Richard Dunne

Zatman

out of him, Hutton and Warnock he's the one I'd want to keep but if a good offer is made for him and we have a better replacement to come in, and we don't have that type of thing for either of the others, I'd be happy to see him go.

Wouldn't you want every single player to go if we could get a better replacement?

I think you are asking for too much!

Can see a deal to either spurs or sunderland

How on earth do you come to the conclusion that spurs would be in for Richard Dunne!!???

Onsea is probably Irish... you'll find they are incredibly incredibly loyal (and talent blind to the most part) to their own Irish players.

I remember when Dunne had played about 10 games for us a number of the Irish fans on this board were comparing him to McGrath.

Can see a deal to either spurs or sunderland

How on earth do you come to the conclusion that spurs would be in for Richard Dunne!!???

Onsea is probably Irish... you'll find they are incredibly incredibly loyal (and talent blind to the most part) to their own Irish players.

I remember when Dunne had played about 10 games for us a number of the Irish fans on this board were comparing him to McGrath.

Not sure if serious...

Have you not hinted before, if I am not not mistaken Gazton, that Dunne could be off to MLS at some point in the very near future?

Depends how you define 'very near'. Before the deadline, no.

Yeah was thinking more along the lines of January if it looks as if we can cope without, or just the Summer when his deal runs out.

At least with Dunne staying we have an extra experienced option at CB.

I still see Clark and Vlaar as the CB combo for the forseeable though.

Maybe we'll monitor potential replacements over the next few months with a view to bringing in another CB in January?? IMO, we'll let his contract run out and then sort out another CB.

but if a good offer is made for him and we have a better replacement to come in....I'd be happy to see him go.

Wouldn't you want every single player to go if we could get a better replacement?

I think you are asking for too much!

Wouldn't you say this about every member of the squad?

Haha very true, yes I would. :D

But I meant if there is a deal actually lined up for someone Lambert deems a better option. If it's actually happening rather than just idealistically.

I can't imagine Dunne leaving this summer. It would leave our defense incredibly vulnerable to injuries, with Baker the only back up for CB. Imagine a back four with Licah, Clark, Baker and Lowton? Could easily be a disaster. And what if one of them gets injured as well?

Now, everything suggests to me that Vlaar and Clark are the pair Lambert has in mind for CB, with Dunne and Baker as back ups. I can live with that for now, aspecially if we get in a new LB with defensive strengths. There are no doubt though, that injuries could send us straight to the Championship this season, so let's cross our fingers for fit players!

Denied by Lambert in the Birmingham Mail

Reports in the English and Irish press have claimed Stoke are closing in on a deal for Dunne, who is out injured until mid-September as he recovers from groin surgery.

But Lambert expects Dunne to be available for Villa once he completes his rehab and says he has never considered selling the experienced defender.

“I haven’t heard anything,” said Lambert. “He just came back off the Euros and played a couple of games and got injured, so he’s doing his rehab at the moment.

“My main concern is the game against Everton. I haven’t even thought about anything like selling Richard.

“Richard has been very good. He’s had a brilliant career for club and for his national team. He’s been really fine. I remember seeing the shoulder thing, that was a blow to the team and he came back for the last couple of games.”

Â