Stephen Ireland

omariqy

Why does every player who's ever been poor here always get tipped to move to the in MLS, no matter what their age etc. It makes me laugh. How often do players in their mid twenties actually move from the premiership to the MLS??

The SPL is a possibility, Russia unlikely. Most likely someone in the Premiership will take a punt on him when his time here is up. I doubt he has very much value at the moment, £3M perhaps. He certainly won't get a contract like his current one and that's the major issue with offloading him.

But I can't see how a move to the MLS would ever be a good idea for him ...then again he is a bit of a strange lad.

I think people tip the MLS because that could be the only place that would come close to paying him what we do.

I doubt other Premiership teams or Championship teams would pay him what we do, for what he brings to the team.

Edited by Ghost

Hmm, I doubt he'd get a particularly good deal in the US, and even so players in their 20's opt to play in the popular European leagues. He'll take a pay cut, and someone like west ham will take him on. It would be an unusual move to the MLS if it did happen, certainly not the norm.

There's a first time for everything I suppose.

The words "Steven Ireland" and "normal" are not something that should be used in the same sentence.  ;)

Come to think of it, I think that applies to the term "footballers" in general.

He didnt want to move to Birmingham which is close enough to Manchester. so cant imagine him wanting to go to Middle East, US or Russia. 

we are stuck with him until his contract expires

For me, he's probably the biggest let down of a signing I can remember for a long time. I don't know exactly why it hasn't worked out although I'm sure a few injuries, not really having a run in the team and being played in several positions have added to it but whatever the reason I don't subscribe to the lazy or don't care tags he is given. I don't know of any trouble he's caused, I have heard and seen him training hard and on the pitch I don't see a player not putting effort in, its almost a perception that has now become reality.

Shame really but he should be moved on as its just not happening.

Agreed entirely. I think it's really easy to slap the lazy tag on him, but he's been anything but in his time here. I bet even now that he's forced to train with the reserves he's still putting in 110% because that's the way he's described himself and has been described by others. 

Can't see any prem team going anywhere near him... In fact can't see anyone wanting him, especially with the wages he is on which were not his fault and you couldn't really blame him for not wanting to take a pay cut as we were stupid enough to offer it him..

I used to believe there was a good footballer in there and the right person could bring it out, I just wasn't sure he had the application.

I've changed my mind. He's a one season wonder, a fluke of a season from a poor premier league footballer. Look at Grant Holt, he's nowhere near good enough at this level, but had a wonder season last year.

The guy clearly needed special treatment, some ingenious man management, to get the best out of him. I don't know for certain but my impression is that Lambert doesn't do special treatment. 

I don't really blame him for that but I also think there are some players who are worth making an exception although in fairness Ireland probably wasn't one of these. 

To his credit you do see pics of him now and again on the OS doing community work etc. which is more than can be said of Dunne.

Not that we bought SI to do community work, just saying.

Why does every player who's ever been poor here always get tipped to move to the in MLS, no matter what their age etc. It makes me laugh. How often do players in their mid twenties actually move from the premiership to the MLS??

The SPL is a possibility, Russia unlikely. Most likely someone in the Premiership will take a punt on him when his time here is up. I doubt he has very much value at the moment, £3M perhaps. He certainly won't get a contract like his current one and that's the major issue with offloading him.

But I can't see how a move to the MLS would ever be a good idea for him ...then again he is a bit of a strange lad.

Is it because they drive a lot of ghey cars?

interesting point about the community work, but tbh, most of the players look like theyve been forced to do it as a 'publicity stunt', most of them would prefer to spend their time on the golf course

some players you could imagine saying "ye ok, ill do it for the press", like ireland, but others like dunne would say 2 words with the second being 'off'

Is his contract up this year?

He's still got one more year left.

I've no doubt we'll be paying him until 2014, no other P.L club who he'd get a game for will pay the wages he's earning with us.

Is his contract up this year?

He's still got one more year left.

I've no doubt we'll be paying him until 2014, no other P.L club who he'd get a game for will pay the wages he's earning with us.

Totes agree. I've no doubt we will accept a nominal fee for him (like sidwell who left for £250k) but who will be stupid enough to pay him over 50k a week?

Yeah he also seems the sort more than happy to sit and not play while earning big money.

I really did have high hopes for him but he's been a massive let down.

I dont blame him though. Im sure anybody on here would do the same thing if their boss paid them a big salary and not be asked to work. FWIW when he does play he gives his all and never any complaints about him not turning up for training or anything.

Its incredible to believe he is still only 27

Â