Stephen Ireland

omariqy

• 2 weeks later...

So as this thread is heading to drop off the bottom of page two, anyone know what the latest is with this little waster? He's not injured and he's not featuring in the squads.

Has he finally had his last drink from the last manager in the actual, real last chance saloon here? Has Lambert finally called time on his career here having decided that whatever positive attributes he may have just aren't worth the efforts it takes to get them reproduced?

for whatever reason, he hasnt been the hot prospect that was banded around about him before he came here, maybe weve actually ruined his career instead of him being the waste of space that hes been called?

theres no denying however that he has had games of brilliance, but he doesnt seem to keep it going, maybe he never actually ever wanted to come here, who knows, well, only him i guess, no doubt he will become a better player elsewhere when he leaves

for whatever reason, he hasnt been the hot prospect that was banded around about him before he came here, maybe weve actually ruined his career instead of him being the waste of space that hes been called?

theres no denying however that he has had games of brilliance, but he doesnt seem to keep it going, maybe he never actually ever wanted to come here, who knows, well, only him i guess, no doubt he will become a better player elsewhere when he leaves

He was treated the same by pretty much 4 managers in a row now. It might be us but it seems it's him. He has had chances. It's a shame he got such a big contract so early as maybe in a way that stopped him being able to find his level (whatever that is) and playing consistently. The wages he's on is an albatross around his neck, I think you could say. 

Their is talent there as we have seen in his career but think needs right leadership or system to get it out. Personally I think he gets a lot of unfair stick as when he does play he puts in the effort.

I do think he will actually retire at end of his contract

I think his contract is so generous that he's more or less retired already in everything but name. I've been waiting for him to come good and provide us with some desperately needed creativity for 3 years now but it ain't gonna happen. What a disastrous mistake it was to buy him.

I backed him to stay in the team when he was featuring but I always maintained it was because we had no-one else who could play the attacking midfield like he does and the formation we played needed someone there.

With the width we now play with this is becoming less of a requirement, plus N'Zogbia seems to be stepping up a reasonable amount to fill that position when we do need someone there.

So it speaks volumes that as soon as we find a solution where we don't need someone in that position, or we find someone else to play there, Ireland disappears from team sheets.

Lazy little waster. Lucky boy. Lambert played him in that Bradford game for a very good reason. So that he would either deliver or be found out in front of a full house against lowly opponents. Ridiculous signing.

• Like 1

Lazy little waster. Lucky boy. Lambert played him in that Bradford game for a very good reason. So that he would either deliver or be found out in front of a full house against lowly opponents. Ridiculous signing.

The one thing you cant call the lad is lazy. Always gives a lot in fact your most favorite quote about him seems to confirm this.

Funny though that he is not even on the bench. I know he isnt flavour of the month but it is weird that he is not left sitting on the bench as a last resort. Did something happen behind the scenes.

Of course something happened. Lambert is a manager who demands a high work ethic, a togetherness . Ireland does not fit into the "new villa". He needs to be moved out.

Like most of the posters I think Ireland has been given plenty of chances at Villa and has failed to deliver. Granted he probably never really wanted to be hear and has been in a declining side, but time and time again has not peformed. The odd little cameo aside such as Chelsea away last season he has been poor. He has great natural talent (probably more than Milner) but it looks like he is in a decline and will wind up as a 'what if' player. Yes he hasnt been first choice, but for an attacking midfielder not to score a single goal at home in 3 seasons is below feeble. I am still amazed he won player of the year last season- just shows how woeful it was!

Weird situation.

He looked far from the worst player in the team that was getting battered at the start of the season, but seems to have been chosen as the one who ain't getting back in since the turnaround.

Has got ability, and I'm sure I read one of the younger guys saying he was the best player in training at the start of the season, and for me it's not his effort in games that's lacking, it's just making it happen for the team. He didn't make the tidy play count at the start of the season, but the team was playing so badly, doesn't seem fair to nail him.

Problem is, he never carries any impact. Never seen him get hold of a game and run it. I don't think he has the desire or hunger. Mcallister was spot on with his empty crisp packet analogy

I was always Ireland's biggest apologist on here but not any more. He has contributed almost nothing and let's be honest, he isnt suddenly going to miraculously turn into 08-09 Ireland is he?

He should be the first player out the door in the summer. Terrible signing.

Â