Brett Holman

ozvillafan

glad he has left but good luck to him!

100% agree, he was brought in pre-Lambert and really doesn't fit with the revolution which he is trying to bring about the club.

While he was a grafter and hard worker when he played, too much inconsistency ruined it for him, along with a lack of true quality.

He didn't fit because he was shit, he couldn't trap a wet bag of cement and couldn't pass water. Obviously he has found his way onto easy street by going to a team in one of the worlds most Micky Mouse league, surely he can't even fail there?

In cancelling his contract don't we have to pay him off?  Whereas if we'd tried to sell him then wouldn't have?  Is that right?

No it was cancelled by mutual consent. No pay off afaik.

Well it's possible that the two 'parties' negotiated a payment that was below what Holman may have been entitled to based on his contact.

Either way, I'm just glad that we have gotten rid of one of the technically worst players this club has had in the last 20 years.

• Like 1

Appropriate move by both parties. For the club because he was technically sub-PL standard, unlikely to fetch a worthwhile fee and money was saved. For Brett Holman because he's on the precipice as an international starter - in fact he shouldn't have begun his last match ahead of eventual replacement Tom Rogic (Glasgow Celtic) - who needs to find confidence and form ahead of Brazil 2014. Even though, sadly but truly, so shallow is the talent pool that Australia awards the clubless its captaincy (see: Neill, Lucas), playing in Arabia instead of the Premier League won't hurt Holman if he's doing it well and regularly. Given his age and style, if he's ever noticed again by non-Aussie Villans it'll be as a scoring sub in the next World Cup.

From the "I told you so" files (though, it ended at 16 starts in 27 apps):

28wb3c.jpg

Edited by Borgs

Think some of the criticism of him is a bit over the top to be honest. He was nowhere near as bad as his wretched reputation on here.

Good luck to him, I would much rather he was in the team than a waster like Ireland.

He just doesn't fit the type of player Lambert is building here. We need a more creative presence in midfield now. Which os fair enough.

Brett was always going to be a player that gave it his all on the pitch - but I always suspected that we would not have the technical ability to play in the Premier League.  No shame in that - as many players aren't cut out for what's required to play in the PL. 

As an Aussie, I'm a little disappointed that he has decided to sign for a club in a non european league, however I guess faced with the choice between going to a less league - like the Dutch, where  has already played, or getting a nice pay packet in the Middle East, the latter option proved more attractive - cant really blame him for that. 

Anyway best of luck Brett.

• Like 1

Â