Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

My only concern with the Vlaar situation is Lerner not funding any further transfers in and therefore we have to sell our current prized asset to bring much needed quality into the team.

I'd dearly love to have Vlaar (and Delph) for that matter to sign new contracts prior to the Parma match next Saturday - seriously cannot see it though.

As others have mentioned I would prefer to let him see out the last year of his contract unless we are offered silly money. If that is the case and he leaves this month I'd go for Micah Richards as his replacement

That's another reason why Vlaar is better than Dunne.

...because he scored a 25 yard screamer once?

Strange attribute to compare centre backs on, but hey, it's been 3 minutes since someone has mentioned Dunne and Collins so ...

Vlaar_1.gif

VlaarSpeed.gif

ScaredPoshBorzoi.gif

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 2

Richard Dunne's first season he was the best CB I have ever known at the club. Was outstanding. I really do think Vlaar's performances at the world cup have masked the truth about him as a player. 

If he stay's, I have no doubt, we will spend the majority of it frustrated about the fact that he is injured. I have never witnessed him play for us like he did for Holland, and for a number of reasons, I doubt I ever will.

There is a bit of a difference from playing in a back four for a top six side with the likes of Milner in front of you, to coming in post-McLiesh and having next to nothing in front of you for cover.

I won't go into the argument of who is better out of Dunne and Vlaar, I'm inclined to agree that Dunne's first season here was sensational. 

Same here.  It's a nonsense trying to compare them, as you have to factor in the other defenders and the quality of the rest of the team.  We were playing Chelsea in one game though, and Dunne made a defensive header that was truly astounding.  He was sort of jumping backwards surrounded by Chelsea players, and it was the sort of balls on the line, but still brilliantly timed defending that I've never seen Vlaar do for us.

• Like 1

Richard Dunne's first season he was the best CB I have ever known at the club. Was outstanding. I really do think Vlaar's performances at the world cup have masked the truth about him as a player. 

I completely disagree with this.

Dunne isn't remotely close to be being the best CB I've known at the club, not even in the top 6 and I would have assumed you were old enough to have seen some of the players that would I have ranked ahead of him. In no particular order McGrath, Ugo, Southgate, Laursen for starters were way way better than Dunne ever was for us, he didn't even manage an entire good season as his form dipped for the last 3 months.

But anyway that is way off topic, I'm not sure why we are talking about Dunne.

As for Vlaar, personally I think the World Cup showed the true player and some of those around him playing for Villa have masked the truth about him as a player.

I agree that having better players around him helped Trent, but I stand by that the fact that I have never seen him perform so well, nor as heroically. In addition, I feel the fees being suggested (8m-10m I think I have heard (but may be wrong)) are massive given his injury proneness. I almost did think, when watching him at the world cup, that he probably held back a little bit for us, knowing this was his last chance on the world stage.

I think he is a vital player for us, no doubt, but, I don't think we will see anything other than a relegation scrap if he stays, due to him undoubtedly being out for half the season. If he goes I don't see anything other than a relegation scrap either FWIW, but it may be worth cashing in. Basically, I am saying that the world cup is very good at over-hyping players.

Side Note: Did not see enough of McGrath Trent, but as for the others, we will just have to agree to disagree. 

Edited by Woodytom

That's another reason why Vlaar is better than Dunne.

...because he scored a 25 yard screamer once?

Strange attribute to compare centre backs on, but hey, it's been 3 minutes since someone has mentioned Dunne and Collins so ...

He's much better with his feet than Dunne was. He's much better with his feet than most Villa defenders I've seen actually. I know people like a good old fashioned blood and guts defender but the game's moved on and it's important to have at least one of your CBs who is good on the ball.

• Like 1

I agree that having better players around him helped Trent, but I stand by that the fact that I have never seen him perform so well, nor as heroically.

He was pretty heroic coming back from injury a game early to stop the rot and lead us to victory at SOL.

I think he is a vital player for us, no doubt, but, I don't think we will see anything other than a relegation scrap if he stays, due to him undoubtedly being out for half the season.

He's missed 17 of 76 league games. If he really did miss half we'd have been thoroughly relegated last season.

• Like 2

Â