Rino8

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I have always said buying Brighton players is a huge risk. The club is well organised that a lot are system players and managers.

Potter, Bissouma, Cucarella failed when moving on. Trossard has done OK at Arsenal nothing special same with Ben White

100%, their players are system players.

Now Caicedo might be good for them, but for £110m he'd need to be Patrick Viera or Yaya Toure levels of good.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Like I said though I genuinely think these clubs have so much money that the fees are largely irrelevant to them, Liverpool have a higher revenue than Chelsea and utd they've just not splashed it historically, spurs could do it too if Levy felt like it

We'll see more and more of this

Higher revenue than United?  Really?

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

100%, their players are system players.

Now Caicedo might be good for them, but for £110m he'd need to be Patrick Viera or Yaya Toure levels of good.

Or Essien, or Kante. 
He needs to step up big time to match that valuation (obviously it’s not his own valuation).

When Brighton were rumoured to be asking for £80m at the beginning of the summer, I thought that was their 'silly' figure and that they'd end up coming to an agreement at around £60m from Chelsea for a player who in my head was in the £40m bracket. I'm genuinely blown away by this fee - he's a very good player, but this is the kind of money you pay for the very best central midfielders in the world - they could have had Bellingham for not much more.

This is the kind of fee that will put a ripple into the market for top quality young central midfielders - it's great for us - you can put £20m on Doug, Kamara and Ramsey this morning.

I'm not sure Caicedo starts in our midfield - I'm not saying he doesn't, he'd have a very decent chance, but he's the most expensive player ever in the Premier league and I'm not entirely convinced he'd start in a midfield that finished 7th, for that money he ought to be a player that makes you think 'wow' we just turned into something special - is he that?

It's extraordinary.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

When Brighton were rumoured to be asking for £80m at the beginning of the summer, I thought that was their 'silly' figure and that they'd end up coming to an agreement at around £60m from Chelsea for a player who in my head was in the £40m bracket. I'm genuinely blown away by this fee - he's a very good player, but this is the kind of money you pay for the very best central midfielders in the world - they could have had Bellingham for not much more.

This is the kind of fee that will put a ripple into the market for top quality young central midfielders - it's great for us - you can put £20m on Doug, Kamara and Ramsey this morning.

I'm not sure Caicedo starts in our midfield - I'm not saying he doesn't, he'd have a very decent chance, but he's the most expensive player ever in the Premier league and I'm not entirely convinced he'd start in a midfield that finished 7th, for that money he ought to be a player that makes you think 'wow' we just turned into something special - is he that?

It's extraordinary.

His value to Liverpool is different to his value to a club that already has a good defensive midfielder. If he’s the piece of the puzzle that turns them into title contenders again then the extra money they had to spend will be seen as worth it. 

I am gobsmacked.  I don't follow much footy outside of Villa but before this transfer I could not have picked Caicedo out from an identity parade and could not have told you who he played for.

£110m is madness.  How is he ever worth that much?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I am gobsmacked.  I don't follow much footy outside of Villa but before this transfer I could not have picked Caicedo out from an identity parade and could not have told you who he played for.

He's a very good player and only 21 so huge potential to improve.

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Never underestimate the power of a good old fashioned bidding war.  Liverpool also found themselves in the unfamiliar role of being in a (relatively) weak bargaining position, what with the player supposedly preferring a move to Chelsea and the fact that they lost both Henderson and Fabinho a year earlier than they’d probably planned to.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He's a very good player and only 21 so huge potential to improve.

He is, but it's a hell of a risk for a player that's played one season in a really organised set up. I'd say he's amongst the top ten defensive midfielders in the Premier League and more than capable of doing a decent job for Liverpool - it's the price that's extraordinary, I think they've overpaid by about £50m.

It'll be interesting to see how he deals with that, he'll be suddenly in the brightest of limelights and he's not a player that does eye-catching stuff - if Liverpool aren't winning games early, he's going to come under enormous scrutiny.

• Like 1

Â