Brett Holman

ozvillafan

decent player nothing special but probably at Villa at wrong time. Under Eck horrible style he probably would have looked half-decent but Lambert more etechnical style was probably not for him

wasnt that bad that even one game that Neville kept praising him

People saying he 'needs' regular first team football - in all honesty though, how much regular first team football do you need to play for Australia?!?!

They're not exactly overflowing with superstars.........

Anyway, bit of a shame as would have made a decent squad player I think but not good enough to be a regular starter and very admirable that he'd rather go play regularly for some team I've never heard of than sit on the bench here and collect a very nice wage I'm sure....

He won't be taking a pay cut where he is going..

I haven't said he would?

I read the last line of your post as implying that he had forgone decent wages here in order to play football.

I was just pointing out that won't be the case as he will still be getting decent money.

You didn't say he would be taking a cut but that was the impression given or that I took from the last bit of your post.

He was the kind of player you knew all about before he came here. He was old enough to be "judged" based on reports of his playing style, yet many had blind faith in the fact that he would become better just because we had signed him. I see so much of that on here, every time we sign a player he is suddenly extremely exciting and will surprise everyone. Not this one, he was slow, had abysmal control on the ball, lacked vision and generally compensated with running a lot. I appreciate energy and passion, but in this case it was always to hide the fact that he was a very bad footballer. A few shots here and there, a lucky assist from time to time and then a lot of dispossessing the ball to the other team. He is the anti-footballer really, we cannot have players like him when we are trying to establish an attack on the other side of the pitch. He was a McLeish-player after all, so he clearly didn't have a shot with Lambert anyway. Again, a very honest guy but there is no room for sentiment in football and never with players that aren't good enough. I have more leeway for good players, like N'Zogbia and Bent, they have shown in the past that they hold a very high level when they are on form. That is why we are giving them time and the benefit of the doubt, but for Holman, not so much.

Good luck to him, going to that club just says a lot about a footballer. Cannot understand why one would go to the Middle-East to play football instead of the US, where you actually have good coverage, fanatic support and great climate if you choose the right place.

Never cut out for this level... He tried and gave it his all but his all wasn't good enough... Cheers for the effort Brett - Someone is bound to want you.... Somewhere....

EDIT. That somewhere being the UAE apparently! Good on ya sport!

Edited by DJ_Villain

Good luck to him, going to that club just says a lot about a footballer. Cannot understand why one would go to the Middle-East to play football instead of the US, where you actually have good coverage, fanatic support and great climate if you choose the right place.

few Aussie internationals in UAE, closer to home and maybe no US clubs made a bid

squad player... can't fault his effort in the slightest, would much rather have a player who gave his all for the villa than some half arsed Mr Ireland. All the best for the future Brett!

• Like 1

Wish him well, just more evidence that Lambert knows what he's doing IMO. If all he did was set the benchmrk for effort for all our nippers while he was here it was all worth it. Great attitude and I sincerely hope he learns how to pass to his teammates one day. 

I thouhgt the new Des Bremner, someone elsesaid Frank Carradous and I'd go along with that too.

Someone else said N R Coker - nowhere near for me.....Holman was like an extra player and I would stick my neck out and say for all Vlaars intimidation and good defending, and Bentekes announcement of his talent, and the passing and everything else, for all that, I think |Holman was the key to it all, and the performance it would be most difficult to replicate, and the one we would miss most if injured, especially against ball playing oppositon like Swansea.

Not only the 100 times he closed people down, (often one after the other) but the example this set for the others, demanding by example that everybody joined in the fight together.

Brilliant display. Someone said not great coz it's not Messi - over a full season in this particular League, for this particular Club, at this time in the development , I would prefer Holman.

Had a little chuckle at this post, at the start of this thread.

A hard-worker who was not good enough technically to contribute here. Thanks Brett, but bye.

He was excellent that afternoon but faded as the game wore on. I thought we had a player on our hands admittedly.

I dread to think what other horrors McShit would have inflicted on us if Holman was anything to go by. Average beyond belief.

Ran & ran & ran & ran.

Oh yeh & he ran too.

Good job he finally ran to Al Nasr. Good luck with that at least your now off our bloody wage bill. Now let's hope we can get some more of the dead beats out the door pronto.

Â