Matthew Lowton

Qwpzxjor1

That's pretty harsh IMHO, Delaney was one of our strongest players, albeit at a time when the squad had zero investment in it. He did a solid job alongside Mellberg at CB because the club couldn't go and buy another centre half. He coaches at the club nowdays doesn't he?

I'm with lexicon. Lowton is a much, much better footballer than Delaney ever was. Delaney did a job for us but he was seriously dodgy.

i never rated delaney, couldnt stand him, only had half a game about him, can see lowton becoming so much better

but as ive just said in another thread, i cant see lowton getting into the england fold, england already had RB sorted for the next 10 yrs at least

Had the ball at his feet (97 times) more than Bannan (75), and had a better pass completion rate (86% to 80%) really think this guy is doing the business and looking very solid similar to Westwood, while perhaps flying under the radar.

He reminds me of Warnock (first six months of his Villa career anyway. Solid in defence.. comfortable on the ball but cant cross or get forward and create anything. Solid at the back though.

I think his defending is ropey at times to be honest.

Yeah I agree. It is only at times though, he's not a shambles back there and I think he's bloody great going forward. He's a good player....

He'll turn out to be better than Baines pretty soon

....but that's just silly ;-)

Thought he was superb last night. I actually didn't see too much of the dodgy defending people are alluding to but his blocks and tackles were brilliant and his passing in midfield when we had the ball was excellent.

I did panic when he gave the ball away with a backheel to no one on the edge of their box and they came up and attacked straight after.

I'm just stunned that people don't rate Delaney, far and away the best right back we've had in the premier. Once he got injured we never really replaced him. The man was a rock at the back and could pick passes and crosses week in week out for several seasons. Lowton is coming on nicely and with a bit of luck can replicate or go beyond the great work Delaney did

I'm just stunned that people don't rate Delaney, far and away the best right back we've had in the premier. Once he got injured we never really replaced him. The man was a rock at the back and could pick passes and crosses week in week out for several seasons. Lowton is coming on nicely and with a bit of luck can replicate or go beyond the great work Delaney did

Wow - can't really agree with you there. He got 7 assists in his entire career in the premier league, which isn't really indicative of great crossing ability - which I feel is a little tinted for you by nostalgia. I remember a rash tackler who gave away a lot of free kicks, had limited technical ability and was an overwhelmingly average player in a rather mediocre team. Luke Young was better than Delaney ever was.

lowton is shaping up nicely, for me he has been our best buy, benteke is getting the headlines but he cost 7 million, lowton has solved what for villa has been one of the troubleome spots over the last few years ( since young was played out of position on the lft and then dropped).

mellberg did solid enough but lowton looks like he will keep on improving, lets just hope its not 2nd season burn out which alot of players seem to have nowdays.

good signing by lambert

Â