Ashley Westwood

Nabby

13 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Well he isn't. It's as clear as day that he is a well below par premiership player.

Coasts along in games thinking he's Michael Carrick doing very little to actually effect the game.

Mind reading, too!  Can you tell me what I'm thinking?

• Like 1

Currently, I'd rather him play than Sanchez, you know what you're getting with Westwood, Sanchez can look brilliant and then ruin it with a moment (or 10) of madness. I still can't get that Arsenal game out of my head last year when he literally gave the ball away about 8 times in a row.

4 hours ago, AXD said:

Baker, Nzogbia, El Ahmadi, bannan to name a few recent ones.

and that's not mentioning Lowton, albrighton, weimann or hutton who I liked for some reason, but could be considered worse

Yep. I'd add Clark to that list too. Herd, Bennett? Did they make it to 50 appearances?

Albrighton is better now, but he wasn't for us.

Edited by Stevo985

This style of pIay suits him far better, as a possession based game will obviously play to his strength - which is his passing. 

The problem with Westwood is that he's very, very limited for a CM. He can't really defend and he can't really attack, just good at keeping the ball moving. He's definitely not a 'bad' player but he's only in the team because Sanchez is out. 

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

This style of pIay suits him far better, as a possession based game will obviously play to his strength - which is his passing. 

The problem with Westwood is that he's very, very limited for a CM. He can't really defend and he can't really attack, just good at keeping the ball moving. He's definitely not a 'bad' player but he's only in the team because Sanchez is out. 

People underrate how important this skill is though. There are such negative connotations to this "water carrier" role when there really shouldn't be. It's an especially important role for a struggling team like us because we need someone who can focus on trying to keep up the few attacks we do manage get off. If there was one thing Sherwood got right, it was clocking how useful Westwood's ability to keep the ball moving fast (and usually forward) was to us. 

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

People underrate how important this skill is though. There are such negative connotations to this "water carrier" role when there really shouldn't be. It's an especially important role for a struggling team like us because we need someone who can focus on trying to keep up the few attacks we do manage get off. If there was one thing Sherwood got right, it was clocking how useful Westwood's ability to keep the ball moving fast (and usually forward) was to us. 

While it is an important skill, you need another dimension to play CM in the Premiership IMO. You've either got to be a ball winner (Sanchez, Gueye) or more of an attacking threat (Veretout). He offers very little in either of those categories and the Veretout's a more incisive passer with better vision, Gueye's about the same and Sanchez is only a little worse in that area IMO. 

• Like 1