Jordan Bowery

FamousHolteUnion

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I asked some Chesterfield fans that when we signed him. 'Dunno, think he's shit' they said. None of them could believe a PL team actually wanted him. I said all along, I'm convinced he was some kind of vanity project. 'Look, I can turn any old shit into a decent footballer'

I thought I read Lambert had some connection to Bowery before he signed him, something like him being a family friend?

I can't remember where I heard that though so it might be total BS.

Edited by LondonLax

He's a really terrible player, but did, if I recall correctly, have two good games for us. One against Hull and the other away to Stoke, where he was excellent in the first half. 

However, the fact that he can't make it at that level tells you all you need to know. 

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's a really terrible player, but did, if I recall correctly, have two good games for us. One against Hull and the other away to Stoke, where he was excellent in the first half. 

However, the fact that he can't make it at that level tells you all you need to know. 

Funnily enough, that game against Hull more or less saved us from relegation* and he was a clear MOTM. Still managed to score an own-goal though (and remains an interesting pub quiz answer in being, as far as I'm aware, the only Premier League striker with more own goals than proper ones). 

*yes, we survived by more, but if we hadn't won, the teams behind would have fought harder on the final day. 

• 5 months later...
20 hours ago, useless said:

For all the mocking he receives Lambert kept us in the top flight, exactly where we'd like to be now.

He was taking us down before he was sacked. We just delayed the inevitable. Not that I fully blame the managers, the problem was the owner

As for Bowery, awful player. 

• Like 1

We were only in the relegation places on goal difference, and we hadn't been there all season. Lambert dropped Benteke which at the time I couldn't understand, but looking back it was probably what Benteke needed and in part is what made him come back a stronger player. I think with either Sherwood or Lambert we would have survived, thanks in the main to Benteke.

Bowery wasn't a very good player whilst at Villa, but that's hardly Lambert's fault. Unfortunately if your budget is as limited as ours was over the recent years then a few duds are inevitable.

Of course it was the Lambert masterplan to drop our only threat to fire him up! :D More like Lambert's eye bleedingly bad football was to blame for Benteke looking isolated and lost. Sherwood, as useless as he turned out to be, saved us that season by doing the basics right - playing to our key players strengths.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, useless said:

Bowery wasn't a very good player whilst at Villa, but that's hardly Lambert's fault.

Without turning this into a Lambert thread... What a complete load of tosh. Bowery had NEVER been a good player. His record was appalling at low league. Irrelevant of any budget we had, Bowery was not going to become a good player. The most random signing ever.

• Like 3

Sentence quoted isn't 'a complete load of tosh', since Bowery wasn't a very good player whilst at Villa and that was not Lambert's fault. I never said anything about his time at other clubs or claimed that he was ever a good player, not sure why I would, as that would rather contradict the point I made in my last sentence.

14 minutes ago, useless said:

Sentence quoted isn't 'a complete load of tosh', since Bowery wasn't a very good player whilst at Villa and that was not Lambert's fault. I never said anything about his time at other clubs or claimed that he was ever a good player, not sure why I would, as that would rather contradict the point I made in my last sentence.

Lambert signed him. Therefore him being poor at villa was Lambert's fault 

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 2

Â