Joe Bennett

Si.

Thought he looked completely uninterested in the first half. I know he was technically out of position.

But just basics, for example we had a freekick on halfway close to right touchline. Lowton is just going to play it diagonally to Benteke (obvious target), rather than tucking in a little bit ready for the flick on, he stayed 4 yards from left touchline. Benteke won the flick straight to Angel Rangel.

He didn't look bothered at all.

After a good point today I'm sorry to focus on a negative but if anybody can hand on heart say that this kid is playing better than Warnock was last year then as far as I'm concerned they are lying.

He may have potential but at the moment he is shocking.

After a good point today I'm sorry to focus on a negative but if anybody can hand on heart say that this kid is playing better than Warnock was last year then as far as I'm concerned they are lying.

He may have potential but at the moment he is shocking.

You must really feel strongly about this to state it twice! :P

I see Bennetts potential, he looks like he could be a useful attacking fullback, but is lacking confidence, and has been struggling with injurysince he arrived. As a result I think its very unfair to write him off now. Unfortunately today he had a bit of a mare, nearly giving away a penalty and giving the ball away quite often, clearly hasn't adjusted to the pace and physicality of the premier league, unsurprising given how as soon as he gets in the team he has gotten himself injured.

He's very raw.

I don't mind him playing left wing where he has defensive support behind him.

He's got pace, some tricks and a cross.

But nothing so far has suggested he's ready for Premier League as an out-and-out defender.

Lambert should stop experimenting with him there because it must be bad for his confidence.

I'd keep him, play him on the left wing until he gains much more experience.

Simply not good enough to play regularly at Premier League level. Should not be a first choice for our team. Lambert is being stubborn in continuing to pick him.

Certainly would pick Stevens over him for LB although I suspect my first sentence applies to Stevens also.

Trouble is, in his first season Petrov had time in a midfield with players like Barry, Young, Steve Davis and Gavin McCann. Bennett is much more exposed because his fellow midfielders are much weaker and less experienced that that line up and I'm not sure we have the luxury of letting him learn his premier league trade in our first XI.

Trouble is, in his first season Petrov had time in a midfield with players like Barry, Young, Steve Davis and Gavin McCann. Bennett is much more exposed because his fellow midfielders are much weaker and less experienced that that line up and I'm not sure we have the luxury of letting him learn his premier league trade in our first XI.

It is a bit depressing that we are looking back fondly on a midfiled containing Steve Davis and Gavin McCann :P

I like him, once our defence and midfield is sorted he will be good imo. But still think we should have gone for Aaron Cresswell in the summer seems more developed than Bennett and a better delivery on him attacking positions. Think Lowton and Cresswell would have been good fullbacks for us.

As ever on VT a player is being written off as not good enough seemingly this time on the basis he has not played like Ashley Cole in his first few games. As I see it we have signed some good young players from lower league sides (something that many posters were screaming for in the MON years). Yes they will take time to make the step up but the problem is not any individual player but more that we have so many young and inexperienced players in the starting eleven which is function of injuries which is not PL's fault and our deliberate policy of signing such players which is his 'fault'.

Personally I think the players that undelivered so far this season are mostly from our existing squad rather than the new signings.

He's inexperienced which means that right now he's not good enough. Unfortunately I think his competition at leftback is in the same situation. We have ability with no experience and that means they get exposed. In time I think he's the pick of the bunch, but that might be too late. It's hard to know what to do. Stevens probably edges it at the moment but he's the current pick of a fairly mediocre bunch, if truth be told.

I'm struggling to recall anyone who has said anything remotely like that.

OK the Ashley Cole bit was my poetic licence :) but I think my point still stands in that we have seen very little of Bennett and seemingly he has been written off by some as a player. An even better example was Westwood who played one game and was written off by many. Page 8 onwards in the Westwood thread for those that can be arsed.

Bennett may not be the real deal but I think its too early to judge particularly in a lash up defence in a side wasted by injuries.

Edited by Harry

Simply not good enough to play regularly at Premier League level. Should not be a first choice for our team. Lambert is being stubborn in continuing to pick him.

Certainly would pick Stevens over him for LB although I suspect my first sentence applies to Stevens also.

This!

I worry every time Bennett gets the ball. He seems to trick himself and whenever he rides a few challenges it doesn't look like he intended to do it!

On his showings thus far, I think he is mediocre at best. He has no pace, is clumsy, loses the ball and lacks positional understanding.

Not a fan.

Â