Ashley Westwood

Nabby

He was dodgly in the first half, and better in the second.  If we play 4-3-3 with the current squad, he has to play.  I'd be tempted to go 4-4-2, and have Gueye and Veretout as the two central midfielders.

• Like 1

Just now, claretman said:

Indeed it did.  I think he must have picked it up from my whining.

A lower proportion of his passes went backward than Gana and Gil. Maybe your moaning should be directed at them.

9 minutes ago, claretman said:

My 13 yr old lad said to me towards the end of the match "I think Westwood would be good at rugby".

Me-"Why"

Him-"Because he always passes backwards".

He's learning fast!

So would our whole midfield then, as statistically Sanchez is our only midfielder that has a higher forward pass percentage than Westwood, and that's because he always standing next to our CBs.

But no yeah, Westwood only passes backwards obvs.

I think our midfield as a whole is poor-I have no particular beef with Westwood but he has been around for a few seasons now and in my opinion is a very limited footballer.

If you rate him and want to use stats to support his forward passing then fine. Granted, he doesn't pass the ball to the opposition like Veretout did tonight or like Sanchez does once a match in a dangerous area but he is not incisive in his passing whatever the stats say.

So stats show that around 35-40% of Westwood's passes are backwards. Not good enough. 

I don't get how highlighting that two other dog shit midfielders passing it back even more, proves otherwise.

A big reason why the last 4 seasons have been a load of turgid rubbish. 

• Like 1

Apart from the goal, the highlight of the game was Westwood's back heel to Cissokho that left two Leicester players looking stupid.

I'm not saying that makes him a good player, but if Veretout had done it there would be animated gifs of it on every page.

• Like 2

The use of such a contextless and broad stat to prove or disprove anything is pointless. It takes neither position on the field when making the pass or the type of pass into account (I'm sure those who argue that he passes backward too much aren't calling for more ever so slightly forward horizontal balls).

IMO the debate is being taken too literally and what really is the point of contention, for the majority anyway, is a perceived negativity and excessive emphasis on safeness in his play, which is manifesting itself in this backward pass percentage debate ridiculousness.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, penguin said:

The use of such a contextless and broad stat to prove or disprove anything is pointless. It takes neither position on the field when making the pass or the type of pass into account (I'm sure those who argue that he passes backward too much aren't calling for more ever so slightly forward horizontal balls).

IMO the debate is being taken too literally and what really is the point of contention, for the majority anyway, is a perceived negativity and excessive emphasis on safeness in his play, which is manifesting itself in this backward pass percentage debate ridiculousness.

I'm sure that's the case, and it's probably a valid point.

But it was Woodytom who made the debate literal and broad by setting his made up benchmark.

Edited by Stevo985

Westwood is the kind of player who joins a team together with good positioning, sensible passes, a cool head, intelligent game management, and overall reliability. Players like that will look good when the team is going well, and poor when the team is struggling. The idea that getting rid of Westwood will fix Villa is slightly preposterous and shows an ignorance of football (remember, it's not a PlayStation game). If we were pushing for Champions League then yeah, by all means beat up on him, but at our current level he is perfectly adequate and the problems lie elsewhere: wingers who don't create chances, strikers who don't score goals, defenders who make mistakes... it's not that complicated.

• Like 2

I think he is improving. I saw at least one shot and a few forward attacking passes. His retention is always good. I just want a bit more thrust and energy from midfield and I don't think he's got that in him, but I can see a glimmer of improvement in his game.

I think to improve the midfield an upgrade is needed here, that's all, he's not the problem.