Joe Bennett

Si.

This kid is just not a good defender. He can cross a decent ball, when he decides to actually try! I personally do not want to see him in our defence again because he is just too much of a liability and positionally, very lost.

Think he's looked decent the last 2 games. At least willing to move with the ball, try to beat a man and get a cross in. Not always successful, not even close, but a whole lot better than the most of the rest of the team. Considering he has been the least bedded Villa player out there, that is very encouraging for me.

Not too sure the 2nd Spurs goal was his fault. Plenty of other mistakes contributed to that goal, and could he have actually put the ball out rather than in the middle from his position? I thought he did well to make the challenge at all.

yeah he made a very good tackle which fell unfortunately fell to Bale who strolled through as Clark was out of position

Not sure why people are having a go at Bennett tbh.One of the better players yday, put the only decent balls into the box, and was sound defensively.Played well agianst Spuds and kept Lennon quiet as well.

Lowton on the other hand has been awful the last 2/3 games.Gave 2 goals away against Spuds, and at least 1 yday .He needs a rest.

What really concerns me about Joe Bennett is just how left footed he is. To the extent where he is not prepared to use his right foot at all. I think he needs to work on this big time. Attackers know that this is his weakness.

He probably works best in a wingback system (if there is some semblance of a midfield in front/behind him), whereas Lowton looks a bit lost when going forward in my opinion.

Being a left back at villa must be a poisoned chalice. The player always seems to get stick whoever they are. In some cases (Alan wright) it is deserved. But it is a position that seems to attract a fair amount of criticsm

In fairness to Bennett and the other lads currently at the back they really have been thrown in at the deep end with no one playing alongside them to give them a little guidance. Defence is one position where having experience with in that unit is essential. What we currently have is the blind leading the blind. No one is taking control instructing the other players to pick up certain players, drop back at certain times, push up as a unit when we required. Positionally the whole back four is all over the place and a shambles with more holes in it than a culendar.

It also doesn't help when the midfield in front of you offers no protection what so ever. Both areas need addressing urgently.

Edited by markavfc40

What is happening to Bennet and Lowton (bad games) is exactly what happens when you have to rely on young inexperienced players at this level. They need nurturing and the ability to take them out of the firing line when things get tough. We do not have that ability and that is where the Manager needs to show something - he put them in this position and now needs to get them the protection otherwise they will be ruined.

Think he hasnt performed well. However I see these glimpses from him that make me think hes got it in him to be a good left back for us. Got pace, trickery, a good left foot and is aggressive. Basically what Leighton Baines showed in his first season at Wigan. However he looked suspect at defending but Moyes and his team coached him well. Bennett needs that.

After a good point today I'm sorry to focus on a negative but if anybody can hand on heart say that this kid is playing better than Warnock was last year then as far as I'm concerned they are lying.

He may have potential but at the moment he is shocking.

After a good point today I'm sorry to focus on a negative but if anybody can hand on heart say that this kid is playing better than Warnock was last year then as far as I'm concerned they are lying.

• Like 1

It was Bennett wasnt it who committed himself like a 10 year old when Dyer had the ball on the right for the goal? Jumped up to block the shot, Dyer faked, went past him then had the freedom of the pitch so get a ball in.

Absolutely right. When will people wake-up and smell the coffee? Warnock may of had some poor games but he is way, way in advance of Bennett.

Â