Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

If we're disputing Guzan being very good in past seasons, well I'm not sure you can type Vlaar being "very good" with a straight face. Last few months of the season when he played he was becoming a proper liability for us save Spurs away when he was excellent and the cup semi.

I do accept once he settled in 12/13 he was important for us and also in 13/14 but he's generally been declining.

A big problem for me is he dosen't really seem to gel well with the other CBs we have here. If you look at him next to Clark or Okore....well Clark-Okore combo is much superior to that.

He did well alongside Senderos but Senderos won't be here much longer either it seems. He does o.k alongside Baker but then I'm not sure there's many that want to see Baker starting 30 + games a season, that and both are made of glass so race to see who can get injured first.

He's been an alright defender for us but I don't get the sense of impending loss I did when Mellberg left or when Laursen get crocked.

Looks like the starting combo next year will be Richards-Clark, not convinced by that really. I'd prefer Micah at RB and Okore starting.

If we're disputing Guzan being very good in past seasons, well I'm not sure you can type Vlaar being "very good" with a straight face. Last few months of the season when he played he was becoming a proper liability for us save Spurs away when he was excellent and the cup semi.

I do accept once he settled in 12/13 he was important for us and also in 13/14 but he's generally been declining.

A big problem for me is he dosen't really seem to gel well with the other CBs we have here. If you look at him next to Clark or Okore....well Clark-Okore combo is much superior to that.

He did well alongside Senderos but Senderos won't be here much longer either it seems. He does o.k alongside Baker but then I'm not sure there's many that want to see Baker starting 30 + games a season, that and both are made of glass so race to see who can get injured first.

He's been an alright defender for us but I don't get the sense of impending loss I did when Mellberg left or when Laursen get crocked.

Looks like the starting combo next year will be Richards-Clark, not convinced by that really. I'd prefer Micah at RB and Okore starting.

What makes you think that?

We really should try to be more reasoned with our comments.

As should Vlaar.

Vlaar's comments are reasoned, ours are abusive.

I'm sure he would be really upset about a few comments on a message board.

What makes you think that?

Everyone claiming Richards will start the season at centre half perhaps, Okore- Richards will be too similar probably plus one would have to play on the left whereas with either Clark/Baker there's at least natural balance.

I always thought Vlaar-Okore would be a really good combo but it never looked convincing partly as Ron had to shift to the left of the two and also due to Okore seemingly playing on one leg for the final few games of the season.

He will be missed if not replaced properly. He is a different type of centre half then what we have at the club. Clarke is a fire and brimstone defender, baker is a monster in the air, closest we have to Vlaar is Okore I feel (even then they are different). Him and Senderos complimented each other well, and I think they might be used to playing with a different type of player (more continental).

I remember seeing stats regarding villa's clearances versus passing out from the back when he is there and I think that sums up well what he can add.

We really should try to be more reasoned with our comments.

As should Vlaar.

Vlaar's comments are reasoned, ours are abusive.

I'm sure he would be really upset about a few comments on a message board.

Not sure if that's his point, I agree with Antrim. It makes for a very toxic environment and makes it very difficult to have a decent discussion when all people seem to want to do is outdo each other with the abuse. 

He's been OK has Ron. Made mistakes, had injury problems, but has also put in the odd fantastic performance. He's a decent enough player for the level we are at, but we must aspire to be above that level again. Agree that Clark - Okore is a superior partnership based on what I have seen and I think that we need to have back up and rotation players that complement those two, otherwise we are having to adjust tactically whenever one of them is injured/suspended. I think Richards has similar athletic ability to Okore so whilst I hope he is primarily deployed at right back he could be a natural back up for Okore. Vlaar should in theory naturally deputise for Clark, but for whatever reason it doesn't seem to work, he's too wayward. He can't seem to just sit and do his job like Clark, he has to be "involved". 

I think we should let him go. 

• Like 1

He was poor in his first season I thought, although I can forgive him a bit given that it was a new league and it was a shambles of a defence that he had to come into.

However, he was our MVP in his second season. Single-handedly held that defence together at times and if Benteke gets the lion's share of credit for our survival for 12/13 and this one, it's only right that Vlaar gets the same for 13/14. He'll always go down as a successful signing in my book just for that.

This season has been a mixed bag. His injury problems have exasperated and he has been somewhat inconsistant. Still had some important performances. Overshadowed in the minds of many by some high-profile mistakes. I'm happy that we didn't renew his contract but he is a fine defender, no doubt.

• Like 3

He was poor in his first season I thought, although I can forgive him a bit given that it was a new league and it was a shambles of a defence that he had to come into.

However, he was our MVP in his second season. Single-handedly held that defence together at times and if Benteke gets the lion's share of credit for our survival for 12/13 and this one, it's only right that Vlaar gets the same for 13/14. He'll always go down as a successful signing in my book just for that.

This season has been a mixed bag. His injury problems have exasperated and he has been somewhat inconsistant. Still had some important performances. Overshadowed in the minds of many by some high-profile mistakes. I'm happy that we didn't renew his contract but he is a fine defender, no doubt.

Well put.

I just think he's been disrespectful in not laying his intentions out earlier, if he'd said in May 'once the season ends I will not be renewing my contract, I want a new challenge', then fair enough. However, he strung us along, made some comments to try and hint that he might stay, so that he'd get a contract offer from AVFC, which he has had on the table for weeks now simply as a fallback incase he doesn't get offers he prefers elsewhere. However, he probably realises that now he's antagonized the fans by saying he can 'go a step higher', he won't be welcomed back to Villa Park next season, so has to consider sideways/backwards moves like Sunderland.

I just think he's been disrespectful in not laying his intentions out earlier, if he'd said in May 'once the season ends I will not be renewing my contract, I want a new challenge', then fair enough. However, he strung us along, made some comments to try and hint that he might stay, so that he'd get a contract offer from AVFC, which he has had on the table for weeks now simply as a fallback incase he doesn't get offers he prefers elsewhere. However, he probably realises that now he's antagonized the fans by saying he can 'go a step higher', he won't be welcomed back to Villa Park next season, so has to consider sideways/backwards moves like Sunderland.

Or maybe he's just been as candid as possible with us and he's genuinely taking a break from it all to consider his options. I can't knock him for being human.

• Like 2

Seems so odd that with just 2 days remaining of his contract, we still don't know officially if he's staying or going

I think deep down we all knew his intentions 12 months ago.

If it wasn't for being Lego Ron this season he would have probably been on his bike January.

I agree, he would have gone in January had he not been injured, surprise surprise. I don't understand why we are even debating this. His contact finishes on Tueday, we have offered him a new one which he has turned down as he want to 'step up' so end of discussion. The signing of Richards says to me the club are now done with him.

The bit I don't get is why we offered him a new contract. On his good days he has been superb, on his bad days he has been.....well bad. OK you could say that about lots of our players but the clincher for me is his injury record which is only going to get worse. Save the wages for a younger and fitter player.

If anything, having the summer off should make his injury record better. I can see why we offered him a new contract, I just wonder how it compares to Richards'. I have no problem with Ron looking to move on and think he was a very positive influence at the club.

He has increasingly become a liability, either in terms of his fitness or his performances on the pitch. On his day he's absolutely terrific, but he doesn't have many of those days. If he left I wouldn't be that bothered. Based on last season he won't be that much of a loss. 

Overall he's been very good when he's played - we all know his biggest problem has been fitness.

This.

He's been pretty consistently out best CB when he's played.

The problem is he hasn't played enough.

Â