Ashley Westwood

Nabby

One for the future but see him having very little impact on this season.

I imagine Delph, Herd or Gardner would probably be captain and player of the year for a team in league one so not sure we've improved on anything we already have at the club.

Let's hope we're still in a strong position by the time this lad is ready to contribute.

He's local to the Crewe area so it's natural that he was spotted by Crewe, yet that's no barometer on how good a player he is. His local club just happened to be in a lower league. The comparison to some of our youngsters is moot, as it's simply based on his environment, not his talent.

Maybe we should wait for Newcastle or Swansea to snap him up then moan about how we weren't in for him.

I imagine Delph, Herd or Gardner would probably be captain and player of the year for a team in league one so not sure we've improved on anything we already have at the club.

Let's hope we're still in a strong position by the time this lad is ready to contribute.

He's local to the Crewe area so it's natural that he was spotted by Crewe, yet that's no barometer on how good a player he is. His local club just happened to be in a lower league. The comparison to some of our youngsters is moot, as it's simply based on his environment, not his talent.

Maybe we should wait for Newcastle or Swansea to snap him up then moan about how we weren't in for him.

Did I say don't sign him?

He clearly has potential but we need players to improve us right now and I don't think he's that player. I think it's asking a hell of a lot to expect a 22 year old from league 1 to come and instantly perform at premiership level. Delph was voted the best player at that level and he struggled even before his injuries.

I'm not writing him off, I'm not saying we shouldn't have signed him, I'm saying I doubt he's an improvement on what we currently have this season and this season is one I'm concerned about.

I noticed when reading up on him when he first broke into the team that one of his coaches said that he never really stood out coming through the ranks but in the last few years he had kicked on massively. I remember there was a similar story about a lad we bought from Watford, who was let go at 15 but begged if he could stay on and train, look where he is now.

I noticed when reading up on him when he first broke into the team that one of his coaches said that he never really stood out coming through the ranks but in the last few years he had kicked on massively. I remember there was a similar story about a lad we bought from Watford, who was let go at 15 but begged if he could stay on and train, look where he is now.

Was that the lad who performed well in the championship and then stood out in his team for the first few months in the premier league resulting in two teams willing to pay £10 million for him?

Not really the same scenario is it.

Very excited about this signing. Crewe fans seem utterly gutted. Everton and Swansea watching him closely too. I think we'll be watching the rise of a very good player for us here.

Was that the lad who performed well in the championship and then stood out in his team for the first few months in the premier league resulting in two teams willing to pay £10 million for him?

Not really the same scenario is it.

I was merely comparing their attitudes, especially when a constant fixture of this side is to lament the attitude of certain young players such as Delfouneso. It's not that long ago Joe Allen was playing League One.

Another excellent Paul Lambert signing.

How do you know, he has never played in the prem???

So far the only player that has done anything in the first two games is KEA who is the only one I am sold on so far.

Lowton has looked out of his depth so far but he has only had two games in the prem so its too early to judge.

Vlaar was decent at West Ham but was bloody awful against Everton.

I dont think you can really say if any of his signings are excellent or poor until they have played a few games.

The only think you can say about his signings are that they are all very risky indeed.

this guy will be our new Barry....

and i think those of you who think we wont see much of him this season are in for a shock...

I think Lambert has very big plans for him this season....

make no mistake this kid loves his football and i think PL has spotted how humble and driven by success he is...

im not going to argue if he is ahead of Herd or Bannan in the pecking order coz they have proved very average players....and i dont think PL rates them or thinks they have the right attitude...

Welcome Ashley!

and i think those of you who think we wont see much of him this season are in for a shock...

How many players have gone from league 1 to premiership football and hit the ground running?

If we're doing well and he's a regular in the team this season I'll be amazed.

He's 22 years old ffs - I think the plan is for him to contribute immediately.

You're so negative it's painful, you must be a joy to live with

How many players have gone from league 1 to premiership football and hit the ground running?

You asked this same question yesterday in the speculation thread and had multiple responses, or have you conveniently forgotten???

**** wind up merchant

Do you mean not contribute immediately?

In that case aren't you agreeing with me?

I remember a certain Paul Lambert signed Pilkington last summer from League 1 and he sure as hell hit the ground running in the Premier League.

You asked this same question yesterday in the speculation thread and had multiple responses, or have you conveniently forgotten???

**** wind up merchant

No I have forgotten.

It was players like Walcott, Ashley young and Phil Jageilka. I didn't see many actual players from league 1 to prem who performed well straight away.

Wind up merchant?

Do you mean not contribute immediately?

In that case aren't you agreeing with me?

no i think he meant what you said...

the point being if you cant start to make an impact at 22 then how long dya need to wait?

he will start against Swansea IMO...

the fact that he came from League 1 is not an arguement

Personally I think this guy was always more of a priority than Dale Stephens. Many Crewe youngster have made the step up from the lower leagues to the premier league/old div one, they have a fantastic record of producing quality players so their 22 year old captian and player of the season is probably a very fine talent!

I think it's a case of kids being on their holidays.

But to be fair to John, I can understand about what he was saying about wanting/needing experience to go with the young guys we've gotten. There were some good players in their late 20's/early 30's which I personally would have thought would have been invaluable to our cause this season.

BUT

Paul Lambert obviously has his own ideas and has bought in a group of young lads - who aren't inexperienced - they just haven't played in OUR league. He wouldn't have purchased them if he didn't think he couldn't use them in some sort of way this sea on, so John, KHV etc etc (sorry to name you, but you're both on this page) we need to sit back, have belief and mostly importantly put some faith into what Paul Lambert has done and get behind the team.

Also, replying to every single positive post in a negative way, regardless of whether you have been included in that posters thought process, is only going to reflect badly on you. You're going to seem utterly pointless to talk with, because whatever is said, you spin in a negative way. Surely even the most depressed villa fans can shed SOME light on the last transfer window?

You don'y have to be positive all the time, but sometimes it's just nice not to moan about everything in sight.

Liking what I've heard about this player so far. If he was on the radar of other Prem clubs, then bringing him to us can only be seen as a shrewd move by PL. And I guess we'll only know how much promise he has by giving him game time, which I agree at 22 he should be ready to do.