Stephen Ireland

omariqy

Yeah he also seems the sort more than happy to sit and not play while earning big money.

I really did have high hopes for him but he's been a massive let down.

I dont blame him though. Im sure anybody on here would do the same thing if their boss paid them a big salary and not be asked to work. FWIW when he does play he gives his all and never any complaints about him not turning up for training or anything.

Its incredible to believe he is still only 27

If he's on 80k a week here, then he would have to take a substancial drop in wages. I really cant see anybody taking him on.  26/27 and had one good season in his career. Nobody will even take him on loan if they have to pay his wages. Why not buy his contract out and cut our loses.

If he's on 80k a week here, then he would have to take a substancial drop in wages. I really cant see anybody taking him on.  26/27 and had one good season in his career. Nobody will even take him on loan if they have to pay his wages. Why not buy his contract out and cut our loses.

Buying his contract out would, I assume, cost us the same amount as keeping him and paying his wages (we'd have to pay the wages he's due I assume).

As crap as he is, if we have to pay him anyway I'd much rather have him in the squad. No he doesn't add much but it's better than nothing if we have to pay him anyway.

Edited by Stevo985

As crap as he is, if we have to pay him anyway I'd much rather have him in the squad. No he doesn't add much but it's better than nothing if we have to pay him anyway.

We could make him the league's most well-paid boot boy.

He didnt just have 1 though. He had good season under Pearce as well and think did OK under Sven and was Villa player fo year last season

We must have been really poor last season if Ireland got player of the year. He came as a goal midfielder and has scored 1 goal for us.

He didnt just have 1 though. He had good season under Pearce as well and think did OK under Sven and was Villa player fo year last season

Wasn't he just fans player of yr? And that being said I don't know anyone who voted for him.. Given or stan were far more deserving of it last yr.

Wasn't he just fans player of yr? And that being said I don't know anyone who voted for him.. Given or stan were far more deserving of it last yr.

i thought he was our best player last season, though it wasn't hard to be.

he was the only one that showed a bit of skill, flair & creativity in a season of mind-numbing boredom.

With the bump in TV rights money this year, you never know, someone might take punt on him. West Ham or something cack like that. 

Im sure he was being linked in a move to the states earlier in the year?

Think that would suit him.

He's got 16 months left of a reported £55,000-a-week deal. In August he'll enter the last 12 months of the deal. In January 2014 he can sign a pre-contract with another club, unless we can cut a deal to offload him in the summer. But with £2.8 million left on his deal that will be as difficult or as easy as Ireland wants to make it, and on how much of a loss we want to cut on it.   

apparently City are still subsidising some of it

Still? I was under the impression there was some form of arrangement with them but my memory fails a bit. I remember reading stories about lump sum pay offs and also about them paying a percentage of his salary. However, I don't know how much of it was actually true.

never did i think that this club would be willing to, or be stupid enough, to pay over £50 per week to any footballer who isnt world class, especially considering that we arent exactly kicking it with europes best-ish either

until we reach europe again, no footballer at this club is worth more £40k per week maximum

Â