Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

I wonder if we'll be able to replace him when he leaves or is Senderos the replacement (shudder).

WHEN Vlaar leaves I think Senderos will be too old to be his replacement!! It's funny how most of the quotes don't mention Vlaar saying he hasn't thought about a transfer and will join up in Holland at the weekend as planned. I suppose you can spin it which ever way your mood is towards the club. Personally I think he'll stay unless LVG doesn't get his targets but hopefully by then he'll have signed a new contract anyway!

well fwiw i think he'll be leaving

To be fair why would he stay, If I was in his shoes I'd be gone too. He might decide to see out the last year of his contract and get a bosman but he'll be 30 then so it's unlikely he'll get a huge pay out. Better off leave a sinking ship now when he's off the back of a good world cup and get one last big contract. There's no incentive for him to stay at Villa as we won't pay him big wages, we are a club that's just fighting relegation every year and there's no sign of a takeover any time soon.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

I have a feeling he will be off as well. The typical response about sitting down with his agent to discuss options suggests that he is thinking about moving on.

If we could get £8m for him that would be ok, as long as Lambert gets it all to spend to bring in a couple of players.

I think he's off and off he were to move somewhere like Man U I wouldn't hold it against him. If however he chooses to play for the 5 a side squad Southampton will be left with then my opinion of Vlaar will change massively

If all he's doing to keep fit is bouncing on a trampoline with his kids then he can go for all I care.

Ron out, yer bouncing Dutch freak!

;)

Edited by turnbull
  • Like 1

If however he chooses to play for the 5 a side squad Southampton will be left with then my opinion of Vlaar will change massively

Why? Will your opinion change to think he's smarter than you originally thought. He's 29 and he has one year left on his deal. He's not going to get a big contract offer from Villa so it makes a huge amount of sense for him to go wherever he will get that big contract. There's absolutely no incentive to stay at Villa. The only reason he would stay is if other clubs offer him a smaller contract and given the situation at Villa now that's not very likely.

• Like 1

If however he chooses to play for the 5 a side squad Southampton will be left with then my opinion of Vlaar will change massively

Why? Will your opinion change to think he's smarter than you originally thought. He's 29 and he has one year left on his deal. He's not going to get a big contract offer from Villa so it makes a huge amount of sense for him to go wherever he will get that big contract. There's absolutely no incentive to stay at Villa. The only reason he would stay is if other clubs offer him a smaller contract and given the situation at Villa now that's not very likely.

It'll change because realistically this is his last chance at a big move. Money is always a factor but a 29 year old who's just been in the World Cup team of the tournament shouldn't be settling for a move like that when he knows bigger clubs will probably also be circling. Yes Southampton may throw money at him and I understand players following the money, but it'd just show a massive lack of ambition from him while his stock is high in my opinion

He's clearly pining for a wage rise, which is fair enough.

I wonder if we'll be able to replace him when he leaves or is Senderos the replacement (shudder).

Can you tell us who is replacement will be as well?

Edited by Mantis

The Israeli/Mexican youngster Noah Juan.

The thing is if he stays till the end of his contract I think he loses out. Another year playing for a team that will under perform and let in lots of goals will make people soon forget about those world cup performances.

I think his best chance at a big pay day is a move this summer and I'd be very surprised if he doesn't want to leave.

I think you're onto something here. I buy your argument that his best bet is to cash in now.

However, there's two ways of cashing in now. One is to leave, IF he gets a great offer. Second one is to stay here and sign, IF we make a good offer.

It probably comes down to winning, security, comfortability (if he's liked it here), and possibly the lenght of the deal. Without knowing what we offer and what another team offers, it's impossible to conclude what he'll do. It's not clear at all that he leaves, that's for sure.

To be fair he only asked the question. Somebody above has told us he is staying as though it's fact. Are you not going to comment on that?

To be fair he only asked the question. Somebody above has told us he is staying as though it's fact. Are you not going to comment on that?

I think people who are making definitive statements are jumping the gun either way.

tbh if you were ron would you want to come back?

The amount of desperate defending he had to do at times last season because he was alongside the chucklebrothers had him having to play at a million miles an hour

No wonder he was picking up so many niggles i think in a quality side with decent players round him he would enjoy his football more and probably get a payrise as well

Fair point.

Â