Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

I don't think he's all that special in truth.

My only concern in losing him would be who we get to replace him As Baker and Clark are beyond bad.

He's been bang average in a poor team for 2 years.

I've grown up watching some great centre halves down the Villa. Vlaar ain't one of them.

Meh. I'm so indifferent to everything Villa related these days. I apologise for my negativity in advance.

• Like 2

If he won't accept being one of the club's top earners then he can **** off. He's decent but certainly replaceable. 

Not according to some - with Benteke out and Vlaar gone  we are doomed - we can't replace Vlaar as we don't have the money and any money raised will probably go in Lerner's Pocket! ;)

Again, sitting down with his agent and discuss his options doesn't mean his gone. I'm glad ge does! It means hes not stupid. After a WC like he had being 29 with one year left on his contract he would be daft not looking at his options.

One option is naturally signing an extension with Villa.

Well, on the irreplaceable thing, Lambert got him for €4m wasn't it? If we get £10m we'll have made a lot of money on him, I would back Lambert to be able to replace him with 3 times the money Vlaar cost in the first place.

I hope he signs a new contract though, unless a CL club come in for him at which point fair enough, last crack at the biggest stage and all that.

Well, on the irreplaceable thing, Lambert got him for €4m wasn't it? If we get £10m we'll have made a lot of money on him, I would back Lambert to be able to replace him with 3 times the money Vlaar cost in the first place.

The reason we got him for cheap is because he played in the Eredivisie and it was a signing that involved some actual scouting. Lambert seems to have abandoned that though now and has reverted to a MON transfer policy of Premier League experience only.

If that is the criteria that he maintains for any replacement then we won't be getting anyone near as good even if he gets the entire fee to spend*. We'll probably just end up with a has-been like Michael Dawson.

*Which in itself is unlikely.

The reason we got him for cheap is because he played in the Eredivisie and it was a signing that involved some actual scouting. Lambert seems to have abandoned that though now and has reverted to a MON transfer policy of Premier League experience only.

If that is the criteria that he maintains for any replacement then we won't be getting anyone near as good even if he gets the entire fee to spend*. We'll probably just end up with a has-been like Michael Dawson.

*Which in itself is unlikely.

So because we have signed 3 players with premier league experience which nearly every one was crying out for Lambert has given up scouting? The reason we got him was he was good enough for us and still is.

I've grown up watching some great centre halves down the Villa. Vlaar ain't one of them.

I think I 'd go along with this statement. If Ron leaves tomorrow then certainly based on his time with us in a Villa shirt I can't say I'd look back on him with any real fondness or as having been anything special.

I've been fortunate to witness one great centre half, McGrath, in my time as an Aston Villa fan and some very good ones in Evans, McNaught, Southgate, Ehiogu, Mellberg who combined both performances alongside many years at the club. Then you have Laursen who although didn't have the longevity in terms of number of games was more often than not exceptional. The likes of Teale, Neilsen, Mountfield, Dunne were also significant contributors to some very good defenses.

If Ron stays hopefully he can be part of a Villa defense next season that is a lot better than the one he has been a part of the last two seasons which has been the worst I can remember in my 30+ year following us. If he goes then good luck to him and hopefully Lambert can find another decent centre back to replace him.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

I think I 'd go along with this statement. If Ron leaves tomorrow then certainly based on his time with us in a Villa shirt I can't say I'd look back on him with any real fondness or as having been anything special.

I've been fortunate to witness one great centre half in my time as an Aston Villa fan and some very good ones in Evans, McNaught, Southgate, Ehiogu, Mellberg who combined both performances alongside many years at the club. Then you have Laursen who although didn't have the longevity in terms of number of performances was more often than not exceptional. The likes of Teale, Neilsen, Mountfield, Dunne were also significant contributors to some very good defenses.

If Ron stays hopefully he can be part of a Villa defense next season that is a lot better than the one he has been a part of the last two seasons which has been the worst I can remember in my 30+ year following us. If he goes then good luck to him and hopefully Lambert can find another decent centre back to replace him.

I think it's pretty bizarre that you go on about how Vlaar supposedly isn't that great yet put Dunne in there. The problem here is that you're only looking at the defence as a whole (which itself is connected to the team as a whole which has been pretty poor lately) as opposed to the individual. Yes this defence has been pretty poor but that's in spite of Vlaar not because of him - who knows how bad it would be if he wasn't there. Do you honestly think that if Vlaar was part of a better team with a much better overall defence that he would look out of place?

I'm assuming that going by this logic Benteke isn't one of the great Villa strikers of the past few decades because he's been a part of a team with a pretty average (and sometimes poor) scoring record?

It amazes me that even now Vlaar still gets labeled as "average" so much.

Edited by Mantis

Â