Ashley Westwood

Nabby

However, the superlatives are hardly being shouted from the roof tops.  

They're not being shouted from the rooftops in this thread either that I can see. Can you cite or quote any specific examples of unrealistic praise?

• Like 1

Its funny isn't it, all these professionals and ex-professionals, pundits and commentators all seem to think he's pretty good

Then there's a section of keyboard warrior fans who think otherwise

It's hard to know where to start with just how utterly moronic that comment is.

So people aren't allowed an opinion unless they're a professional, ex-professional, pundit or commentator?  Who are all of these people who all reckon he's pretty good anyway?

And the keyboard warrior fans, are they the same ones who said that Alan Hutton deserved a chance over the last two years?  In contradiction to the professional club owner and manager who bombed him out unfairly as it happens?

To be honest, I'm a little concerned for Ashley Westwood right now.

You would argue that on paper he doesn't get into our best 11, with Delph, Cleverley and Sanchez getting the no, but he has really stepped up his game during his time at VP. Don't forget that it was only 3 years ago that he was playing League 2 football. I imagine if he was playing for any other Premier League club, our fans would be clamouring for a player like him.

I hope that he doesn't get lost in the shuffle, and that he steps up when he gets a chance. That can only be good for us as it means we've got the best players in the side.

I wouldn't play Sanchez yet as he's not up to scratch and i'd rather Westwood get more game time to continue his football development than a player that will likely to be gone in 9 months

Then again Football is a squad game and all players will feature i guess the competition will be good and hopefully bring out the best in the team

They're not being shouted from the rooftops in this thread either that I can see. Can you cite or quote any specific examples of unrealistic praise?

Well, the reaction to his pass to Bent for a start. It was a good pass but nowhere near worth the praise it received on here.

There have also been shouts that he should/will be the future England captain. These were some time ago too. The Summer before last in fact and whilst it is impossible for anyone to say whether he will/won't be, and whilst there is no harm in suggesting he will be, there was nothing to suggest he would even ever warrant a call up based on his first season, after which those opinions first arose.

There has been loads tbh. I am not going to sift through the thread but just go back a few pages and you will see the reaction to his pass to Bent. It was if he'd imitated Kaka - Crespo in the ECC final in 2005.

Been asked in a few other threads but I'll ask again. Why 'on paper' are Sanchez and Cleverley better than Westwood?

Experience.

International Caps.

World Cups (In Sanchez' case).

Im not saying either are better btw (I know very little about the pair if truth be told), but they might be reasons for why people see them as better on paper.

Well, the reaction to his pass to Bent for a start. It was a good pass but nowhere near worth the praise it received on here.

There have also been shouts that he should/will be the future England captain. These were some time ago too. The Summer before last in fact and whilst it is impossible for anyone to say whether he will/won't be, and whilst there is no harm in suggesting he will be, there was nothing to suggest he would even ever warrant a call up based on his first season, after which those opinions first arose.

There has been loads tbh. I am not going to sift through the thread but just go back a few pages and you will see the reaction to his pass to Bent. It was if he'd imitated Kaka - Crespo in the ECC final in 2005.

Finish wasn't bad either.

What was the over the top praise for that pass? If that had been a "name" MOTD would have been creaming over it, the pace and timing over it was perfect, could not have been more on a plate for the striker in that position. He's not curled it round a defender with the outside of his foot from 70 yards away, but in that situation that's about the best he could do with it surely?

He's hardly going to be bothering anyone for the ballon d'or this season, but credit where it's due he does an important job for this team and he's been doing it well for ages.

I don't really see where this "shout it from the rooftop" praise is either.

All anyone ever really says is he's a good player and he's put in good performances really.

There's a couple of shouts for him to be considered for England, and when people like Colback and Delph are getting a look in I don't think that's such an outrageous shout.

That's about as high praise as anybody's given him as far as I can remember.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

You're reading words that aren't there. That's why you think the praise is unrealistic.

• Like 3

Its funny isn't it, all these professionals and ex-professionals, pundits and commentators all seem to think he's pretty good

So people aren't allowed an opinion unless they're a professional, ex-professional, pundit or commentator? Who are all of these people who all reckon he's pretty good anyway?

And the keyboard warrior fans, are they the same ones who said that Alan Hutton deserved a chance over the last two years? In contradiction to the professional club owner and manager who bombed him out unfairly as it happens?

Bore off Risso, where have I said people aren't entitled to an opinion?

I've merely said that within the realms of people associated with the game he's viewed as being a good player whilst a section of villa fans think otherwise.

Kind of like investing more faith in the film reviews of a 45 year old unemployed nerd over Martin scorsese

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 1

So people aren't allowed an opinion unless they're a professional, ex-professional, pundit or commentator? Who are all of these people who all reckon he's pretty good anyway?

And the keyboard warrior fans, are they the same ones who said that Alan Hutton deserved a chance over the last two years? In contradiction to the professional club owner and manager who bombed him out unfairly as it happens?

I've merely said that within the realms of people associated with the game he's viewed as being a good player whilst a section of villa fans think otherwise.

Kind of like investing more faith in the film reviews of a 45 year old unemployed nerd over Martin scorsese

So you actually don't get it at all. Take Tonev, Lambert thought he'd be a success in the Premier League; anybody with half a brain could see he was dire. The end result, off he goes after one failed season.

Been asked in a few other threads but I'll ask again. Why 'on paper' are Sanchez and Cleverley better than Westwood?

I think the three would compliment each other better without Westwood in there.

Sanchez can sit as a defensive midfielder and do nothing else.

Delph can work box to box

Cleverley can play in a more advanced role.

If Westwood was capable of playing more advanced then it would be a tough call, but I think the deep lying play maker suits his game perfectly.

In games at home against teams like Hull and Burnley I'd be playing Westwood instead of Sanchez to be honest. But in games against team who possess a bit of creativity, Sanchez has to play. 

Edited by PieFacE

Westwood's technique is superior to all three for me.

He won't fall out of the team without playing badly, so I'm happy with that :thumb:

Obviously our next five matches are obscene, so I think things will be jigged around a bit, but it'll be experimenting.

Can't wait for people to whinge in here when he starts v Chelsea after we've been whipped by Liverpool and Arsenal :lol: 

Future England captain? I haven't even heard anyone say he should be the Villa captain let alone captain of England. You are exaggerating the praise people give him and even seeing things that aren't even there.

So you actually don't get it at all. Take Tonev, Lambert thought he'd be a success in the Premier League; anybody with half a brain could see he was dire. The end result, off he goes after one failed season.

Alex Ferguson thought Bebe would be a success in the PL and he didn't feature in the PL. If a manager didn't think he'd be a success they wouldn't sign him would they? So it's ironic your talking about people with half a brain.

I like Westwood I think he's a really decent player and just as Vlaar benefits from having better players around him I'm sure Westwood will too.  It's great we have some choices in our midfield now with some really good players for us in the mix when you think about it.  We havent had that for ages and I hope that that really encourages Westwood to become the player we all hope he can be as we will benefit from that as a club.

Rather say all that than make a post arguing with Villa fans over how bad a player is and talking him down.

• Like 4