Ashley Westwood

Nabby

At one point in the second half today, (just outside our box) Delph played a simple 5 yard pass to Westwood, Delph then moved forward past one of Fulham's players into space to receive a return pass and Westwood passed it backwards instead. Under no pressure whatsoever, just didn't read the most basic of movements.

We were talking about him and his so called excellent ball retention at the match last week and i think the consensus was, it's not surprising he rarely gives the ball away because 90% of his passes are short simple/unchallenging ones that go either sideways or backwards.

STEP IT UP ASHLEY. Grow a pair and try to push your limits

I remember the movement. Delph was clear to go forwards and Westwood just turned around passed it to Bacuna. He was incredibly poor today.

I nearly had a shit fit at it. 

Crosses 8, accurate 0.

We're not as dangerous as we were last season from set piece situations.  

Time to move Bacuna into midfield where he can take them.

He takes a mean free-kick when its in the right area but from the evidence of his crosses from open play I'm not sure he'd be an improvement on Westwood. Lowton on the other hand!

Lowton is the best crosser of a ball at the club full stop

Yes he is. Its no surprise the quality of our our football has gone down since he's been out the team.

• Like 1

Why, oh why is he still given the dead ball?

That free kick he booted out was in a score-able position. Call me the craziest handsome Villa fan ever, but maybe give those to the guy who has scored two of his last three free kicks?????

Call me crazy too mate, but it's not his fault he gets to take them all. Someone else makes that decision. Edited by AVTuco

I still think he's a good player, and can be a very good player.

But he needs to be taken off set pieces. It's making him look bad.

This. Can't Bacuna whip in some corners instead?

Guess if he's in the team against Man U. I agree that we probably need  someone else to have a go at corners. Tonev? don't laugh  :D

To be fair to Tonev, in the Malaga game where Roncrete scored he put in the best corner i've seen at Villa Park in quite some time...

Granted it was in a friendly and some of his other corners in that game were pretty poor, but 1 in 3 decent corners is better than none with Westy.

• Like 1

I still think he's a good player, and can be a very good player.

But he needs to be taken off set pieces. It's making him look bad.

This. Can't Bacuna whip in some corners instead?

What i see from corners is Bacuna stays back and covers incase of break. Must be because of his speed. Lambert is only one to blame for the crap corners and free kick deliveries

So a Westwood corner and a Benteke headed goal on Sunday to shut everyone up? We can only hope.

There are two things that can be described as 'floaters': Westwood's corners and turds that wont flush. Sadly, the two are not mutually exclusive.

I like Westwood but, agreeing with the above, he needs to be taken off of set pieces. Who knows why Lambert persists.

I don't get it with Westwood.  He's got a decent enough shot on him, so why he doesn't fizz the odd corner with pace in, christ only knows.  If he can't, then give Bacuna a try, if he won't, then what on earth are we doing in training every day?

Myself and my missus met him in Sutton Park on the Sunday after Liverpool home match with his family!! His mum stated to my gf that they was all massive Man Utd fans and finds it strange her son plays for ''Aston Villa'' then said ''Someones gotta do it''

For me the guy is likeable but was almost in awe today.. They shown at half time twice he failed to track his man leading to goals, he is not a good defensive midfielder even if he looks up to Michael Carrick.. he isn't a playmaking midfielder and rarely scores. So what is he good at? playing simple sideways passes or passing back.

For me, that's nowhere near good enough.. Really think he was in awe today..

If you buy players from lower divisons some not all do not have that heart and desire to get to the very top and i would class some of our team of lacking talent and heart & desire, if rumours about Lowton are true and moving back to Sheffs because of his gf then have to question.. WHY they was overlooked when schoolboys from much bigger clubs than Crewe and Sheff Utd and combination for me of not being good enough, and lacking that heart & desire to be the best that they can be

Edited by Villan4Life

He was the only player we had in midfield who could play a forward pass. Its not Westwood thats the problem! Delph, Westwood + another creative player and we'll be a lot better.

Edited by PaulC

Rather than turning out to be "the next Michael Carrick" as he was touted by most last season, Westwood is turning out more like an incredibly poor man's Gareth Barry but without the technique, strength, composure or ability.

He doesnt deserve to be in the team at the moment, he's been poor and extremely out of form for most of this season. After the abject crap I've seen this season from the two numpties we play in midfield alongside Delph, getting a strong ball winner in midfield has to be the absolute priority in January. Westwood just ain't good enough and one well taken goal this season hasnt changed that. He has been extremely unproductive.