Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Vlaar is much better than Dunne. Dunne got beaten in the air by Van der vært and beaten for pace by Andy Carroll.

Not good enough. Scored a lot of own goals too. I can guarantee you Dunne would never play for Holland!

It does help if you're Dutch.

• Like 2

Vlaar is much better than Dunne. Dunne got beaten in the air by Van der vært and beaten for pace by Andy Carroll.

Not good enough. Scored a lot of own goals too. I can guarantee you Dunne would never play for Holland!

It does help if you're Dutch.

He could have played for them, his mum had a Dutch cap

• Like 2

Dunne, on form, was a great CB. Unfortunately, that happened only a handful of times a season and when he wasn't on form he could be absolutely diabolical.

Vlaar, on balance, is far more consistent and overall is a better defender.

I don't agree Lax - Dunne was plagued with mad spells and inconsistency throughout his career, you never knew if he'd get sent off or score an own goal. Vlaar is a lot more dependable than that.

• Like 1

I think he'd sign a deal like that, he seems to have some affinity for the club and he is certainly worth that much to us.

We're forgetting the other option, where we give him a new contract with a pay rise and agree he can leave next summer if he feels he needs to.

Everyone wins there. He gets a considerable raise, we keep him for another year and when he leaves we can get a fee

Edited by P3te

We also had Dunne at the end of his career but we have Vlaar in his prime. 

I think, both in their prime, Dunne was the much better defender.

Well get on the phone to Koeman and tell him to sign Dunne rather than Vlaar!

• Like 1

If he wants to go let him.

He's had a good world cup would make sense for us to sell him for around 10million

Not worth a massive pay rise and he can be replaced

Plus 2 season ago we did well for a few games without him until we got **** by Chelsea

If Bertrand can be sold for 10m, captain  Vlaar is worth the double.

Who bought Bertrand for 10m?? I thought he'd just gone on loan to the farm team?

According to the Guardian:

It is understood the deal could be worth up to £10m, should Southampton choose to make the move for Bertrand a permanent one.

If Bertrand can be sold for 10m, captain  Vlaar is worth the double.

Who bought Bertrand for 10m?? I thought he'd just gone on loan to the farm team?

According to the Guardian:

It is understood the deal could be worth up to £10m, should Southampton choose to make the move for Bertrand a permanent one.

Ah, cheers pal. Bloody hell, Chelsea know how to sort out a deal!

A total deal being worth £10m is not the same as selling him for £10m.  They could be paying a loan fee, plus with young players I imagine there'd be lots of success-based add ons.  £10m for Vlaar would be an incredible deal in the circumstances.  It's a hard decision for Vlaar.  On the one hand, he could stay an extra year, then more of the money might end up in his pocket as he leaves on a free.  On the other, his stock is probably the highest it will ever be right now, so does he maximise that and leave now?

Edited by Risso

If he wants to go let him.

He's had a good world cup would make sense for us to sell him for around 10million

Not worth a massive pay rise and he can be replaced

Plus 2 season ago we did well for a few games without him until we got **** by Chelsea

IIRC we did well for about 5 games where we went on a little unbeaten run and got a couple of wins but that was it. Every game since then where he's been absent we've lost almost every time.

Edited by Mantis

IIRC we did well for about 5 games where we went on a little unbeaten run and got a couple of wins but that was it. Every game since then where he's been absent we've lost almost every time.

He missed 11 league games through injury in his first season here and 6 last season.

Results without him:

12/13

Played 11

W2 D2 L7

Scored 8

Conceded 22

Clean Sheets 2

13/14

Played 6

W0 D1 L5

Scored 2

Conceded 11