Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I think Cleverley is better.

But I think Westwood has PERFORMED better in recent times.

I think given a run in the team Cleverley may prove to be better. But as far as I'll concerned, the place is currently Westwood's to lose

• Like 1

He's a decent player and has been a good signing. But now defence is improved its time for the midfield. Westwood IMO is the one we need to replace to become a much better team.

So even though he's been really good so far, we still need to replace him?

Will the underrating ever stop?

Yes because that's how you get better. You improve.

Yes, you're right. So you'd bench a constantly improving player? Which completely goes against what you're talking about.

I didn't say drop him right away but the midfield is an area that needs to improve and we've just signed two players to do just that. Regardless of how likeable a player is we need to continue to improve. With the defence now sorted and benteke back in full training the midfield is the key area now. I think Westwood is playing very well but I think we can do better.

• Like 1

He'll either prove to be better than Cleverley, in which case great, he'll keep his place, or he won't, and Cleverley will play instead. It's called competition for places innit, something we've largely missed for the last few years.

That was my point. People are almost willing him to be bad because the idea that we'd have competition for the same position in the squad is alien to VP

Edited by skarroki

He's a decent player and has been a good signing. But now defence is improved its time for the midfield. Westwood IMO is the one we need to replace to become a much better team.

Yes, you're right. So you'd bench a constantly improving player? Which completely goes against what you're talking about.

I didn't say drop him right away but the midfield is an area that needs to improve and we've just signed two players to do just that. Regardless of how likeable a player is we need to continue to improve. With the defence now sorted and benteke back in full training the midfield is the key area now. I think Westwood is playing very well but I think we can do better.

It's got nothing to do with him being 'likeable'.  He is being judged on how he plays, since xmas last year he has been playing great despite our overall performances being pretty average. The only genuine criticism of him has been that he is not a DMF and also his corners. He will get more help now if he is asked to play DMF but I think he will be playing a more central role in midfield now and the experience of playing DMF will improve his overall game. His corners and set-pieces have been good this year and I hope he isn't told to hit in floaters when Benteke comes back. 

It's got nothing to do with him being 'likeable'. He is being judged on how he plays, since xmas last year he has been playing great despite our overall performances being pretty average. The only genuine criticism of him has been that he is not a DMF and also his corners. He will get more help now if he is asked to play DMF but I think he will be playing a more central role in midfield now and the experience of playing DMF will improve his overall game. His corners and set-pieces have been good this year and I hope he isn't told to hit in floaters when Benteke comes back.

Not sure I agree with corners. Against hull we switched and let weimman and nzogbia (I think) take one and they both put better ones in. I'm also judging on how he's played and while he's been good and very good in his last two games, I believe we can improve on him.

The midfield will eventually be Delph , Sanchez and Cleverley.If Westwood is as good as some of you seem to think, then he retain his place, but i have my doubts.

What annoys me is that if Westwood has an ok game, like against Newcastle and Hull, then he is talked up to such a ridiculous degree that it becomes irritating.For me , in all 3 games Delph and Richardson have been better.

The midfield will eventually be Delph , Sanchez and Cleverley.If Westwood is as good as some of you seem to think, then he retain his place, but i have my doubts.

What annoys me is that if Westwood has an ok game, like against Newcastle and Hull, then he is talked up to such a ridiculous degree that it becomes irritating.For me , in all 3 games Delph and Richardson have been better.

Spot On. 

Or people actually like to praise the players that play for the team they support.

Novel concept I know.

• Like 1

Or people actually like to praise the players that play for the team they support.

Novel concept I know.

But that is just simply not what is being said is it. 

I certainly love when I get to praise the players. It means they have played well. I am sure Rotterdam1982 is exactly the same. However, I prefer to praise players in a realistic and balanced way and I believe a lot of the Westwood fans heap unrealistic praise on the lad. Is there anything wrong with that? Not really. And I have no doubt criticized Westwood in an unrealistic manner along the way. 

To split the fans the way he does, kind of makes me think he is probably somewhere in the middle. He probably hasn't been as bad as I've made out at times in the past (and Ive already admitted that due to me not being a fan, I tend to scrutinize his performances more than others). That said, he definitely is not as good as some make out at times. I would absolutely love him to be that good mind, because we would have one hell of a player on our hands. 

• Like 1

Novel concept I know.

Or you could stop being so prissy and realise that there's people who don't share the same opinion as you.  Novel concept I know.

• Like 1

Novel concept I know.

Or you could stop being so prissy and realise that there's people who don't share the same opinion as you.  Novel concept I know.

The people who my comment is aimed at have expended a tonne of energy over the last 2 years telling us how they don't rate Westwood. Doesn't make sense to spent that much effort putting a player down to be honest.

I agree with you in the sense that I think the midfield 3 will end up Delph, Sanchez and Cleverley. However, I strongly disagree that Westwood has been worse than Delph and Richardson. I think he's been on par with Delph in all games TBH. But ultimately, Sanchez, Cleverley and Delph will compliment each other quite well I think. 

Edited by PieFacE

He's certainly a less spectacular midfielder than Delph, but so are the constraints of his role. I don't think attacking instincts should be confused with playing quality.

For me, he's one of the first names on the teamsheet. He's calm in possession, retains possession well, and performs an important role in allowing play to be built upon. His first touch is easily one of the best in the team and his performances keep improving. A great example of a player from the lower leagues improving his game to adapt to his surroundings.

I expect a midfield of Sanchez, Westwood, Delph, Cleverley + one of Gabby, Andi, Cole, Grealish to play in the role behind Benteke when everyone is fit.

I like him. I think he'll keep playing a lot as well.

I expect variations but I think Lambert is looking towards a midfield diamond - Sanchez behind Delph and Westwood with Cleverley further forward. Benteke up top and then one of N'Zogbia, Gabby, Weimann, Grealish, Cole in the hole.

What's great is that plenty of players on that list can actually control, pass and keep the ball which we have lacked for a long time.

Its funny isn't it, all these professionals and ex-professionals, pundits and commentators all seem to think he's pretty good

Then there's a section of keyboard warrior fans who think otherwise

Your point (albeit one that I made a few years back about Emile Heskey), is flawed imo........

Firstly, if we take Emile Heskey as an example - I can guarantee you that not everybody that is praised by the experts is seen that way by fans.

Secondly, Paul Lambert is a professional. He has won football's top prize. Do you agree with everything he does and says? Do you agree with everything that pundits/commentators say?

Thirdly, you say 'all these professionals etc' as if Ashley Westwood's performances are dominating the headlines. They're not. Sure if you go searching on the internet, you will find supportive text from sources close to Aston Villa. For example, The Birmingham Mail. And of course, there is the infamous Ed Chamberlain '3 game stars' list. However, the superlatives are hardly being shouted from the roof tops.