Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Looked like he played well. Unlucky with the free-kick. The pass at the end to Bent was good but hardly think it deserves the plaudits it seems to be getting. Fully expect any pro footballer to see and execute that pass. That said, that doesn't always happen at VP. 

I guess Delph shouldn't be considered a pro footballer then.

Looked like he played well. Unlucky with the free-kick. The pass at the end to Bent was good but hardly think it deserves the plaudits it seems to be getting. Fully expect any pro footballer to see and execute that pass. That said, that doesn't always happen at VP. 

I guess Delph shouldn't be considered a pro footballer then.

I don't believe their is a player at Aston Villa who can not see/execute that pass. Whether they do or not is a different matter. There certainly shouldn't be given the wages they earn. It's a pass that I've executed on a number of occasions albeit at a much lower level. I've made better passes and so has Westwood (to Gabby v Norwich). It really wasn't THAT outstanding.

Having said all this, I find it remarkable that there are so many pro players that can't use both feet, or clear the first man at a corner. Maybe my expectations are too high? 

Edited by Woodytom

Having said all this, I find it remarkable that there are so many pro players that can't use both feet, or clear the first man at a corner. Maybe my expectations are too high? 

Here's the thing, nobody can do everything right all the time. The difference is that the good players do stuff right more of the time.

So while everyone at Villa could see/time/make the pass like that, most of them couldn't do it a very high percentage of the time.

I feel like out of our entire squad Westwood would execute it with the highest percentage success rate.

• Like 1

Here's the thing, nobody can do everything right all the time. The difference is that the good players do stuff right more of the time.

So while everyone at Villa could see/time/make the pass like that, most of them couldn't do it a very high percentage of the time.

I feel like out of our entire squad Westwood would execute it with the highest percentage success rate.

That's a fair enough point. I would probably agree with that. 

I'm concerned that Cleverley is going to knock Westwood out of the team. In general, I wanted to sign a right-winger or right-sided forward so that N'Zogbia would be the one to be rotated out, because if truth be told, Westwood has started well this season. 

Our central midfield will now be three of Westwood, Delph, Cleverley, Richardson and Sanchez. Now players have to perform to keep their place and we can mix it up depending on the opposition. Fantastic.

• Like 1

I'm sure Westwood will continue to improve and remain one of the first names on the team sheet. It's his shirt to lose and Cleverley will have a tough task to dislodge him if he has been signed to play in the same position.

I'm concerned that Cleverley is going to knock Westwood out of the team. In general, I wanted to sign a right-winger or right-sided forward so that N'Zogbia would be the one to be rotated out, because if truth be told, Westwood has started well this season. 

Maybe Cleverley will sometimes play as a winger/wide forward like he did at wigan. Link

a7Huwnz.jpg?1

Of the current three midfielder starters, Richardson will be the one replaced by Cleverley because of his ability to press the ball. And whilst Sanchez isn't up to pace, Westwood will remain one the first names of the team sheet for me. 

• Like 2

Richardson has moved wide the last couple of games when N'Zogbia has come off for Sanchez, so maybe the plan is Westwood, Delph, Cleverley and Sanchez to compete for the middle 3 spots, with N'Zog, Richardson, Gabby and Andi competing for the wide spots and Benteke and Kozak the main 2 up front. Richardson and N'Zogbia can cover in the middle of we get injuries and there's still Joe Cole as well

Nice to have options for a change!

At the end of the day, Richardson and/or Westwood will miss out given Sanchez and Cleverley have been brought in (and are probably all-round better players for their respective positions) - but that's the beauty of having a squad and not the same players who play every week regardless of form and to a certain extent fitness.

What a pleasure it will be to potentially see Westwood brought on to replace a tiring N'Zogbia, with Cleverley moving out wide, when we are looking to hold onto the ball late on in the game and run the clock down.

Absolutely no way Westwood loses his place in the team anytime soon. He has rapidly progressed in his time at Villa so far and imo he still has a way to go until he hits his prime, which is a very good thing.

I'm not sure.

I can't see Sanchez and cleverley being signed to come off the bench.

I don't think they'll be handed permanent starting places until they earn them, though. I rate Cleverly higher than Westwood, but I doubt Lambert will replace the latter until Cleverly comes on and does something special or Westwood has a shocker.

As people say, competition for places can only be a good thing.

I don't think they'll be handed permanent starting places until they earn them, though. I rate Cleverly higher than Westwood, but I doubt Lambert will replace the latter until Cleverly comes on and does something special or Westwood has a shocker.

As people say, competition for places can only be a good thing.

Yeah its a great thing. With our next 6 games I think it will give the manager reason to change and try different things. I imagine it won't be long till cleverley is starting week in week out and Sanchez will depend on how he settles and the form of Westwood.