Richard Dunne

Zatman

After last years debacle its good to see Dunne back to his best from 09/10.

I know he is not most popular player on here but think playing with Given and a manager like McLeish who appreciates defenders has made him return to form.

Nice chipped pass for Heskey yesterday as well

Long may this continue

Why whats Dunne, done that been so noticeable as an individual to warrant a tag of being back to his best?

The team is set up defensive...Its cost us in the attack.

So whilst Dunne and co' at the back look great...Our attackers in N'Zogbia and Bent look poor and get very little service.

Remember Birmingham City defensive under McLeish? Dann, Johnson looked top 4 class..But just remind me how goals B'Ham scored under his reign as manager?

Why whats Dunne, done that been so noticeable as an individual to warrant a tag of being back to his best?

So whilst Dunne and co' at the back look great...Our attackers in N'Zogbia and Bent look poor and get very little service.

Remember Birmingham City defensive under McLeish? Dann, Johnson looked top 4 class..But just remind me how goals B'Ham scored under his reign as manager?

And the award for missing the point goes to.........

Dunne is playing well. End of. Long may it continue. FWIW, I also think Collins looks better as well.

Well when you have Cameron Jerome as your main striker and not Darren Bent it's hardly comparable.

One day you'll actually say something positive. We've defended well as a team, unlike last year, so there is quite clearly an improvement.

Yep, been excellent. Been one of the top three players in all three games for me.

Looks a lot fitter, and is a lot more composed on the ball. The amount of balls he sliced last season drove me mad. I remember someone mentioning about Doyle giving him the run around last season which he did, but yesterday Doyle could barely get a kick. Dunne stayed tight to him and always beat him to the loose ball.

Not a fan of Collins, but he's done decent so far too.

first job of any manager is to make the team hard to beat

remember mon when he took over? draws a plenty while he got the defense sorted out and made sure we didnt lose, then the other areas were focussed on once the basics were fixed

its the same with mcleish

if we dont conceed we dont lose. we have a good attack and we can start worrying about bringing the best out of it when everything is nailed on with the defence

Yes very good to see the big man back to his best. He was immense yesterday and has played excellently all season. Also good to see Warnock and Collins back to the form we know they are capable of.

The defense certainly looks far more solid than it did last season and that at least gives us a starting base and something to build from so fair play to McLeish for that.

You're right. I came into this thread thinking it was meant to be about Dunne/defense. Obviously it's about our attack and lack of goals.

Give it a rest. You're very boring.

The truth of it is, our midfield are playing more defensively helping Dunn and Collins much more and making it easier for them, anyone who watches the games can see this. Yes its good but as we can see, our forward attcking i.e service to bent is suffering.

Im backing McLiesh 100%, but am hoping if we bring in a player or 2 he will change this set up, cause the game against the Wolves the weekend was poor entertainment to say the least and before you bite my head off, yes, there were signs of Blues playing style!

Im in the belief this will change..................hopefully??

I think both Dunne and Collins have improved this season.

I still think not having Walker, whilst hindering us attacking wise, has helped us defensively.

I think it's the fact our defenders are more suited to this style. Sitting back, midfielders deep, let the opposition have it, hope the sort of created chances come from out wide where Dunne and Collins are inevitably strong.

We were far more open last year.

I think it's the fact our defenders are more suited to this style. Sitting back, midfielders deep, let the opposition have it, hope the sort of created chances come from out wide where Dunne and Collins are inevitably strong.

More suited to the style of play or the style of manager?

For me, AM is most definitely the kind of no-nonsense, hard-headed manager that both Dunne and Collins seem to have some kind of connection with. Houllier, sad to say, did not.

More suited to the style of play or the style of manager?

For me, AM is most definitely the kind of no-nonsense, hard-headed manager that both Dunne and Collins seem to have some kind of connection with. Houllier, sad to say, did not.

both things sort of go with each other. When you think of no nonsense type managers, they are usually the managers who play a more defensive game and organised.

I don't think either defender accepted the way Houllier wanted to work and nor the man himself. Defending deeper with two holding players, definitely helps though, rather than seeing our cb's pulled wide, or high up the pitch.

I would imagine had Houllier stayed then Dunne would be sold and Cuellar/Clark would be the CB pairing. Its like Mancini when he joined City, he took one look at Dunne and decided he isnt the style of defender to take the club forward...Positioning and vision is lacking in the player..Pederson's goal v Blackburn is a prime example of how a player can run from a midfield position to get on the end of the cross and not one of defenders seen it coming.

And any defenders that need 3 players in midfield ahead of them acting as extra defensive cover cant be called great..If these 3 midfielders wanted to go forward we are too exposed at the back...We need a defence that can read the game and defend as a unit without having to rely on the midfield to do half their job.

Any good manager will sort the defence first. and Mcleish has already made great strides in this area.

The problem for me is can he pep up the midfield and attack ? - i have my doubts to be honest - especially with the limited funds he is being given.

Â