Richard Dunne

Zatman

Fair enough, so if it was Dunne or Defoe would you still pick Dunne?

Yes I think the defence is potentially weaker than the forwards I would be happy to go into season with Bent, Gabby and Weimann up front, but not with Vlaar, Clark and Baker without much cover for the fullbacks if Hutton and Warnock don't leave and are frozen out.

I trust Lambert, but I am nervous about the squad ATM, and I don't think we can gamble, because this team almost went down last season.

unless we bring in some strong players, we could get it second time lucky for the rest of the midlands.

IMO We are in desperate need of reinforcements and judging by many pundits other than Savage, they think we are too, with their predictions for us.

I don't think Clark is very good, so I think we need a replacement for Dunne. I think Baker is a bit better than Clark.

Really.

I think Clark is a poor centre half and i would go as far as to say baker and herd are woeful centre halves

Well I think Lambert rates (Clark)him and wants to go with him along side Vlaar. He keeps saying how he did well last season next to a young centre back, so I think his giving him a go...I don't mind that, but we have no left back and a right back who's also new to the Premier League. If Vlaar gets injured this defence could fall appart.

I would be shocked to see Dunne sold, not because I don't want him to be, or that there wouldn't be potential buyers, nor because it would leave us thinner (pun intended) at the back.

I would be shocked because I think Dunne doesn't want to sign a contract in England and will leave for the MLS after this season. If he is transferred to Stoke, they would want him to sign at least a three year contract and I don't think he will do it.

As for the points above regarding our CB position, there is a possible scenario where Dunne would be seen as 5th choice anyway, with Vlaar, Clark, Baker, Lowton (who played CB pre-season) all ahead of him given their youth, quickness, and comfort on the ball. Dunne won't be here next season anyway, so we should already be preparing for life without him by giving Baker/Lowton minutes in the case of injury and suspension.

Also, we can only register 25 players, and are woefully thin at other positions. I am sure PL has placed a value on those positions and will choose his squad accordingly. Right now we have 2 fit strikers, and we know PL will play 4-4-2 at times, Gabby and to a degree Bent have injury histories, so reinforcements at that position, and at full back, are most likely required. If PL believes that is where we need strengthening, then freeing up a squad spot makes sense. Furthermore, with respect to the wage argument, perhaps he sees Dunne at best as third choice, which then puts 50K of wages on the bench most weeks at the expense of a top full back or striker.

Finally, since I don't think he wants to be sold, I don't think Dunne on the books, regardless of where he ranks in the CB pecking order, will prohibit any further transfers or wage increases because he is coming off of the books after this season so there is light at the end of that tunnel. Having Dunne, Warnock, Collins, and Hutton on the books but not playing would be a problem however and I think that is how PL is looking at it.

We have enough cover in cb to not replace dunne. a left back we need but no cb and if it turns out we need one more therrs always january. fine with this personslly. we cant have amazing stars avross the board in one window. its work in progress.

Maybe in terms of numbers (although we are still light at full back I think) but can anyone tell me they'd be happy going with Clark, Vlaar, Baker and Herd to January, I wouldn't.

Just not good enough imo. Rather than let Collins go, the big mistake was letting Carlos go as he could play well in two positionsin the back 4.

I'm all for selling Dunne but we'll need a direct replacement, it's well and good getting a high earner off the books but the last thing an already small squad needs is to be further reduced in size, I still felt we needed at least 3 more quality signings and that's was even before the Dunne proposed transfer.

i would be dissapointed to see dunne go. When he came back from injury at west brom last year he was an absolute mountain, and along with given, was the main reason we didnt lose the game. He will leave at the end of his contract but i cant see us getting a decent fee and an adequate replacement better than him at the current time

How's this thread still open? Based upon inside info from a hack who's last two predictions were Roy Keane to manage Leicester and Chris Hughton to bring in Brian Kerr as his Newcastle assistant, both of which were bollocks. Maybe it will be third time lucky but the source is about as reliable as a 13 year old Twitter IDK bored of being on his summer hols.

Dunne, like others in matches, has made mistakes and there have been "rumours" of a bad attitude last season but without him after his injury we would be in the Championship.

Still our best current CB at the club. Can't see him leaving as he has said he will go to the MLS when his deal expires.

out of him, Hutton and Warnock he's the one I'd want to keep but if a good offer is made for him and we have a better replacement to come in, and we don't have that type of thing for either of the others, I'd be happy to see him go.

Â