break his leg, or getting on his back after a 15 minute sub cameo but okay. My opinion on Westwood has never changed. I merely think that based on his attributes as a player, he is at least a good squad player for where we are (which has been bottom third of the PL and now the Championship for the past few seasons). I understand that is a really extreme position, but I don't try to justify his existence, there's no need for that. I just defend him from absolutely comical 'criticism'. 

But here's the difference. If Bruce becomes our manager, I'll be behind him 100%, because he's the Villa manager. As long as he shows he's up to the task I will support him, just as I did for every manager before him. I won't be overly critical of him just because of my initial perceptions of him; I would judge him based on his merits.  And if he comes in for some unwarranted criticism as Westwood is, best believe I'd be defending him too. I just personally think he's a bad Premier League manager and don't think he's the one to take us forward there. But if he shows for us that he can take us forward, then I'll be behind him too.

It's this wonderful thing where my opinion can be fluid instead of rigid and dogmatic. It was how it was with Sherwood. I was initially against his appointment due to his (lack of) credentials but fully behind him after he was appointed. He showed at first with some good performances that he was the man to take us forward and I was singing his praises. The next season and he showed himself up to be a charlatan and this weird thing happened where my opinion on him changed for a second time! Some people here have had this perception of Westwood from day one, perhaps because we signed him from League 2 and refuse to budge...going to ridiculous lengths to justify their position. Some of you seem personally offended that he even exists, and can't even keep his name out of off-topic threads, it has become almost pathological at this point. Please refrain from drawing parallels with me, it's borderline offensive. 

• Like 3

On 10/7/2016 at 16:06, Grasshopper said:

I wrote in the Richardson thread that I am a better footballer than him - nobody  pulled me up on it.

I'll go one further now.

I can take better corners & free-kicks than Westwood (not difficult)

I wouldnt chicken out of tackles and I'd make more of them in 45mins than AW in 3 games.

I'd be blowing out of my **** after 30mins or so (if I didnt get a red/2yellows by then for "over-committed" challenges)

......sign him up:)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Keyblade said:

... I just defend him from absolutely comical 'criticism'. 

I think when he loses possession in critical places, fairly consistently, and he does.....I think that is a problem worth mentioning.

Generally,He is lightweight and passive and that invites the opposition to take advantage...and they do.

He is not the only one granted.

20 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It does make a difference if people said he would boss it or not. Because see, there is a huge difference between saying he'd boss the Championship and saying that he'd be a good option in the Championship which is what most people were saying. I can see how that would be easy to miss if you only see things in extremes though. 

I see that you're reaching real hard with this Bruce comparison, but I'll bite anyway. The fact that there's no real comparison between a player and a hypothetical managerial situation notwithstanding, my overall point was that we should appoint him solely for the purpose of getting out of the Championship and nothing more. I'm not surprised that all you got out of that was "sack him". I'm not sure how that's anywhere near as 'harsh' as wishing for him to break his leg, or getting on his back after a 15 minute sub cameo but okay. My opinion on Westwood has never changed. I merely think that based on his attributes as a player, he is at least a good squad player for where we are (which has been bottom third of the PL and now the Championship for the past few seasons). I understand that is a really extreme position, but I don't try to justify his existence, there's no need for that. I just defend him from absolutely comical 'criticism'. 

But here's the difference. If Bruce becomes our manager, I'll be behind him 100%, because he's the Villa manager. As long as he shows he's up to the task I will support him, just as I did for every manager before him. I won't be overly critical of him just because of my initial perceptions of him; I would judge him based on his merits.  And if he comes in for some unwarranted criticism as Westwood is, best believe I'd be defending him too. I just personally think he's a bad Premier League manager and don't think he's the one to take us forward there. But if he shows for us that he can take us forward, then I'll be behind him too.

It's this wonderful thing where my opinion can be fluid instead of rigid and dogmatic. It was how it was with Sherwood. I was initially against his appointment due to his (lack of) credentials but fully behind him after he was appointed. He showed at first with some good performances that he was the man to take us forward and I was singing his praises. The next season and he showed himself up to be a charlatan and this weird thing happened where my opinion on him changed for a second time! Some people here have had this perception of Westwood from day one, perhaps because we signed him from League 2 and refuse to budge...going to ridiculous lengths to justify their position. Some of you seem personally offended that he even exists, and can't even keep his name out of off-topic threads, it has become almost pathological at this point. Please refrain from drawing parallels with me, it's borderline offensive. 

Still dancing around your handbag?

23 hours ago, Zatman said:

I imagine Bruce will have him playing the Tom Huddlestone role for Villa

Not so sure, i think Bruce likes tall CMs to be honest.  i would bet he wont be getting a look in much if Bruce comes in

2 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

If he doesn't get dropped now then i will hold my hands up and say i know nothing about football.  My opinion v 5 or 6 managers i have to be wrong don't I.  

probably be made captain next ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

If he doesn't get dropped now then i will hold my hands up and say i know nothing about football.  My opinion v 5 or 6 managers i have to be wrong don't I.  

To be fair to you we haven't many other options until January. If nothing changes by February then we'll both be in the same bucket.

• Like 1

I don't think Westwood is that good but he's not as terrible as made out either. He's just very 'meh' and not in a quietly doing your job effectively way unfortunately. 

Sick to death of modern football fans views though in the main. Too large a majority are spouting off in extremes when usually the truth is somewhere in the middle. A player doesn't have to be deemed great or garbage. I think we should/could find better but he's a steady player, just not with any qualities that make him stand out to warrant a place in the starting line up of a team trying to win promotion. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

Genuinely think that managers are wrongly made out to be super knowledgeable on football. I actually think there are very few managers who really are as clued up as the role suggests. The rest are just in the right place at the right time. I can't say I have any respect for the previous five football managers at this club.... If only for the reason that they all failed to get 11 professional footballers performing the most basic of footballing principles.

I'd say the fact we sit 19th in the championship says pretty much all you need to know about Ashley Westwood. Not his fault but he has contributed to the journey no doubt.

If Steve Bruce picks him my instant thought will be 'he hasn't got a clue'.

• Like 2