Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Am i right that he is only five foot nine? If so I am a bit worried we only have lightweight midget midfielders at the club.
Wiki says 5' 9" but the Crewe web site actually says 5' 7" - 12st 9lbs.

5'7" and 12st 9lbs.

fat little **** :lol:

And yet KHV the best midfield in the world isn't exactly renowned for being tall.

I think I'm starting to get Lambert and if I'm right then I'm more excited by him than any other manager since Ron Saunders.

It not the size of the person, it's the size of the fight in the person that matters! He means it when he says he want young hungry battle hardened players. Ones that it will mean something to turn out at VP in a Villa shirt, players who will be proud to hear the Holte sing their name and will do everything they can to come off that pitch with a win.

We have an owner who is fabulously rich but is also a businessman maybe just maybe between him and PL we have finally got a chance of achieving what RL's vision was for us when he took over.

I assume you mean the barcelona midfield that over the last few seasons has relied on the defensive midfield capabilities of the tiny yaya toure, the tiny sergio busquets and has just bought the tiny alex song?

I do but I still don't believe that you only need giants in order to compete, if we were able to sign players of the ilk of Yaya Toure then it would be fantastic but we don't. I would much rather let PL decide who he wants than you, me or anyone else for that matter.

If PL wants and big unit in midfield I'm sure he will be out scouting for one that is within Villa's price range for now we go with what we have, enjoy.

Sounds promising. Hopefully he'll turn out to be a coup.

By the description of style of play, I wonder if he's in as backup/alternative to El Ahmadi. Think we'll generally start with 3 of the 6 centre mids, as follows:

Herd/Delph - primary role: energy/winning the ball back

El Ahmadi/Westwood - keep possession ticking over

Ireland/Bannan - creativity

Yeah, I think you're on to something there about him being a back-up/apprentice to El Ahmadi.

Here's his own description of his style of play -

I see myself as a Michael Carrick type of player, someone who stays out of the limelight and keeps it simple, retaining the ball and laying it off to team-mates.

I was a bit worried when I first saw that because I'm of the belief we're crying out to fill those positions in front of those type of players, the ones who look to shoot and take the ball on.

But I also believe it's a good idea to bring in a player to learn from El Ahmadi, keep the transition fluid.

Also I could see him, El Ahmadi, Herd and Delph competing for the two slots, if we ever played the formation in a game, in a 4- 2 -3-1

And bringing in hungry players does wonders for competion for places and that's what we need.

One thing you know you are getting when signing a player from Crewe is that he has been taught the game properly and will be comfortable on the ball. I have two Crewe supporting mates and they are absolutely gutted about this. Both reckon he is a better player than Platt was when he left to join us. Could well turn out to be the best bit of business this club has done in a long while

isnt this kid in a similar mould to herd?

these signings have been interesting cant fault them yet, i hope they do well, at least weve got depth to rotate now

does anyone know how much weve paid for him?

Really excited about this guy.

Likes a tackle, but can pass. Young, but has a fair amount of games - and if you are a lightweight, you wouldn't get very far in Leagues 1 & 2 unless there is something special in your locker - those divisions have [some] guys who can only kick people. Alos being appointed captain (no matter for how long) shows a level of maturity and responsiblity which a few of our youngsters don't have.

I can see this guy and KEA forming a good 'holding' 2, as both can step forward, but they would cover for the FBs who we know PL loves to get forward. Add Delph and Herd into the mix, I think we are fine there, and will get a lot better the more they play.

One for the future but see him having very little impact on this season.

I imagine Delph, Herd or Gardner would probably be captain and player of the year for a team in league one so not sure we've improved on anything we already have at the club.

Let's hope we're still in a strong position by the time this lad is ready to contribute.

Isn't he Crewe's skipper?? if he's their captain @ 22 then there's gotta be something good about him!!

TRUST IN LAMBERT!

Captain for less than 4 weeks, quite meaningless.

I think the point is not the length of time he's been captain, but that the club was prepared to make him captain at that age.

Maybe we should sign Gary O'Neil and Lee Cattermole too then.