Charles N'Zogbia

Daveburnside

He wasn't good at Wigan either. He was a MOTD player.

I said the same thing to one of my friends when we signed him. You see the odd flashy goal on MOTD and suddenly he is a £10m player. Actually watch him play and he's a £1m player. Who scouted this clown?

I think we've tried playing him in just about every position other than defence and he has still been poor.

Actually, think he has even been tried at LB :)

Pretty sure Martinez let him do pretty much whatever he liked when he was at Wigan? Seem to remember him having a free role and cropping up on the left, the right and through the middle. Dont think he has been given as much freedom since he has been here but Martinez's style at Wigan with the 3-4-3 was very different

I think he was good enough (relative to their other players) to be afforded that luxury , I don't think he is good enough for us to do the same personally and his form or contribution certainly haven't been.

Trent, do you think we will see Grealish starting soon after that performance from N'zog?

No not yet and personally I don't think he is ready to be starting games although I know I'm in a very small minority on that one.

I think we've tried playing him in just about every position other than defence and he has still been poor.

Actually, think he has even been tried at LB :)

Pretty sure Martinez let him do pretty much whatever he liked when he was at Wigan? Seem to remember him having a free role and cropping up on the left, the right and through the middle. Dont think he has been given as much freedom since he has been here but Martinez's style at Wigan with the 3-4-3 was very different

I think he was good enough (relative to their other players) to be afforded that luxury , I don't think he is good enough for us to do the same personally and his form or contribution certainly haven't been.

Trent, do you think we will see Grealish starting soon after that performance from N'zog?

No not yet and personally I don't think he is ready to be starting games although I know I'm in a very small minority on that one.

I wouldnt write him off just yet, I actually though his performances were picking up and then he had the injury and missed a whole year. I'd play him against West Brom, for some reason he plays well against them

Even at Wigan he was just a "highlights on MOTD" type player, and my mate who's a Wigan season ticket holder and used to be a coach there told me we'd soon be fed up of him.

To be fair season before he got injured I think he had a number of "not bad" games for us, not world beating games, not Young/Downing games but looked like an assett to the side/squad at least.

I thought in pre season he looked sharp, motivated and getting that player back would be a boost we needed in the attacking areas to help unlock defences.

Unfortunatley pre season against lower league teams is very different to the premier league and he looks very much off the pace since his injury to me. I was hoping it was a fitness/getting up to speed again thing (I'm pretty sure Lambert was hoping the same) but he has had quite a few games now and little to no improvement.

He used to be very good at beating his first man (he would then 9./10 run down a blind alley) but beating that man did open up space. If you watch him closely this season he is really struggling to go past anyone at all. Not sure if he has lost a yard of pace or what but dribbling (pretty much his only weapon0 seems to have been taken away from him.

Edited by villaglint

Didn't he almost single handedly kept wigan in the PL one season, i remember one season when they were bottom of the table and doomed to go down then suddenly they just started to win evry game they played

And N'Zogbia seemd to score all the match winning goals and was MOTM game after game.

I always thought about this when judging him and ive never slated him thinking he is just lacking in confidence, he will come good in a few games etc

But iam starting to lose patience, iam afraid he will never be what we all hoped he would be.

Maybe it's time for him to find a new club.

One of two things will happen whenever he gets the ball.

Either he gives away possession or he gives away a free kick, now I know the two are essentially the same thing but man, I've never in my life known anyone to give away as many free kicks as he does when he's in possession of the ball, it's frightening.

He really is counter productive to anything we try and do

I think the only way Charlie can be effective is to play him in a free role and absolve him from all defensive duties, which makes him the true definition of a "luxury player," I don't know if we can afford to have a player on the pitch who doesn't contribute to all phases of play. He is not and never will be any kind of defensive winger, he is a liability when asked to defend because all he knows how to do is manhandle, kick and foul. I think he was very lucky not to get a second yellow.

He did something that angered me so much in the Leicester game. Gabby had done some good work to bring the ball into their half and just outside the eighteen yard box. He passed to N'Zogbia on the edge of the box. N'Zogbia left the pass short for Gabby, and he had to stretch to reach it and fell over. With two defenders over him and lying on the ground, Gabby still managed to swing his leg around and pass it back to N'Zogbia. And even though Richardson was wide open and available for the pass, N'Zogbia actually passed the ball back to Gabby who was still lying on the ground with two defenders standing over him. It was maybe the dumbest thing I have ever seen a footballer do, passing to a guy who is not even on his feet. Needless to say, we lost possession.

I've noticed something about N'Zog.

He used to have a bit of a temper on him, arguing decisions and getting frustrated with others. Winding up the opposition and himself. He doesn't do that anymore.

Perhaps he's matured, or perhaps his drive has gone. Either way his form had gone out of the window with it.

N'Zogbia is a maverick and there's a need for a player of his type in the squad. Unpredictable, frustrating but capable of changing the game in an instant.

I'd much rather we had him in the squad than another dependable journeyman.

Like Detective Swallow- does he drive 80 miles a hour on the motorway?

Â