Ashley Westwood

Nabby

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

At least he's shooting. I'm fed up of constant play around the area with no one having the balls to shoot and we inevitably lose the ball and end up on the back foot. I'm glad Westwood has the balls to shoot.

Agreed. I don't know how many efforts he had today overall, but two of them were very good. That half volley was absolutely brilliant technique.

• Like 3

yep, the volley was a very smart effort. he could've had two goals today, but his confidence must be non-existent after the last 3 seasons. but ultimately its on him. he just doesn't perform at a high enough standard for where we want to be 

• Like 4

Thought westwood was decent today. Played well second half. I cant knock him too much for the 1st half as everyone was wank on the first 45.

I thought he was pretty good second half. 

2 hours ago, Woodytom said:

He is just the epitome of what we've been about the last 5 years.

Utterly toothless.

I've used a similar analogy before, he's just a nothing sort of player. And the fact that he has been an ever present in the team for a few years now shows just how poor we have been.

He absolutely is a nothing player. Two chances to get a shot on target from 18/20 yards under very little pressure and misses both, because his shooting isn't up to much. Created almost nothing going forward. I don't remember him making a tackle or intercepting the ball as the Sheff Wed midfield breezed through us. 

About as much influence as I have on Argentinian traffic legislation. 

• Like 1

I don't think he was that bad, probably the best midfielder ( of a bad lot ). He was what he's always been - nice passing, some decent touches here and there but no movement, can't protect the back 4 and teams carve through the middle of the pitch easily. Couple of nice shots, should have scored one. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Just read that back to yourself and recognise how much you're accommodating him - and that's what villa have done too.

Guess what, I play well with better players around me. Who the **** doesn't?

We don't want players who need the other players to make them play well. We want players who play well on their own accord. 

Ashley westwood, is in what, his 5th year at the club. He hasn't made any progress at all. That's astonishing when you think about it. 

By now, he should be completely controlling games, especially at this level. 

It's no secret that I've never rated him. It's got to the stage where I want him nowhere near the team. He is just the epitome of what we've been about the last 5 years.

Utterly toothless.

You are absolutely spot on IMO

This " he will be ok in a good team" really means he isn't good enough.....We need to improve and move forward, we won't do that with these type of players.

He may be a model professional and that is to his credit....but he is passive and passive in the execution of his work.

We need a combatitive player in that role......and ENFORCER who drives the team on ....... a William Wallace, ok so I'm getting carried away.....but you get my drift.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

I don't think he was that bad, probably the best midfielder ( of a bad lot ). He was what he's always been - nice passing, some decent touches here and there but no movement, can't protect the back 4 and teams carve through the middle of the pitch easily. Couple of nice shots, should have scored one. 

So in short.....He's not up to it.

If we want to move on we have to be ruthless.

Edited by TRO

As it stands he's still our best midfielder (Veretout potentially better, but looks to be moving on). And he looks a better player with better players around him, because his main asset is his passing and retaining possession, i.e he needs good players to pass to, players on his wavelength. In a team who play possession football he'd be a lot more affective.

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

So in short.....He's not up to it.

If we want to move on we have to be ruthless.

To an extent I agree - and I think Tshibola will grow in to the "enforcer" role. Either that or we sign a more defensive midfielder yet again.

I wonder if we'll stick with a central duo now or move to a central three?

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

To an extent I agree - and I think Tshibola will grow in to the "enforcer" role. Either that or we sign a more defensive midfielder yet again.

I wonder if we'll stick with a central duo now or move to a central three?

I hope you are right, but really haven't got the time to be planting seeds.....We want established plants, right now.

Our Fans have "the patience of Job".....but its not always a good thing.

We need a few Shaun Teales and Gareth Barry's.....Richardson, Townsend, Bremner..... even a few Houghtons and Parkers for some Guile.

I think the fans have been far too patient for about 6 years now. It's only been the last 6 months or so where we as a fan base have started to get truly impatient and rightfully so.

We don't have the time to wait for players like Westwood to step up, he hasn't done anything noteworthy since he has been here, time to either coast as a club along with him and others or be ruthless, cut the cord with the old malaise still hanging around and improve the squad. 

Basically, to me, it's up to him. Start contributing more impactfully, or go. We need to stop accepting and placating mediocrity.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, lexicon said:

He's getting berated for his entire contribution to the game, which was practically nothing. 

That's nice, but he's also getting slammed for missing a couple of difficult volleys, one of which he did very well to get so close on target.

In 90 minutes:

Gestede did a flick on, Hutton should have had a free kick and Westwood did a volley.

Excuse me if I refrain from pulling my pants down and romantically nourishing myself.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, useless said:

As it stands he's still our best midfielder (Veretout potentially better, but looks to be moving on). And he looks a better player with better players around him, because his main asset is his passing and retaining possession, i.e he needs good players to pass to, players on his wavelength. In a team who play possession football he'd be a lot more affective.

I don't get this. Possession retention is totally subjective. If you get the ball off your defender whilst facing him, don't turn around to see what's on and play a first time ball back to said defender despite being in space yourself then yes this is retaining possession. It's stat friendly.  It's also utterly useless. It's a cop out. It's cowardly. Talented midfielders can play it simple - when needs be, if it's not on. But have the bravery to look up and make a forward pass. I wouldn't of called the Reading team that went with sidewall, Doyle, and long a possession team, still technically adept.. but they were absolutely ruthless. Hungry to win games, score goals. I'd take a bit of that right now.

On 8/8/2016 at 11:18, Johnnyp said:

I don't get this. Possession retention is totally subjective. If you get the ball off your defender whilst facing him, don't turn around to see what's on and play a first time ball back to said defender despite being in space yourself then yes this is retaining possession. It's stat friendly.  It's also utterly useless. It's a cop out. It's cowardly. Talented midfielders can play it simple - when needs be, if it's not on. But have the bravery to look up and make a forward pass. I wouldn't of called the Reading team that went with sidewall, Doyle, and long a possession team, still technically adept.. but they were absolutely ruthless. Hungry to win games, score goals. I'd take a bit of that right now.

I think Stats alone are a deceptive thing to rely on and a lazy mans way of assessing a player.....It seems to me the modern game relies on it even more due to lack of time.

Stats are useful no doubt...

.....but there is no substitute for watching a player play or watching a game live......providing you know what you are looking for.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

If you try to rate Westwood with 1 being a Sunday league player and 10 being Kante I would have him at about 3.

I'll give him a few more games but if he is still totally anonymous in games even after dropping down a division his time is up as far as I'm concerned.