Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I think we should base all our opinions of Ashley Westwood when he was not very good.

Not basing him on this season at all..

The thing is, he's always been pretty good for us.

He's had bad spells, which you'd expect from a youngster who'd never played above League 2 before we signed him.

But generally speaking he's always been a good performer for us.

Woody has already admitted that he doesn't really rate Westwood and that his judgement of him will always be affected by that. He's also shown that he criticises him because his expectations are unreasonably high.

So his rating of him will probably always be behind that of the average villa fan. And that's fine. Just saying we'll probably never agree.

... and he's done pretty **** well for a player who has essentially stepped up from League Two.

He's looked nothing less than a premier league player since he has been here.

Well apart from that first game against Southampton where he probably froze a bit.  Westwood kicked on from that point becoming consistent, Lowton on the other hand..

... and he's done pretty **** well for a player who has essentially stepped up from League Two.

And quickly turning into a good quality PL player to boot!

• Like 1

Well apart from that first game against Southampton where he probably froze a bit. Westwood kicked on from that point becoming consistent, Lowton on the other hand..

Who ?

He's a decent player and has been a good signing. But now defence is improved its time for the midfield. Westwood IMO is the one we need to replace to become a much better team.

So even though he's been really good so far, we still need to replace him?

Will the underrating ever stop?

• Like 1

We signed him from crewe when they were in league one, not sure why peeps keep saying he'd never played above league two!!

Rant over

because they'd only just been promoted from league 2 and we signed him before he played in League 1

"Rant over"

• Like 3

He's a decent player and has been a good signing. But now defence is improved its time for the midfield. Westwood IMO is the one we need to replace to become a much better team.

Yes because that's how you get better. You improve.

Yes because that's how you get better. You improve.

Yes, you're right. So you'd bench a constantly improving player? Which completely goes against what you're talking about.

You've tempted me in.

So he can play defensive midfielder, but can't tackle, cover runs, anticipate danger, or cover space........so not a good defensive midfielder.

Get a DM, and move him forward!!......to do what, hes not a no 10 player, he can't beat a man, he doesn't score enough goals, and doesn't create enough.

I don't blame Westwood, hes an ok player.Hes not a good passer, hes average, hes not physical, hes not quick, and hes not aggressive enough.Why he is so highly rated on here is , to me , a sad indictment of how far we have fallen, that a bang average footballer is so highly rated.

Is he one of our better players?....possibly, but that doesn't make him a good player, we are incredibly poor at the moment unfortunately. 

He's actually a quality passer. He was amazing at Crewe and i watched him a lot. Like you said he's not incredible and just because he's one of our best players it doesn't make him good - that's also true. Obvious - but true. He's still a young and talented player and i dont get why you're slating him so much?

I tried reading through the arguments on Westwood for the last 10-15 pages and have just been completely baffled. In my opinion, over the last 2 seasons he's been a better, more consistent player than say, Cleverley. Who was rated at £7-8mil with a year left on his contract.

So my question would be to the people constantly underrating him, how much do you think he's worth in today's market and who could you see him signing for?

I strongly believe if he wasn't at this club he would be viewed alongside the likes of Rodwell and Cleverley, as an £8-12mil midfield player.

I feel the main reason he's disliked is because people can't cope with the idea of competition, Delph has to start, there is hype around Sanchez and Cleverley, therefore they are the 3 good midfielders and everyone else who wants to play in their positions at this club are not good enough for our club/ this league

• Like 1

I tried reading through the arguments on Westwood for the last 10-15 pages and have just been completely baffled. In my opinion, over the last 2 seasons he's been a better, more consistent player than say, Cleverley. Who was rated at £7-8mil with a year left on his contract.

So my question would be to the people constantly underrating him, how much do you think he's worth in today's market and who could you see him signing for?

I strongly believe if he wasn't at this club he would be viewed alongside the likes of Rodwell and Cleverley, as an £8-12mil midfield player.

I feel the main reason he's disliked is because people can't cope with the idea of competition, Delph has to start, there is hype around Sanchez and Cleverley, therefore they are the 3 good midfielders and everyone else who wants to play in their positions at this club are not good enough for our club/ this league

Yes probably between 8 and 10 mill. Not a top 4 player though but is one of the first names on our team sheet for me.